Guest viewing is limited

THR Update 9 months post op...

Interesting, in that many of the exercises for bulging disks involve yoga poses. "Bird dog", "Cobra Stretch" and "Child's Pose"...
Yes! That's exactly why I ended up with yoga!
 
You just had a THR, be mindful when doing Yoga. Many of the stretches for your back can put strain on a new healing hip and can put you in a risk to dislocate. I found it very good for my hips and especially my back but you have to be careful.
 
Thanks for your response and ideas regarding sciatica. I have read that disk issues, in some cases, can resolve on their own accord with PT and exercise. But I gather every situation/person is different.
I am in agreement with you. I am one who recovered without surgery.
 
Thanks for your response and ideas regarding sciatica. I have read that disk issues, in some cases, can resolve on their own accord with PT and exercise. But I gather every situation/person is different.
I am in agreement with you. I am one who recovered without surgery.
Thanks @CricketHip! I just had a consultation with a neurologist this morning and she ran an EMG and performed other tests. The good news is that the the nerve issue is contained to the outer core of the nerve (which she explained - relates to sensation/numbness and pain). The inner core of the nerve relates to muscle strength and thankfully, my muscle strength is fine. We scheduled an injection two weeks from today (the earliest appointment they had but I am on a waiting list should someone cancel an appointment).

The neurologist told me there is a high probability that an injection (done with a live imaging/x-ray to guide her) combined with physio will result in a successful outcome. I am hopeful! Keeping my fingers crossed that someone cancels before my appointment in 2 weeks...lol! One can dream....!!
 
If you read enough posts on here you'll know what your OS will say ahead of time. He'll say eberything in the x-ray looks good and don't do anything that hurts. You can also see where just about every therapist thinks we all need to be on some fast track or we'll never walk again. I don't know what you mean by a PT "attacking" your IT Band and glutes. Just me but I wouldn't want any PT handling me if hat's what they did.
You know, I have to give my surgeon a LOT of credit! I wrote to him a week or so ago, and said I thought I had neuropathy or sciatica. Fast forward and at my appointment, he ran a series of flexion tests which went well. And then he said, "I want you to walk on your heels and toes; can you do that?" I had no idea but gave it a go and had no issues with either exercise.

"Okay" he says, "I think you were right that you have sciatica. There does not appear to be any muscle issues from my evaluation." He then shook my hand and apologized and said, "This is not the outcome I expected nor wanted for you. I am sorry for your pain! But, I will get you to a neurologist ASAP and get this pain sorted." I got into the neurologist in one day; she/the neurologist was shocked as she is booked through June for new patients. But my surgeon runs the hip department so I gather he pulled strings...

My hip looks good given the x-rays; I just need to deal with the sciatica/bulging disc.

I really appreciated this surgeon's manner and apology. How many surgeon's would EVER do that in the US?? (I am from the US as background) My guess is zero! But surgeons here, in Switzerland, don't have to worry about litigation.

The neurologist thinks, as do I, that they had to contort my back in an extreme way given my "dense" bones and that is what caused the bulging disc. I never had any back pain nor sciatica before the surgery. You know, I am just happy I have a diagnosis and that my surgeon, was decent enough to apologize. "It is what it is" to quote my late Mom. If I didn't have dense bones, they probably would not have to manipulate my hip/back the way they did...

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel - and I could use some work on my core/abs. I am feeling really positive at the moment! Thanks for your support and encouragement; I really appreciate it!
 
Yes! That is good news and a good start.
Epidurals (steroid) have kept me in good shape when needed.
 
Thankfully you're feeling positive and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.
It's your two month anniversary today and I wish things were better for you, but hold on to hope with the thought of brighter days on the way! Have a wonderful Easter weekend!
@wahoou
 
Thanks @Layla! I had an EMG with the neurologist a week ago and while it wasn't exactly a "pleasant" test...lol! - it revealed that the nerve issue only pertains to the outer core of the nerve (which relates to pain/sensation) and does not involve any muscles which is good news!

Just had a lumbar cortisone injection on Wednesday. Typically, they inject in the sacral joint L5S1, but go figure despite two attempts, they had to resort to Plan B, and inject directly in my L5 vertebrae. (Meanwhile, I kept thinking "These darn dense bones!":heehee:).

I had a little relief yesterday but I still have numbness and nerve zingers (albeit not as intense). The zingers are less frequent as well. I was told it could take up to a week to reap the full benefits, so we shall see...

Wishing you all a lovely Easter weekend!!
 
Hi all,

Thought I would give an update as I am 3 months post op. I developed sciatica soon after my operation and an MRI revealed a bulging disk in the L4/L5 vertebrae. It's funny how one goes into surgery hoping to correct one issue and comes out with another! Met with a neurologist and thankfully, my muscle strength was/is intact - just the nerve pain (tingling, numbness, and zingers) is/was the issue. Had a cortisone injection one month ago which helped a bit with the pain but still struggled with sciatica.

The neurologist prescribed me Lyrica but I read that it can be addictive and difficult to wean off. So I compromised with the neurologist and agreed to take a heavy dose of ibuprofen (600 msg 3x a day) for a week which is a lot for someone who doesn't like taking pain meds! The neurologist explained that my nerve is angry and inflamed and the ibuprofen can help mitigate the inflammation. I also asked if the neurologist would refer me to a PT who specializes in spine/back issues at the hospital and she agreed.

I am not sure if it was the delayed effect of cortisone, the ibuprofen or the PT spine sessions (I have had 4 thus far) but my sciatica is much better. I still get some tingling and numbness but I can live with it! Played Pickleball last Wednesday and yesterday for the first time in 9 months and all went well (except I need to work on fitness!) I seem to experience less tingling the day after I play - go figure! I still have numbness around the incision which is typical I have been told but my hip feels good/natural.

Will join my hiking group tomorrow for the first time in ages. It's an easy hike: very little elevation and only 10 km in length. We'll see how I cope :) It is very nice to be able to get back and exercise and do the things I enjoy - notwithstanding, tying my shoes and putting on my socks!

Thanks for all of the support/encouragement on this forum; it really helped me!
 
Hi wahoou,
Your last update sounded so encouraging! I hope things are still going well for you, or even better than a month ago. Happy Three Month Anniversary! Thanks for sharing your progress with us. :)
@wahoou
 
I've joined you in sciatica world. My doctor put me on a round of steroids to reduce the inflammation. Friday I felt perfectly normal once again. Today I have a little pain but not bad.
I have appt next Monday at Brigham in Boston to get to bottom of it, hip X-Ray revealed all is well.
 
@myglasshalffull: I think an MRI is far more useful re: determining source of sciatica than an X-Ray. I had an X-Ray to make sure that the hip was still in the correct position and after doing some physical tests, the surgeon predicted I had a disk issue and then ordered an MRI of my lower back. After the bulging disk was confirmed, I was referred to a neurologist and had an EMG test to make sure my muscles were not affected. It's been a process but the cortisone injection helped a lot re: pain. I still have tingling/numbness at times but the severity and frequency have diminished. Did you receive a course of oral steroids? Wish you all the best at your appointment next Monday!
 
wahou,
Yes, I was prescribed a taper of prednisone, 1st day 6 pills, 2nd day 5 and so on. Around Day 3 of the steroids I felt really good but now I'm down to my last pill tomorrow and my back is bothering me tonight but we had company all afternoon and I was up and down a lot with cooking and such.
I'm looking forward to my Monday appt in Boston.
 
Hi all,

Just wanted to give a quick update now that I am 9 months post op. I had surgery in early February 2023. As background, I was surprised I needed a hip replacement as my pain radiated in my hip flexor and not my hip. That said, I had trouble putting on my socks and tying my shoe on my right side (which I now realize is a tell tale sign of hip arthritis).

Anyway, I never had a DEXA bone density scan before surgery and unfortunately, had some complications during surgery: my bones were/are extremely dense and my surgeon said implanting the prosthetic was not easy at all for him given my bone density. I suspect he had to wrench my back to avoid cutting through muscle. I developed pretty debilitating sciatica (which I never had before the operation). Not only that, but I also suspect that I sustained far greater soft tissue damage than the average hip replacement patient because of my "dense" bones and pounding my body/hip took for the surgeon to implant the prosthetic...

At 6 weeks after much pain, I had an MRI which revealed a bulging disc and was then referred to a neurologist who organized a cortisone injection which helped a little/took the edge off... I still struggled with pain (and I have a high pain threshold) but decided to just try and live as best I can (hike, play Pickleball, garden and try and go to the gym etc...) and take ibuprofen in the evening as needed (That was when the pain surfaced for me... at nighttime when I was not active!)

At 6 months post op, my sciatic pain disappeared for lack of better terms. I realized that I was no longer in pain at night and didn't need ibuprofen (I should also note: that I hate taking any meds unless necessary...)

If I have one regret, I wish I had returned to weight training earlier. I lost a LOT of muscle strength (maybe because of the soft tissue damage and sciatica? Not sure!) particularly in my glutes, quads and hamstrings. I went back to the gym after my sciatic pain dissipated and have been religious about doing weight training 3x a week for the past 3 months and what a difference this has made for me - both mentally and physically!

I think I read somewhere, that with hip recovery less is more and walking was sufficient re: recovery. I think much depends on the surgical complications and the patient's fitness before surgery... Walking will not cut it regarding regarding rebuilding muscle strength in my experience. That said, I am a very active/sporty person and maybe more muscular/fit than some women my age. Weight training was a huge game changer for me and I wished I had started earlier...

Just my thoughts! When I need my left hip done (I have "moderate arthritis" apparently) I will tell my surgeon to be prepared as that I have very dense bones and plan accordingly...Lesson learned...lol! :console2:
 
Yeah, unless the surgeon tells me otherwise during my 6 week check up, as soon as I hit the 12 week mark, I'll be grabbing the TRX straps and easing myself back into some strength training.

Great to hear you're back to weight training! I hope your second hip is a little easier when that time comes.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom