• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR VSlowLife's Pre-op Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hip4life

Country
United States United States
The best thing I took to wear at the hospital was a pair of flannel shorts (part of a pj set). They were warm enough (Feb surgery) but out of the way for the sequentials (mechanical pump stockings to prevent clots) and definitely a modesty help. It was easy to let everyone check my incision and it kept the ice pack from being directly on my skin. I just wore the beautiful designer hospital gown over my underwear and shorts and PT put another gown on me backwards as CricketHip described. I unfortunately had the IV until like 10 minutes before I rolled out the door home but it was only hooked up that first night and after that, only when they gave me the antibiotics that first 24 hours. My feet had matching designer socks with anti-skids on them to keep warm. Lol. So simple is best because the hospital will have you covered (great pun!) but be comfortable as well. I remember only bringing underwear, flannel shorts, maybe a t-shirt (which I never wore) and a “going home” fleece outfit and socks. I set up my bedside table with all the necessities like brush (for bed head), chap stick, earphones, etc. It looked like a cross between a mini bathroom counter and an office. It worked for me and I didn’t have to wait for someone to answer the call light to get something for me. Make yourself at home even if you’re only staying a short time. It’s one comfort you can do for yourself. ❤ Pat

OP
OP
VSlowLife

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
What a great idea! I can cut a pair of older flannels to do this and give them a quick hem. Thank you. My head phones are packed and a sleep mask. May bring an ensure or two.
I am bringing a surge protector for my cell charger, too.
Love d the matching designer socks! Au couture hospital gowns, too :) :-) (:

I always enjoy your posts!

OP
OP
VSlowLife

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
Gronomics is the name of the company that makes my cedar kneeling stool. Made in the USA. In Minnesota, I believe.

My handles are round in the picture it is difficult to tell if they are still round or squared. It lighter than the green metal frame kneeling stool. It flips like the green metal gardening stool. I find it more stable on the ground because more of my legs fit across it.

Stripey

Country
@VSlowLife You are getting so close and all of your preparation will pay off! I'm looking forward to hearing your report when you're on the other side. Here is a suggestion for your apres-surgery playlist, one that my sister sent me just before I went into surgery 5 years ago: Break On Through (To the Other Side) by the Doors, ca 1967.

Stripey

Country
I have a kneeling bench like yours that I bought some years ago after a back injury temporarily sidelined me in the garden (mine is metal, not wood). I love it! I've been using it around the house the past few weeks as I am having more and more difficulty (temporary) getting up from the floor without using my arms. I have it on my list to ask my surgeon how soon following surgery I can safely use it.

OP
OP
VSlowLife

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
My surgeon told me at least two months, in such a way, I think it may be closer to three months.....time will tell. We all heal at a different rate.

I also have the metal one. The wood type is lighter and more stable for me.

Fit4Family

post-grad
Country
Hello sweet friend. Relief is so close now. @VSlowLife

Hoping preparation is almost behind you and that you are ready for your amazing transformation, I know pain has been your constant companion so what a joy to know it will soon be gone. Recovery pain is not as difficult as bone pain.

Totally agree with @Hip4life flannel shorts are excellent addition. I took some of my sons sleeping boxers. Just a bit big, but perfect over incision and swelling. Also a longer sleeping tshirt. I ditched the hospital gown as soon as I got to my room. Too chilly and uncomfortable.

Finally, Eat well the next two days. Nothing hard to digest. Sweet potatoes, squash, cooked green veggies, lean chicken. Vitamin C too, I ate an orange a day. Really helps fight infection and stimulates healing. You will be in my prayers.

. christmas-angel

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Do they allow you to wear your own PJs at some point.
Believe it or not....I was instructed to bring clothes to put on in the initial recovery room, this before they even wheeled me to the room I was to spend the night in. In hindsight, I'm surprised they didn't make me walk to my room on my own instead of wheeling me. :heehee: Big meanies.

I went to Target and bought loose light weight elasticized waist yoga pants in black and a comfy black t-shirt also because who ever pays attention to black, right? It felt like pj's, but it was still my own clothing. I was comfortable and wore it for 24 hrs till I got home. Sans bra. I told the nurse I didn't want to put on a bra, I told her to leave it in my bag and she laughed and said I don't blame you. I had a big gash in my leg and wanted to be comfy, heck with the stupid bra. :nah:

You definitely win the award for most prepared. At least in the time since I've been here. Now watch, you'll get a flat tire on the way.....Just kidding! Trying to add some levity. We can't lose our sense of humor in it all. There are many humorous moments you'll back on for sure.

A peaceful evening to you!

Stripey

Country
@VSlowLife Every hospital has its own rules. I was not allowed to wear anything on my "nether regions" while in the hospital. It helped to have a lightweight knee-length robe with a snap front. The PT folks didn't seem to care if my business was all on display in the busy hallway while I was going through my practice sessions with walker and crutches :shocked:, so I was glad I was prepared. Good luck - you are getting so close! :flwrysmile:

OP
OP
VSlowLife

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
Hoping preparation is almost behind you and that you are ready for your amazing transformation,
Thank you for all your good wishes and great ideas!

I am getting so close I got nervous today and baked a batch of high fiber, peanut butter, oatmeal, coconut and walnut cookies! Not in my plan, but I guess, I just wanted to do something comforting. I miss cooking from scratch.

It helped to have a lightweight knee-length robe with a snap front. The PT folks didn't seem to care if my business was all on display in the busy hallway while I was going through my practice sessions with walker and crutches :shocked:
That settles it. My short, silk, summer robe that is as light as a feather will work. It has wide sleeves. thanks so much @Stripey !

OP
OP
VSlowLife

VSlowLife

post-grad
Country
Agree!

Sans bra. I told the nurse I didn't want to put on a bra, I told her to leave it in my bag and she laughed and said I don't blame you. I had a big gash in my leg and wanted to be comfy, heck with the stupid bra. :nah:
Yes, the mechanic checked my car for the trip, but hopefully being there a day early helps, with any roadside assistance issues.

I do have some larger drawstring PJs from a friend.

I appreciate all the great suggestions and the wealth of experience which resides in this forum, as well as the friendships.

This forum makes a difference in easing some of the stress.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
The PT folks didn't seem to care if my business was all on display in the busy hallway while I was going through my practice
I would have cared!
I think it's important to show respect for a person and preserve their dignity.
Forcing them to show their nether regions is the opposite of allowing dignity and it runs directly counter to what I was taught as a nurse.

I cannot think of any justifiable reason why a patient should not be allowed to use underwear, or to wear their own clothes, if they wish.

Stripey

Country
@Celle You will get no argument from me - I agree 100% about personal dignity. In the hospital's defense, I think reasons for the "no underwear" rule were entirely practical. I had a fresh incision that straddled the crease between my thigh and trunk that they needed to check frequently. I had to use a bedpan one time and was frequently up with help to use the bedside commode. It was just easier not to deal with undergarments. We were allowed to wear our own things, such as a robe; but in my case for the one night I was there - not underpants, and I suspect they would not have allowed a bra either (but who wants to wear one of those if they don't have to?)

When I was first helped out of bed a few hours after my surgery, I was just in my peek-a-boo hospital gown. With only my sister and the young female PT present in the room I didn't think anything of it. However, when she directed me to proceed out into the hallway on my walker, I balked and my sister quickly pulled my robe out of my overnight bag and put it on me. Maybe it was just that one staff person who was thoughtless, and maybe she was in a hurry to finish up so she could go home for the day, but we both thought it was very odd and laughed about it later. I am glad I was prepared.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Popping in now before I get into doing some housework. Want to wish you the best surgery tomorrow, nice and easy, pain well controlled after and you rest easy tonight. Tomorrow is the start of a whole new adventure and you're going to be amazed. Can't wait to see you on the recovery side! :friends: :thumb:

Hip4life

Country
Wishing you a smooth and uneventful surgery. Tomorrow all your hard work and planning will begin to pay off and you will be singing goodbye to that hip pain. We will be looking forward to your updates from the healing side when you’re up to it. Angel blessings for comfort, pain control, and peaceful rest. ❤ Pat.

leejaa

supremo
Country
Wishing you the best tomorrow and a pain controlled smooth recovery. See you on the sunny side (recovery) tomorrow. I am looking forward to your future writing as to how your preparations made it easier for you at home. You are an awesome planner. :flwrysmile::dogsniff:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
chica
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom