TKR Unexpected leg pain

I had some harsh PT and I'll say I know it didn't make a huge difference in the ROM or strength I have achieved since surgery.
I am able to do exercise routines I used to do, some with even greater strength, balance and stamina, and it's not due to PT. In fact, once my insurance stopped paying for PT, I quit that day! I worked out on my own terms and continue to build strength and ROM daily.
I am not saying movement and exercise are not important. What I am saying is, the pain the PT could inflict on you (by bending your knee past what you can tolerate) is absolutely unnecessary. Your knee will benefit from rest and gentle movement. Time will heal it.

On my PKR IN 2016, on one of my first OP PT visits, the therapist put a belt like thing around my foot and jerked it back to force flexion. I yelled and was so upset. He also forced my leg very hard on another day. He must have known I was unhappy because I never had him after that. No wonder I was in so much pain those first few weeks and couldn’t get flexion.

@Sara61, thank you I so appreciate that. Being seven days post op am I suppose to have pain everyday that is not relieved by pain meds? Since this surgery, I have not had one day where I am without pain.. I feel like I’m going insane. Is this normal?

@Bluebell53 The first week was some of the worst pain for me and for most people. I had to stay on narcotic pain meds until just after 2 mon and I was also doing Tylenol in between. I WAS weaning down on the narcotics during that time also. There are many people that don’t have to be on narcotic pain med for very long at all.
If I could have tolerated NSAIDS, I might not have had to be on the meds that long. Many folks do well alternating Tylenol and Ibuprofen.
Praying for pain control for you!

I have an extremely low tolerance of pain, on my first surgery I took medication up till my 3rd month and most likely will too this time round.
Even thou I'm meticulous in taking my pain meds on the exact hour, ( I take 1Tramadol/dexketoprofen combined pill every 8 hours and 1 paracetamol 1g every 8 hours
Example: my daily routine
Day 8
Paracetamol 05:00am
Skudexa (Tramadol ) at 8am
Paracetamol at 13.00pm
Skudexa at 16:00pm
Paracetamol at 21:00pm
Skudexa at 24:00h

I use ice :ice:( large bag of it ) several times a day this also helps numb the pain just make sure you have a cloth or a pillowcase wrapped round it.

I chart this on my phone.

This occasionally may alter an hour or so ( sleep if I'm lucky ). However the pain medication doesn't stop all the pain, it takes the edge of it, if I move my knee in the wrong position or stand/sit too long it hurts, not only the knee but this time my whole leg hurts, I have bruising upper thigh and lower shin, this is very sore to touch - geting comfortable in bed is exhausting - I shift position every few minutes, if I'm sitting , I have to stand and vice versa so YES! I totally agree with you, the 1st week/15 days are the worst but from my previous experience, I know it DOES get better, one day you'll notice that a certain movement doesn't hurt or you are able to hold a certain position longer

I will only start PT after Christmas and then it will be gentle movements on the knee, it hurts enough already without someone else adding to it, you yourself will know when you are ready.

My left knee (2019) also had the gentle approach and fast forward it turned out great, it works as a knee should do.

Try and occupy your mind, watch a movie, Read a good book or take up a hobby, I do painting by numbers on my good days when I can sit comfortably in bed and mostly I occupy myself here on BoneSmart, join in with the other members, share your experience good or bad, there is always someone new seeking advice /solace and often we have moments of fun too.
Try and be positive and not dwell on the pain - from one who totally gets where you are at as I'm there with you xxx

I started today a new post, in the Social Room, Christmas traditions around the world, I look forward to reading yours xx

Last edited:
However the pain medication doesn't stop all the pain, it takes the edge of it
This is what I've found. At 3 months out, I am still managing pain although the worst of of it is at night and even that is much better. Moving around actually works to relieve the pain at this point in my recovery. At 1 week, I was in tears several days from pain, exhaustion and frustration. That too has passed.

I agree with @Sara61. If you can find something to do that passes time and that you can do comfortably do that. I think I watched every bad movie ever distributed via streaming services during my first 5 weeks before I returned to work.

We're rooting for you.

However the pain medication doesn't stop all the pain, it takes the edge of it
This is what I've found. At 3 months out, I am still managing pain although the worst of of it is at night and even that is much better. Moving around actually works to relieve the pain at this point in my recovery. At 1 week, I was in tears several days from pain, exhaustion and frustration. That too has passed.

I agree with @Sara61. If you can find something to do that passes time and that you can do comfortably do that. I think I watched every bad movie ever distributed via streaming services during my first 5 weeks before I returned to work.

We're rooting for you.

I think it's crucial to remember that the pain and discomfort will pass. I know it's hard to imagine when you're crying from pain and cannot get comfortable. But it's like having a runny nose.... for few days you think you'll never be able to breath through your nose again. And then suddenly one day your nose feels fine! You probably won't even notice when it happens. In my small experience the first month is the worst and things get better from there.

I also agree it helps to find ways to help the time pass faster. Reading, binge watching TV shows (I've started Law and Order SVU, it has like 30 seasons!), playing video games, crocheting, whatever works for you!

Thank you all, I so appreciate the kind words. I know I’ll get thru, it’s just really nice to know you have the support of people that have been through it themselves and that are here for you. Hugs!

@Bluebell53 , hang in there, it will get easier as you heal and the pain will lessen although you will experience pain for months if and when you overdo. Take it easy with PT, tell your therapist what you will and will not tolerate, read what we who and learned the hard way have learned. I think the pain and discomfort is hard to imagine for first timers, so I feel for you. Your tears and depression will pass and one day soon you'll be looking to the heavens and thanking God for getting you through this and looking forward to using your healed knee to it's fullest.

@Rubyroo, thank you, I actually had a pretty good day. Pain was alittle more controlled. How did your surgery go?

@Sks1997, thank you. I’m doing good, I’m 10 days PO and pain seems to be alittle better than last week. I go to the drs next week for my 2 week appt. It’ll be the first time driving after surgery.

@Bluebell53 Seriously You shouldn't be driving after 2 weeks post surgery, :flabber: the normal is at least 10-12 weeks, only drive when you are fully off the pain medication, not before.
On my first replacement I didn't drive until I was 10 weeks post surgery and then it was to the local store and back less than 4kms.
Please organise someone to drive you.

I am unable to take pain meds of any kind, other than Ibuprofin, so I have to do what I can to help the pain level lessen. What helps me is icing. I use an ice machine, as ice packs never worked for me. They only work for a few minutes before they begin to melt and warm, and I was constantly having to change them, try to keep them in place, etc. The ice machine works wonderfully for me the way we set it up. We use frozen water bottles, loading 4 of them in the machine. We add just a small amount of ice to get the water really cold from the start, then we fill water to the fill line. We only need to change the bottles every 6-8 hours as having the water icy cold from the start keeps the bottles frozen longer, and the water icy cold the entire time. We empty and rinse the machine each morning, filling it back up as I described.

I spend most of my time in the early days icing and elevating, (making sure to get up every hour or so for some walking) plus I leave it on all night long. It really helps control my pain; not all of it, but enough that I can mostly deal with it. Between your pain meds and a good icing routine, your pain should be at least bearable, if not at a really low level. Just remember to keep a cloth between your skin and the ice or icing pad, and you can ice as long at a time as needed to help with pain. It also helps with the swelling, and swelling is the cause of some of your pain, so the more the swelling goes down, the more your pain will go down. You can also add an ice pack to the back of your knee if you like-it can be painful and swollen back there, too.

This pain is intense, I know, but the good news is this pain, unlike the pain of a bad knee, will dissipate over time. Getting through the worst of it is hard, but it will get better.

I go to the drs next week for my 2 week appt. It’ll be the first time driving after surgery.
As Sara has already posted, this is not something you should be doing so early out. If you are still on pain medication you should not be driving. If you not on medication you still need your surgeon's release to drive. At a minimum your insurance may not cover you if you were in an accident. You may get guidance on this at your follow up appointment.

I go to the drs next week for my 2 week appt. It’ll be the first time driving after surgery.
As Sara has already posted, this is not something you should be doing so early out. If you are still on pain medication you should not be driving. If you not on medication you still need your surgeon's release to drive. At a minimum your insurance may not cover you if you were in an accident. You may get guidance on this at your follow up appointment.
Insurance wise, four weeks was the minimum time off the road for me and I drove the day after that. I drive a manual car and had a left TKR. I was off pain meds and as long as I could perform an emergency stop, I was allowed to drive.

So saying, it was only around a mile, to my physio and the gym, around noon and no main roads. My problem was getting in and out of the car due to a behind knee problem. Ironically, the new knee joint was no problem and as long as I had the seat way back to get in and out of the car, I was fine.

Four and a half weeks on and I'm back to driving locally with no problem...well apart from still getting in and out of the car! :)

I don’t think I’m gonna be up to going to my two week PO appt. I woke up in some really bad pain this morning. Took my pain meds 2 hours ago and I’m still hurting. I got up went to the bathroom and got myself a glass of orange juice and could hardly walk. My surgeon used dissolvable stitches to sew me up so I still have my bandage on. I don’t know what I did but it’s really angry today. I get up every hour and walk for 5-10 mins. I’ve been doing alittle exercising but nothing that causes me pain. I keep my leg elevated all day with ice on and off, so what am I doing wrong to cause this pain?

Your still very early in recovery @Bluebell53, and one of the trickiest parts of this recovery is that activity and exercise never seem to hurt when we are doing the activities but the pain and swelling show up that night or the next day. Try just sticking to walking a little every hour and drop any exercises for a day or two and see if things improve. Are you icing? I lived wearing my ice machine 24/7 for the first couple of months. Icing for 45-60 minutes at a time makes for great pain relief.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dxross
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom