Guest viewing is limited

TKR Very grateful for shared stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on the good report. Sounds wonderful to be in the pool. Have a great week end. :flwrysmile:
 
I took a very deep breath this morning and went off to my regular mat pilates class. I wasn't sure if I would be able to do anything; I knew I couldn't do anything on my knees. Fortunately, it was mostly abs, quads, and hips. I finished all or mostly all of every set. I even managed to hold a plank for 15 seconds.
Now i am icing and really glad there is no exercise class tomorrow!
 
Sounds as if you are a model bonesmart recoverer. You did your due diligence. And pass with flying colors. The mantras are life savers if executed properly. Best of luck. Ill be reading post just so that I know what I will be getting into in February. I am pre op but have been actively reading Bonesmart daily. Bye
 
Thanks, icep707. I think I have done a few things right. I knew the surgery was in my future. I am not a gym rat, but I did start an exercise program 2 years ago and I stuck with it. I think it has made a big difference, even if I haven't managed to lose any weight. My general health is good and I don't have any underlying issues. The first ten days or so are just pretty miserable. What I think helped me initially was I did not have staples or stitches. The surgeon used a new adhesive tape to close the incision, which meant there was one less discomfort. It also meant I could shower immediately. In hindsight, I might consider skipping home PT. The flip side is that it is someone visiting to look at the wound and know what it should look like. Neither of the two visiting nurses were particularly knowledgeable about orthopedics. I canceled the 3rd visit.
I am still taking Tylenol and Ibuprofen. Sleep is still sometimes elusive. By late afternoon I am just tired and at 7:00pm I want to crawl into bed.
As long as I am "mindful" of heel to toe and bending my knee, I do not limp. That to me is huge after so many years of limping.
Merry Christmas and good luck! It is a miracle not to have a hurting knee!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Very grateful for shared stories
Hope you and yours have had a wonderful Christmas holiday with lots of family fellowship and sharing of gifts and lots of good food to eat.


I’ll be looking for you at the BoneSmart annual New Year’s Party. It’s been a very eventful year for most of us---and will be a very eventful year coming up for others of us looking forward to surgery in the new year.


Remember to bring food and drink to share---and pictures are always appreciated and loads of fun to share.


SEE YOU AT THE PARTY!!!!!
[Bonesmart.org] Very grateful for shared stories
bottomshollow
 
This is my 7th week post LTKR. My stamina is improving, not in leaps and bounds, but it is definitely better. Swelling is not an issue in the morning. As the day goes on, it increases but continues to improve. Yesterday I managed Pilates, a lunch date, and a walk in the afternoon. This was followed by an intimate encounter with ice. Thursday will be my last PT and I am delighted. While it's been beneficial, I think the things I am doing on my own and in the pool are helping equally as much.
I have not been able to do jump board at Pilates since April so yesterday I gave it a try. The quad was willing but the whole leg, not so much. I jumped with the right and moved the left and that seemed to keep both legs, and me, happy!
2013 was a momentous year for me. I bought a house and moved cross country. I sold a cottage in an area where my family had lived for over 100 years. My mother died. I have gone from limping to not limping.
Happy New Year and new knees to all!
 
I went to my last PT and had a different therapist. This one actually watched me and listened to what I had to say and upped the ante considerably. He answered some questions, which he probably had answered a thousand times before, and was very motivating. All the same, I am moving on with my own activities: pool and Pilates for now. He said I could ride my bike, but I am not sure I am ready for that quite yet.
 
Finding that balance between keeping the knee moving and gradually regaining your strength and making sure you rest, ice etc. can be tricky. Sounds like you are doing great. -
 
My stamina is improving, not in leaps and bounds, but it is definitely better. Swelling is not an issue in the morning. As the day goes on, it increases but continues to improve.
Sounds just like me at that period of time---I would wake up, feel great, but as the day wore on, my knees would get stiffer.

One's stamina is one of the last to acquire---it does take time, but you are making solid progress!

Finding that balance between keeping the knee moving and gradually regaining your strength and making sure you rest, ice etc. can be tricky.
yep---sometimes we overdo things, sometimes we take it easy---it is like finding the Yin and the Yang, I guess. Slowly we just learn and have a feeling as to what we can do and what we should not.
 
My new knee will be 9 weeks old tomorrow. Happy knee-day to all. Shortly before I had my surgery, an article appeared in the paper about Dame Judi Dench. She had walked up a red carpet at some gala six weeks post TKR without a cane or walker. I never believed I would be so fortunate: I have been very blessed.
Yesterday I put on my hiking shoes and we drove up to one of my favorite trails. I used my poles and kept one eye on the terrain and one eye on DH's watch. I got across the river, dry and in one piece, and turned around. Didn't break any distance or speed records, but I got out there and back. I don't know that a nap ever felt so rewarding!
I am continually inspired by the stories, heartaches, and victories bonesmarties share. Let's all keep on going!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Week 10 proved to be my most challenging week because I seriously over did it at the end of week 9. I was feeling so good I drastically increased my activity level. I should have thought things through a little bit (or a lot) before adding in an extra hike and additional Pilates. Anyway, Week 10 provided me with lots of quiet elevating moments with ice and reduced activities. I read some books, played Candy Crush, and watched more episodes of House Hunters than anyone should.
Week 11 is starting off much better and I am exercising carefully 3x a week. I might try a longer walk, but not a hike, later this afternoon.
On the day of my knee surgery, demolition and construction started on an addition to my house. The good news is the addition and the knee are on the right track. I could not ask for nicer construction workers.
 
Sounds like you,your knee and your house are doing well. We are reminded quickly when we try to do too much but the knee says "not yet". A few more weeks and you can do your hikes again and enjoy them so much more.
 
Thanks, leejaa. I have had a mostly uneventful recovery and I am very grateful. I was hoping to move more. I know I will get there. I wasn't expecting the recovery time from the overdoing it to take so many days!
Stay warm, we usually get to Ithaca a couple of times a year. This winter, those folks are coming here.
 
Lucky friends to be able to run away to see you and get some sunshine and warmth. It has been a bit colder than normal this year. We often had the cold but usually not for such extended periods. Still, at least we are prepared for this vs so many areas in the south.

Have a great day. Lee
 
I am twelve weeks out tomorrow. Today was my 2nd day without Tylenol or Naproxen. We had a nice, peaceful walk for over an hour this morning. It's the end of the day and I feel good. I am so blessed.
 
I am working my way through Week 14. I tried hiking again today. I went out for 40 minutes, turned around and came back. It felt great--firm and level terrain, and a small amount of rock hopping across the river.
 
Wonderful!
 
I am just back from Ortho doc appointment. My range of motion is "remarkable" and "excellent" and I do not go back for 9 months. If I were 30 some years younger, I could have a baby in that time frame! Continuing on with Pilates! It rocks.
 
I am continuing to increase my activity level. I am light hiking 3 miles round trip without any discomfort. What my knee does not seem to like is standing still in one place. Walking good, standing-not so much. The Percocet has been tossed in the back of the freezer. The Tylenol is no longer on the counter, it's in the cabinet. I like this new knee.
 
The 19th post op week just sort of snuck up on me and I continue to be pleased with my progress. Today at Pilates I was able to do something which had eluded me until today. I was able to bend my knee more than ever before. Using only my bend left leg, I was able to bring the reformer all the way in. I was able to bring my heel almost to my butt. It didn't even hurt and I am thrilled.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom