TKR Very tight knee after 8 months

Thank you for your help and guidance ... I'm getting very depressed having been out of commission for so long. But noting your advice that it will take a year + for the tightness to go away gives me some solace and that I'm not alone.

As for the otc pain meds ...

I start with a natural concoction of 1 Magnesium Glycinate and 2 Turmeric and Boswellia pills around 9 pm hoping that I won't need anything more.

Normally by 12:30 not being comfortable and not being able to fall asleep I take 2 Advils ... and then i wake up aching around 4;30 -5:00 so I take 2 extra strength Tylenols.

This is more than what I used to take before my operation which is why it's so frustrating.
 
However, I'm curious if anyone else at this stage of their recovery has their knee feeling very tight like there is a large rubber band around it
The tight band feeling is really common and can last up to a year. I think it is due to the knee being a really small constrained joint space and even tiny amounts of fluid make it feel tight.
I found it gradually faded away, coming later in the day and being milder. I can still get a tiny bit of it now at 18 months if I have had a very tough day of childcare for my grandson and been on my feet all day.
I found elevation and ice helped even many months after surgery.
 
Have you tried resting your knee on a cool pack/ ice jacket to sleep?
I used to unwrap the cool water jacket of my Aircast Cryocuff and sleep with my knee resting on it. I would then refresh the icy cold water in the night if I woke.
 
Normally by 12:30 not being comfortable and not being able to fall asleep I take 2 Advils ... and then i wake up aching around 4;30 -5:00 so I take 2 extra strength Tylenols.
If this is a daily occurrence, you should consider changing your approach. Rather than waiting until you are in pain to take the Advil or Tylenol, be proactive and take it before you need it.

Chasing pain is rarely successful; you need to get ahead of it. You might want to look at this article again as a refresher on pain management.
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart

I agree with EalingGran about the icing as well. Multi-modal pain management -- like combining ice, elevation and pain meds -- are usually more effective than just taking pain meds alone.
 
Have you tried resting your knee on a cool pack/ ice jacket to sleep?
I used to unwrap the cool water jacket of my Aircast Cryocuff and sleep with my knee resting on it. I would then refresh the icy cold water in the night if I woke.
i do still ice but certainly not as much as i use to .. ill try icing again before bed
 
Normally by 12:30 not being comfortable and not being able to fall asleep I take 2 Advils ... and then i wake up aching around 4;30 -5:00 so I take 2 extra strength Tylenols.
If this is a daily occurrence, you should consider changing your approach. Rather than waiting until you are in pain to take the Advil or Tylenol, be proactive and take it before you need it.

Chasing pain is rarely successful; you need to get ahead of it. You might want to look at this article again as a refresher on pain management.
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart

I agree with EalingGran about the icing as well. Multi-modal pain management -- like combining ice, elevation and pain meds -- are usually more effective than just taking pain meds alone.
When speaking to others about their TKR, the common census was that they all mentioned one day out of no where, they did not have pain .... so i guess that's what I am hoping for ... every night .. but I won't chase for a few weeks and see how that works.
 
Hello! Sorry to hear about your night time pain. I’m curious how you feel about any of the creams you mentioned in a previous post (ketamine, CBD) and Boswellia? Helpful?
 
Hello! Sorry to hear about your night time pain. I’m curious how you feel about any of the creams you mentioned in a previous post (ketamine, CBD) and Boswellia? Helpful?
The creams were zero help frankly

For the record, I also had ...
- I had an Aspiration done (draining the fluid) and checked for infection - negative nor helpful
- I had an EMG nerve test which showed neuropathy in both legs but nothing that would make me experience such pain.
- I had laser and Ultrasound = Nothing
- I had Game Changer icing - Nothing
- I had scrapping - helped
- I had dry needling - nothing
- Cupping - nothing
- Massage - nothing
- Kinetic Taping - helped a little
- Mymotion pain device - useless
- tens machine
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can imagine you are frustrated! One more idea…shockwave therapy? Sorry if it’s annoying to have more suggestion put out there.
 
That’s basically what the Mymotion device is

But at this stage I’ll try anything new
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried a heating pad? At this point in your recovery, heat is just fine to use. Or, if you’re trying icing, you might ice both the front and back of your knee as you are sleeping. I did that with both my knees (replaced a year apart) and only needed to replace the gel packs once during the night when I got up to use the bathroom. That worked for me.

You also want to be sure that you are properly hydrating throughout the day. Sometimes dehydration can cause problems with the muscles in your legs when trying to sleep.
 
This may sound a little silly, but when my knee began throbbing at night, I got up and walked around for a few minutes and it went away, sometimes long enough to get to sleep. Sometimes not. In any event, 2-3 hours of sleep is all I get each night to this day. I am 14 weeks post op and still have stiffness and pain when bending knee. I have completed 16 PT sessions and I can use the knee normally. I try not to take any NSAID's, but after a few days I relent and take celebrex or meloxicam for a few days just to get a break from the discomfort. Hopefully this will improve going forward. I am somewhat angry because the PT program caused my hips to become painful and my other knee to flare up (this is being replaced in a few months anyway, but still) . The PT people are well meaning but I think at times are unrealistic about how much exercise a 69 year old arthritic person can tolerate. PT ALWAYS made my pain worse. I have scaled way back on PT exercises.
 
After 2 + years the time has come for a knee revision .... a new doctor will hopefully bring better results ... I am having my revision surgery this coming Wednesday ,,, the new surgeon said my first doctor didn't put a large enough spacer between the 2 prosthetic's which left my knee unstable and causing pain for the last 2 years... he also said there was a issue with my patella ... so watch this space !
 
I’m sorry to read that you need a revision but I hope it will be very successful. I’m sorry that didn’t work out the first time.

Since you were here last Bonesmart has begun a 2-tiered membership program. Basic Members and members of the Insiders Club. Just to let you know, you are currently a Basic Member, which enables you to only search the forums, and read about other recoveries, and post on threads that are already established.

If you want a more personal and interactive experience as you go through this revision, as well as input from the Bonesmart Staff, I hope you will choose one of our options to become a member of the Insiders Club. Here are some links for you to check out:
Membership/Insiders Club
Guidelines for Posting

You can also join the Insiders Club easily by clicking on your username and avatar and then selecting MEMBERSHIP in the drop-down menu.

We are a non-profit organization and the small contribution cost goes toward keeping BoneSmart available for everyone.

Best Wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Hello mtcwp,
So sorry you're facing a revision this week. Two days from now is your new beginning. We'd love to follow your healing journey, and support and encourage you along the way. I hope you'll share updates and know that we're here for you. Wishing you comfort, peace and perfect healing. :thumb:
@mtcwp
 
Best Wishes tomorrow!
Hope to follow your healing journey. You know where to find us. :wink:
@mtcwp
 
Hi there mtcwp :wave:
It is one month to date since your revision and I'm wondering how you're doing? Hopefully you're pleased with your progress. Please share an update when you have the time, we'd love to hear from you.
Happy One Month Anniversary and a great weekend to you! :)
@mtcwp
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom