TKR Unexpected leg pain

The recovery pain can be a Rollercoaster. One day I wake up feeling just fine and the next day I wake up in pain and nauseated. Despite not changing the level of activity.
So I understand your frustration! The best thing to do is just to take it one day at the time, remember about your pain meds and ice your knees. The pain will eventually disappear!
 
Call your doctor and ask about an adjustment to your pain medication. Explain that you are in too much pain to make the effort to come into the office. Ask about adding Tylenol to what you’re already taking.
 
In my humble opinion, you should keep the appointment. Your increase in pain probably is "just" part of the pain Rollercoaster but it would be good to be sure.
 
Can someone please reassure me that I’m doing okay. I’m 26 days PO, my knee is stiff as a board to the point I can’t even get my ROM to a stinking 90. I elevate it most of the day with ice I do get up and walk and do my exercises everyday. The damn thing just won’t bend! What am I doing wrong?
 
I'm afraid your not going to like this answer. Your 26 days into a long recovery. Your knee is healing and most likely swollen. Those two add up to less ROM. Any swelling, internally or externally will affect your ROM.

You said your icing & elevating. Are you elevating properly? That is key, the knee needs to be above your heart. What exercises are you doing? They might be too much. Frankly at this stage of healing all you need to be doing is resting, elevating and ADL. (Activities of Daily living.) Meaning small walks around your house. It could be that your doing more than your even aware. I'd cut back on everything and not do the exercises for several days and see how you do. Your ROM won't happen quickly, and will more than likely continue to get better well into recovery year two.

I certainly don't mean to disappoint you but your where your knee needs to be. Your not at where you want to be. Prior to surgery did you have a good ROM? Take a deep breath and let your baby knee do some more healing then ever so slowly add activities.

Here is some information on elevation.

Proper elevation is one of the best ways to help with pain and swelling following either hip or knee surgery. Many people elevate improperly, which can dramatically lower the effectiveness. In the weeks following your surgery, make sure you elevate your legs as much as possible. Pay close attention to the images below to avoid the wrong way (red "x") and ensure the right way (green check mark) to elevate.

Should you choose to use a foam wedge for elevation, we've provided links to an information/purchase page for the Lounge Doctor on images below. Your purchase through this link gives you a quality product we proudly support and provides a donation to BoneSmart.


When you are relaxing and elevating your legs, it's not enough to just put your foot on a foot stool like these


foot stool 2.jpg



foot stool 1.jpg

and the leg flap on some recliners only comes up to about 30 or 40 degrees before the back rest starts to go down. Many recliners also keep the feet below seat level even with the chair reclined. You're not getting proper elevation in any of these situations.


foot stool recliner.jpg



For a KNEE REPLACEMENT, it's also not a good idea to try and elevate with your leg totally straight like this as it stresses the muscles at the back of your knee tremendously, which can cause pain instead of helping it.


elevating angles.jpg


You may hear that you should try to keep your legs straight when elevating in order to help with your leg extension. But when you have a swollen, painful leg already, this is not helpful and can be quite uncomfortable, if not torture! A slight bend at your knee is much better for both you and your new knee.

elevate cushion.jpg
Click photo for more information
on the Lounge Doctor
Don't EVER use a wedge that keeps your knee bent, either - like this. It really is a
nonofinger.gif

as it puts pressure on the wrong places in your leg.


elevate 4.jpg



The correct way to elevate

At a minimum, your foot should be above the hip and the higher the better in order to get good drainage for the lymph and tissue fluid that is the primary cause of swelling. This also helps with the pain levels.

An often quoted is "toes above nose" gets the point across very well, although this more appropriate in cases of extreme swelling.

Here are some points to remember when elevating:
- If you are a hip patient, observe the 90 degree rule if required by your surgeon.
- If you are a knee patient, never have a bundle of pillows or a cushion firmly behind the knee or belly of the calf as shown in these six photos below. All these positions cause compression in the knee and calf which may result in a blood clot, especially in the early days post-op.

bad elevate 1-horz-vert.jpg


- Other dangers that can arise if a pad or cushion is placed under the knee include:
Compartment syndrome
Lymphoedema
Thrombosis
- Make sure your heels are not in a position to take weight or pressure as this can lead to sore heels and in extreme cases you may even risk getting pressure sores.

Some examples of good elevation:

1. In or on the bed
Hudson shaped wedge.JPG
Click photo for more information on the Lounge Doctor


2. On the couch - though preferably not with your back twisted like this lady's is.

elevate 2.jpg

Click photo for more information on the Lounge Doctor

3. Sitting up on a chair. Be sure to have a high back to support the spine, neck, and head.

elevate 3.jpg


4. Using a pillow stack.

pillow stack.jpg


A pillow stack can often fall apart, so one of our BoneSmarties suggested using three inexpensive pillows and giant safety pins (available on Amazon) to create a pillow wedge. This can be a good alternative if you choose not to purchase a foam wedge.


pinned pillows.jpg
 
Last edited:
@Bluebell53 What you are experiencing is totally normal, what level of activity are you doing, too much and the knee will fill up with fluid and swell up, this in turn makes bending and stretching complicated. Use plenty of Ice, :ice: literally use it for 45 minutes several times a day, icing the front, back and sides, do as eaglemom suggested elevate this helps reduce the swelling and importantly cut back on any extra exercises that you are doing.

I also massage my knee/leg with either bio oil or cream several times during the day, this helps with my circulation I also use a compression stocking during the day.
Having had to cut back on opiods ( Tramadol) I suffered from excruciating pain, so much so, I have now purchased a tummy liner and restarted taking the Tramadol, now I am totally pain free and I'm able to move /sleep better.
Have you sorted out your pain meds?
Seriously all our knees need at this moment is Time to heal xx
 
Last edited:
PT came this morning. My flexion is only measuring at an 80. He said that I missed my window of opportunity and that scar tissue has built up to the point that my doctor may have to do a MUA. I’ve been doing everything I’m suppose to be doing. He also told me that I should be doing normal activities at 4 weeks. I’m getting really discouraged.. other than the tightness and soreness at the incision site, I feel pretty good. I don’t think I wanna be put asleep and have them bend my knee back and go through all this healing again. what do you all think?
 
@Bluebell53 There is no window of opportunity. And PT has no place threatening you with MUA. Read this article: Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
He also told me that I should be doing normal activities at 4 weeks.
Please don't listen to this rubbish. Everyone heals differently.

Many of our members continue to see increase in ROM many months - or even years post op. Here are a couple of examples:

Here is betrtschb's record of how his flexion developed over time:
I'm 12 months out from my surgery and have some advice based on my experience:
1- Stop going to PT (all it will do is make your knee swell and reduce ROM)
2- Don't worry about your ROM
3- Be patient - VERY patient!!!

Here is my ROM history (more or less):
1 month - 60 degrees
2 months - 80 degrees
3 months - 85 degrees
4 months - 90 degrees
5 months - 90 degrees
6 months - 110 degrees
7 months - 120 degrees
8 months - 125 degrees
9 months - 130 degrees
10 months - 135 degrees
11 months - 140 degrees
12 months - 140 degrees

I spent waaaaay too much time worrying about ROM. I thought I'd be riding my bike a couple months after surgery but it took SIX months! Looking back on my surgery, if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have wasted my time with PT and I wouldn't have worried about ROM.

And I have another record, from Campervan - she discovered that her flexion had increased even at 6 years post-op:
"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
125 - 1 yr 8 months
128 – 6 years "
 
Don’t listen to this PT, and don’t see this one again.

As Jaycey said, we all recover differently and on our own timeframe, but the important thing is we all do recover.

This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."
It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 
 
That "window of opportunity" talk is garbage, and I know that first hand @Bluebell53.
Prior to my TKR I was aware of the BoneSmart gentle approach to recovery as opposed to rigorous PT. I was lucky enough to find the site before my TKR. Even though I knew about the BoneSmart approach my OS was all about PT and "whatever ROM you have when your scar turns silver is all the ROM you will ever have." He was the trained surgeon that has done many, many replacements, he must know what he's talking about right? So off I went to my first visit to PT, about 2 weeks out from TKR. The next day when my knee was more swollen and I was in much more pain I opted for a BoneSmart recovery. I never went to another PT session. That was one of the best decisions of my life. Not only did I suffer less pain, but my ROM has continued to improve over two years. I was only at 120 degrees at one year, but over 140 after year two. I've been hiking over rough terrain for good distances, scuba diving, and just living a happy active pain free life with more ROM than I ever thought I would have again after many painful years. I've now had a hip replacement with equal success following a BoneSmart approach. You don't have to suffer needlessly to have an amazing recovery.
 
@Bluebell53 , Hello, don’t panic over your PT, they work for you and it is your knee! If they cannot adjust to helping you heal in a more gentle and supportive manner they can be easily replaced- remember you are in charge. Jaycey , eaglemom, Jockette and FCBayern have some excellent information for you and I do encourage you to read what they have posted. Some PT seem to act as though they are training us for the next Olympics rather than helping us heal from the trauma of surgery- it also isn’t their job to scare you with the thought of having to have a MUA.
You are doing really well, you are recovering at your pace- no one on here heals at the same pace and it is often the case it’s two steps forward and one step back. Do your stretching exercises to the point of discomfort but not pain, do your normal daily activities and when your knee feels hot or swollen rest, ice it, medicate as directed and elevate it, in other words R.I.M.E.. If you find your knee swells up after doing certain exercises then stop doing them for a few days, try again gently and see how you get on. My OS said the most she expected a patient’s ROM at 6 weeks out is to be 90 degrees and that was if the swelling had gone down enough- you will find your ROM will improve over time, there is no time limit for it!
Slow and steady is the way to recover!
 
Your baby knee will come along when it gets good & ready! Love that baby knee and be patient with it. Everything happens in its due time. You will be just fine! Keep your chin up & focus on tiny improvements. You got this!
 
Hello knee warriors! Everything has been going well for me up u til a few days ago. I have horrific pain that shoots down my leg into my foot. This goes on all day and night to the point of keeping me awake at night. I’m going insane! Nothing helps the pain. What is it and what can I do. It’s making it hard to walk. Please help!
 
I’m sorry you have a new pain that is bad enough to keep you awake. We do find as we do more or try something different, a new pain pops up. Did you do anything different before this pain showed up?

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
@Jockette thank you. I couldn’t figure out how to add it to my recovery thread. No I haven’t done anything different.. just my same normal light activities. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and that it’s just part of the recovery. Apparently it’s that nerve that runs down the side of the leg to the foot. I can handle just about anything relating to my recovery except for this. Im gonna try and get in with my GP and see if she’ll give me a prescription for something that will help with this pain as nothing else helps. Thanks for reaching out I appreciate it.
 
If it is nerve pain, sometimes the doctor will prescribe gabapentin. Though it didn’t help me when I took it, some of our members have found it helped them.

Here‘s some information for finding your thread:
 
@Bluebell53 When I merged your threads earlier, I forgot to move it to the recovery forum. Now that you are in recovery, this is where your thread is. :flwrysmile:
 
I know im late to this but I was started on pt the DAY of my surgery plus they had me trying to walk entire length of floor I was staying on. Well that was the plan only surgery didn't turn out as expected and knee was worse than scans showed and once numbing wore off I was in immense pain and could barely make the 10 steps to bathroom in room without puking. Nurse had to call Dr for stronger pain meds. I was supposed to be able to go home but pain had bp so high, sugar plummeted, potassium and sodium dropped so I had to stay. Hopefully everyone is healthy and doing good now
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom