TKR Ups and downs (11 weeks post op)

Hey Gel-girl, thanks for your reply. I never thought of vitamin E. I have some, I think. (We moved 2 weeks before surgery, so the unpacking was rushed and lots of things are still hiding somewhere.)
 
I'm not bothered by that so I use regular oat based OTC aveno. My wife's friend, an RN, told her to get me some coconut oil and to massage my scar with that. I tried it once but it left my skin "oily".
 
It was Aveeno that made my scar sting. My skin was never this fussy before. Coconut oil I have. And I know where to find it!

By the way, look what came up on my phone's Flipboard in the wee hours of the morning. I guess it's old news, but I was shocked. The word doesn't seem to have got out in the US.

( The Forum doesn't allow for outside links. This is a headline from BBC News, and I noticed that Newsweek picked up the story about 2 hours ago. It should be easy enough to find this or a similar article by searching the web.)


Skin creams containing paraffin linked to fire deaths
 
Last edited:
My OS' info said Palmer's cocoa butter with Vitamin e. Smooth, but a bit oily going on. I just used CeraVe (the cream in the jar--which I use anyway) on my skin after my broken wrist surgery.
 
It's been 11 weeks since surgery. At this point, pain is almost a non-issue, other than swelling and stiffness after sitting with feet on the floor. Energy continues to be my problem. Even now, I can wipe out after just a little activity or, like today, after no activity at all. There have been a few really good days, but they're not forming a trend yet.

I had planned a visit with friends this weekend. When I planned it, I thought at 3 months I'd certainly be up for the 3 hours drive, the sitting in sessions playing music, and just hanging out at all hours. Today I was forced to admit I'm not up for it. When my energy drains, home is where I want to be.

If possible, I'll give myself the consolation prize of sitting in with my band for our gig at the Farmers Market on Saturday. I'll probably crash afterwards, but at least I'll be crashing at home.

Right now I'm keeping up my spirits by reading the recovery threads of people who are ahead of me by a month or more. There are some really good stories out there.
 
You sound like you are coming along well. Tiring easy at 11 weeks is very common.

I’m sorry you’re not up to your trip, but you are very wise to listen to your knee and let it dictate the recovery. Not everyone does that and they pay the price!
 
@Rayna, what kind of a band do you have and what do you play? Will you be able to sit while joining in with them?
 
@sistersinhim, I play primarily Old Time music. A lot of people confuse it with Bluegrass, but it's actually the roots of Bluegrass. It comes from the fiddle and dance music of the Southern Appalachian mountains.

In my band, I play clawhammer banjo and sing. We sometimes sit to play at farmers markets, but standing is more common at pubs and most other events. The year or two before knee surgery, it became quite difficult to perform standing. Sitting was easier, but then my knee would get stiff the longer I sat and I could hardly walk afterwards. Basically, I couldn't win either way. :shrug:
 
The music and playing in a band sounds great! I’m sure it’s a both a lot of work and a lot of fun! And it will be much more fun when your knee is healed!
 
It's been 10 weeks since surgery. I'm finding I don't have to rest nearly as much as I did just 3 weeks ago. The energy drains are happening less often, and they are less intense. What's bothering me now is itchiness around my scar. It's driving me mad. The scar itself is a little flaky. The itching is on the neighboring skin. I'm not sure what is safe to do to relieve the itching, especially since I moisturized my entire knee, including scar, a few weeks ago and the scar burned like crazy the rest of that day. Since then, I'm wary of treating the scar and surrounding skin, so I've been leaving it alone except for some gentle washing in the shower.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice?

I’ve used a few drops of Young Living frankincense essential oil diluted with some grapeseed oil to rub on my scar and it seems to work well.
 
I am the harmonizer in a duet singing ministry. Sitting is almost impossible when singing, so we didn't. The last few years before my tkr, we had to give it up because I couldn't stand more than about 15 minutes at the time. I was OK to do one or two songs, but that was my limit. This past fall we finally were able to do an hour program again! It felt wonderful being able to get back to doing what I love to do! It's amazing what a new knee will do for a person! All the physical things that I couldn't do are now achievable! That makes all the pain of recovery well worth it!
 
Oh gosh, I remember being exhausted after going to the theater at around 3 months and thinking, “What? All I did was sit and watch a show!” But of course there was the walking from the parking garage to the theater, the stairs, the up and down for other guests, and... well, it was more than my usual activity. But still. It takes a while for your energy to get back to normal. Mine was good at 4 months, and I would say it got back to actual normal at six months. I’m still saying, hey, I have more energy this month! But you will get back up to close to full speed soon.
 
Last edited:
I think the energy is God's way of making sure we don't overdo! It took months for it to go completely away for me. I followed the activity schedule pretty closely, as much as I could, and had a good recovery.
 
I appreciated reading the link, thank you. Yes, there are SO many opinions out there, I like reading them and then choosing what feels right for me.
 
Week 12 has been a banner week, and I'm feeling pretty good. I played my first gig since surgery on Saturday. It was early in the day at a farmers market, so I wasn't too concerned about wiping out. Just playing on a beautiful day with my friend on guitar and her son on fiddle, I felt so alive and part of the world again. When I got up after several hours playing, I just started walking, no stiffness or pain! Before the tkr, I would have had to wait until my knee could move again.

Sleeping has become almost effortless over the past week. I'm still tired a lot, so I get in bed early and read until I'm sleepy. Then I sleep for 8 or 9 hours. I also have at least one nap during the day. I guess I'm catching up. In my pre-surgery days, I never needed more than 7 hours sleep.

I saw my surgeon today for the 3-month followup. He says everything looks good. He eyeballed my ROM at 0 and 125. He wants me to rebuild the quad muscle on my right leg as it's weaker than the one on my left leg.

On the way back from my appointment, I did some errands in the town center. I was halfway up the steps to the bank before I noticed I was going up the regular way, step over step!

Last night, I drove 45 minutes each way to a pub session (the longest trip since surgery). It was great being out and seeing friends. When I got up at the end of the session, my knee just worked! One of my friends reminded me that last time I was there (pre-tkr), I had to grab his arm for balance when I got up to leave the circle.

The only cloud right now is that since my walk up the steep hill to my house the other day, my back has been twitching and threatening to spasm. I think I lost some core strength these last 3 months and will have to win it back.

If this recovery has taught me anything, it's to not expect straight line progress. I won't be surprised if there's a bit of a down after this up. For now, though, I'm just enjoying the moment.
 
Wow, that’s great do feel so good this soon!!!
 
Your recovery is coming along great! You're right, you'll still have some ups and downs, but not nearly as many downs as in the past. So glad to hear you got back to playing your music. It's something about doing music that lifts the soul!
 
Great report!
 
Wow, Rayna! Reading about your music and that you were able to play with your friend and her son brought a big smile to my face. Groups like yours play at a market I frequent in my neck of the woods. I always stop to listen. You make lots of people happy every time you play. :roseshwr:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom