Guest viewing is limited

THR Upstate NY Direct Anterior #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I'm just reading your thread. My anterior right THR is scheduled for December 12th and will hopefully have the left in a few months. Just wondering where about in upstate NY? I'm near Albany. Hope all is well!
 
Hello. I'm just reading your thread. My anterior right THR is scheduled for December 12th and will hopefully have the left in a few months. Just wondering where about in upstate NY? I'm near Albany. Hope all is well!
Hi hipsrus, I'm near Albany also. My surgeries were done at St Peter's Hospital. I was very happy with both the surgeon (I'm not sure if I can name him here) and with my hospital care. It has been 10 months since my first THR and just over 6 months since the second. I am very happy with the results. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to compare notes about the particulars. Your surgery date is coming right up! Best wishes!!!!
 
Hi hipsrus, I'm near Albany also. My surgeries were done at St Peter's Hospital. I was very happy with both the surgeon (I'm not sure if I can name him here) and with my hospital care. It has been 10 months since my first THR and just over 6 months since the second. I am very happy with the results. Feel free to contact me if you'd like to compare notes about the particulars. Your surgery date is coming right up! Best wishes!!!!

That's where I will be having surgery as well! My preop appointment is tomorrow. If you don't mind, I'd love to ask you some questions. Let me know the best way (on here, email etc..)
 
@hipsrus Please don't use email/PM to ask questions. Post them here so that other members will benefit from input.

@matisse It's perfectly fine to name a surgeon on this site. Please do!
 
Thanks Jaycey. I wanted to make sure I wasn't hijacking this thread with my particular questions!

Matisse- if you are comfortable answering here are a few of my questions:

Which surgeon did you have? (I have Dr. Fletcher)
Did you use assitive devices including the sock thing, elevated toilet seat, shower chair etc..?
How long did you stay in hospital?
How did you like the distance of time between surgeries that you had?

Thanks!
 
Thanks Jaycey. I wanted to make sure I wasn't hijacking this thread with my particular questions

Matisse- if you are comfortable answering here are a few of my questions:

Which surgeon did you have? (I have Dr. Fletcher)
Did you use assitive devices including the sock thing, elevated toilet seat, shower chair etc..?
How long did you stay in hospital?
How did you like the distance of time between surgeries that you had?

Thanks!
Dr. Fletcher was my surgeon. :) You are in top notch hands. St Peter's has a ward dedicated to hip replacement patients. I felt well cared for.

I needed assistive devices in the months leading up to the surgeries that were helpful after. I got an elevated toilet seat, and also a stand that fit behind the seat and provided me with arm rests to help me get up. I got a stool for the shower and a bar that clamped on the side of my tub. I had a gripper/picker upper thing on every floor (these are useful even if you don't have bum hips!). My mom passed her sock thing to me, It worked ok, but I tended to just go without socks. A friend installed handles on either side of my front door on the outside to help me get up a tall step. She also installed a series of handles going down my basement stairs and at the top of the stairs going to the second floor where I would run out of handrail but still need help managing the top step. The handles were a game-changer as my hip joints became increasingly unstable (along with my balance) before the surgeries. They were very helpful after surgeries as well. At my PT's recommendation, I found a cheap electric recliner with stand assist. I was able to take naps in it during the first weeks after surgery. (A sleep mask to block light is helpful for sleeping during the day.)

For each surgery, I spent one night in the hospital. It seemed like a good length of stay for my situation. I had someone to help me for a few days after I got home. (Do you?)

I would have had the second surgery sooner! If I remember correctly, I made an appointment with Dr Fletcher to get the process going for the second surgery when I went for the two-week post-op check for first surgery. Even though we had determined I needed both hips replaced the first time he saw me, they couldn't schedule me for the second surgery until I had a second "intake" appointment with the surgeon. Both times, he was scheduling surgeries 3 months forward.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to make sure I wasn't hijacking this thread with my particular questions!
Not at all. These are great questions! Sounds like you are in good hands!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom