Guest viewing is limited

THR Unable to walk, lift leg, or abduct leg since THR

Hi Lunar Eclipse,
In all of the communication over your situation, we've neglected to get a surgery date from you and understand which leg we're discussing. If you'll please provide that information, we will create a signature for you.
Thanks in advance!
@LunarEclipse
 
@LunarEclipse I am soooo sorry you are going through this. Definitely not what you signed up for. In reading this, my thoughts through it all were: this just doesn't sound right. Why aren't things working the way they're supposed to be? From surgery day on? How did PT release you when your foot wasn't working? When I had my left abductors repaired (not related to joint replacement,) PT had me stay overnight because I couldn't navigate as well as I should have been. I'm baffled that it has taken you this long to get someone to help you. But I'm glad you will finally get that MRI. As everyone has said, you definitely need a second opinion that is objective.

You just keep advocating for yourself. I had to do the same for my psoas impingement and then the abductors. It wasn't that my doctors were dismissive but they needed me to "jump through the insurance hoops" to get to the next modality. I HAD to keep informing them when each recommendation didn't work. You know your body and your circumstances best. You make sure the healthcare people know, too. Hopefully, you can get out from behind this slow moving vehicle. Blessings as you navigate this. Keep us apprised.
 
I agree with Benne here. These insurance companies hate approving MRI’s. When I changed doctors he ordered an MRI and Blue Cross immediately denied it. The doctor’s assistant called and told me and said not to worry cause the doctor’s WILL get it approved and he did.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.
And now many doctors are offering concierge programs. You pay a “fee” to belong to their practice in addition to your health insurance paying for services. This “club” gives you a leg up on seeing your doctor right away as well as other benefits. And I can’t blame the doctors either. I see the statements from Blue Cross when I get a physical. Let’s say the doctor’s billed my insurance $200. Blue Cross gives them $50! And how many years did they go to school to become doctors and spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to be a doctor.
I say it all the time, the healthcare system is broken. Pretty soon if you are not wealthy you will wait forever to see a specialist. My Dad always told me the tallest buildings in the biggest cities belong to insurance companies! That’s no accident. They are greedy!
Ok, off my soapbox for this morning.
 
Ok, off my soapbox for this morning.
I was kind of liking your soapbox perspective. :old: :thumb:
It's fun to shake things up here once in awhile. You know I'm a fan, Sandy. :wink:


Hi LunarEclipse,
Hopefully you're having a couple of tolerable days. :fingersx: I hope, I hope.
 
@LunarEclipse … I don’t have any suggestions about surgeons for a second opinion because at your early stage, it’s unlikely that another surgeon would agree to see you. But I’m thrilled that you got some wonderful information from the intake person you talked to and that you may now finally have your surgeon’s attention. I hope you receive the results of the MRI soon so you can begin to get to the bottom of what’s going on. When is the MRI scheduled?

As you proceed, don’t hesitate to be extremely firm with this surgeon. At this point, he should feel the urgency and realize that he has not done a good job for you. But….ego gets in the way a lot of the time with doctors, so you may not see any humble apology (which you deserve). Was your surgeon aware of your three ER trips and exactly what was happening with that lump that appeared. I find it hard to believe he just ignored that if he knew….
 
Thanks, Everyone!

This was a rough week. I fell apart, sobbing, after a long day of meetings, presentations, and then having to zip over, with other people walking fast (and me going TOP speed on crutches), to an auditorium in another building a good distance from mine for another 90 minute meeting. Through the whole meeting my leg just sat there, couldn’t even shift it enough to reduce the pressure of the chair on the back of my leg, or the floor under my heel. Had to keep reaching down and moving it with my hands. When I got back to my desk I just started sobbing in front of my boss…it was so embarrassing. First time that has EVER happened, in 30 years as a professional. My boss gave me a big hug. I finally got home and realized my right leg was shaking, it was so tired.

No practice outside OHSU will see me for at least 6 months after the operation - most say a year. I heard this, or about insurance issues, from OSM, ROC and another group this week. They all say I should be working within OHSU. Fine with me -but my surgeon has been saying for 6 weeks that he will ONLY refer me OUTSIDE OHSU for a second opinion. It’s a total Catch-22.

Finally, Friday, my OHSU surgeon (apparently - according to my PCP; I have not been officially notified) agreed to refer me to another OHSU hip specialist. I MIGHT be able to request an appointment next week. I hope!!!

After the way my surgeon forced my leg into excruciating positions during our last appointment, while he measured ROM and demonstrated how I could increase the “stretch” (=groin compression and PINCH! OW!) bit by bit as he pushed my knee toward my chest, or trying to push my ankle across my knee…Well.

I DON’T WANT HIM EVER TOUCHING ME AGAIN. I will not let him, period.

I mean…he continued the “stretching” and “range of motion” work despite my protests that what he was doing was really pinching my groin. It brought me to tears. Later that day, I had shooting femoral nerve pain, originating (as always) in my groin and extending down the front of my thigh. The outside of my leg went numb for the first time the next day. He really hurt me!

I’ve told him so many times that it’s not just a matter of being tough and “pushing through the pain”. There are REAL repercussions if I try to walk, sit too long at 90 degrees, etc. or otherwise irritate the groin area. Much worse pain overnight and the next couple of days. Stiffer joint with LESS ROM for days. Shooting live-wire pain from groin to thigh (or foot). It’s just crazy, how he ignores what I say, and demonstrate (like, that I simply cannot lift my leg). He sees and hears what he wants to and ignores the rest. It’s surreal.

I do have an MRI scheduled for late Friday night, and an EMG in a few weeks, May 9. I expect the MRI will show SOMETHING - if nothing else, it’ll make it obvious which muscles have atrophied since the surgery.
 
Last edited:
Oh - yeah, he knew about the sudden “lemon” size lump. I called his office to ask them what to do when it appeared. I also made sure the ER sent the CT scan (from the second trip 1-2 days later, when my whole thigh swelled) to my surgeon, and insisted on reviewing the CT together. He insisted the “hardware looks fine, and there is no sign of fracture” (yeah! I know! The 5 x-rays you’ve done all show the same thing!!!) but my muscles were too swollen to tell anything about the soft tissue structures.

The third ER trip was with the same hospital group he works in, but their downtown location (because I was trying to have a DIFFERENT surgeon assess my leg. PLEASE.) They initially said my case would be transferred, but the next day they referred me back to the same guy.

So, yeah, he knew all about the ER trips. He doesn’t care. It’s a “slow recovery”. “Go hard in PT”. “Push through the pain”. Ugh. I can’t move my leg!!

I’ll meet with my original surgeon again, if I must. With someone there to take notes, to keep him honest, as I can’t trust him to accurately transcribe my words, or the events that occurred, in his visit summaries.

But - that man will never, ever touch me again. He REALLY hurt me last time. I will NOT allow him to conduct any sort of physical exam on me, no matter what.
 
Last edited:
Hi Lunar Eclipse,
In all of the communication over your situation, we've neglected to get a surgery date from you and understand which leg we're discussing. If you'll please provide that information, we will create a signature for you.
Thanks in advance!
@LunarEclipse
Hi Layla,

My surgery was on February 9. It’s my left leg.

I’m female, 53, athletic (until now), currently 107 pounds (was 116-120 prior to the operation).

No need to include all of that obviously! But, I do wonder if my post-op complications could be associated with my having a smaller frame. Did he use too much pressure when retracting the tissues? Not account for their being minimal fat cushioning and separating different structures? I have NO idea. Food for thought, anyway.

Thank you again, everyone!! ♥️
 
Please do not try and assign any blame on yourself or your body as to what has happened. Surgeons work with people of all sizes and shapes all the time. A good surgeon can handle just about anything. Your situation sounds like errors were made and the doctor is not willing to admit them. You might not be able to see other doctors for a while, but you can put pressure on this surgeon if needed to get what you want. Also remember that your GP can also order an MRI for you. That needs to be done in order to see what’s going on with the soft tissue.

I’m so sorry you’re having to go through this, but you are smart and strong and I am sure you’ll be a good advocate for yourself. Bringing someone along with you is also a good idea.
 
I actually brought my MOM to one of the appointments with my surgeon - she flew across the country to help out for a week, and joined an appointment :).

Recently, OHSU assigned a nurse case manager to my case. She has been a FANTASTIC help when it comes to navigating the system, and cutting through red tape. I think she was assigned after I went to the OHSU ER begging for help, a few weeks ago (I’m not entirely sure). However we were connected…I am SO thankful for her help!!

She offered to come to my last appointment with my surgeon (and did). Her role wasn’t to push back or question him, she was just there to take notes, and for emotional support. I really appreciated having her there, and if I have to see this surgeon again, I will ABSOLUTELY as her to join. If she cannot, I’ll bring a friend. I won’t go it alone (with this specific doctor) again.
 
You are wise to bring a friend or relative with you on these visits. Please keep us posted with what’s going on and hoping your MRI will help diagnose whatever the issue is you are experiencing. It’s horrible to be in so much pain.
And you pushing through going to work is certainly not helping your recovery.
I do understand you need to work but the day you described at work here sounded like pure torture.
Hope you can rest today & ice.
 
How wonderful that you have an additional advocate in your court. I agree you should take advantage of that help. She can assist you with questions to ask as well as taking notes. Her presence will help keep the doctor focused on your care. Be prepared that he might be irritated. If that happens, just ignore it. YOU are the important one and his ego takes a back seat. Even if he did make mistakes (after all, doctors are human too), the goal is not to attach blame, but to figure out the best course of action going forward to help you.
 
The long day of meetings and presentations had to be exhausting. Physically and mentally. Being confined in an auditorium seat, unable to stretch or move your leg had to be awful. The only way I can relate is that early on into recovery, I felt trapped and miserable in the seat of my vehicle for any amount of time past 20-30 minutes, which went on for months. I can't even imagine enduring the confinement during meetings / presentations when already dealing with unrelenting pain. It may have helped if you had the option to go to the back of the venue, behind everyone, so you could stand, stretch, or walk for a couple of minutes, then sit in an isle seat so you could at least stretch your leg. Hopefully you don't have to go through that again anytime soon.

Wishing you the best for the MRI on Friday. I certainly hope it sheds some light on things.
@LunarEclipse
 
I had a severe incident with my hip today.

I had a very long day with many meetings in hard plastic chairs, in multiple buildings. I covered a few miles on crutches today, much of it while carrying a heavy backpack. I was ABSOLUTELY EXHAUSTED by the end. Broke down crying during one of the meetings (a large presentation, with about 150 people, where I was in the audience, in the front row) because they were talking about a major women’s running event - the sort of event I used to run in, before my hip injury.

My last commitment of the day was a physical therapy appointment, a short drive from my office. I was getting out of my car, and reached down toward my left foot (I can’t actually reach my foot, not even close). Suddenly there was a thunk sound & movement in my groin, and I screamed in pain, and my body automatically wrenched back. Both sides of my lower back immediately hurt badly.

I sobbed in pain for a few minutes, took another minute to gather myself, and went to PT.

I told my PT - who is very good; I know him well, and trust him - that I wanted him to VERY gently assess my hip and leg function.

Well. We quickly realized that, from a sitting position, I was unable to straighten my knee. Starting with my foot on the floor, I could not move my foot at all, even if we held my thigh in place. My PT said WAIT! I have an idea. And, he took my shoe off. Then I could move my leg about 6 inches. My shoe (a pound, at most) was actually enough weight to prevent me from using my lower leg.

I could not generate ANY upward or outward movement. Not even a twitch of movement. You could see slight contraction of some thigh muscles, but zero movement.

Until now, I have had good adduction strength. This afternoon all I could do was make my thigh twitch inwardly, an inch at most.

After another 15 minutes, I began to regain some function - I was able to fully straighten my lower leg (without a shoe), and generate a bit more adduction strength.

Now, four hours later, I am able to reliably straighten my lower leg again (without any resistance) and generate inward (adduction) force with my thigh.

(I still cannot lift my knee or abduct my leg AT ALL, even underwater.)

Even on pain meds tonight, my left lower back, just to the side of my spine, is painful and my groin still hurts (pinches) constantly. If I tilt my pelvis forward, or lie down, my lower back feels better. (Sitting is awful.)

I asked my PT if my experience was in ANY way routine - like, do patients get seriously injured during an operation to the point they can’t walk or use their limb, then spend 10+ weeks begging to be taken seriously, pleading for imaging, a diagnosis, a treatment plan so they don’t become permanently disabled? My PT said no…he has never seen a patient be treated so badly by this hospital system.

I DO have several doctors in my corner, now, thank goodness: yesterday I reached out to a neurologist I met once, a few years ago, for a totally different issue. He actually reviewed my case and messaged me on MyChart this morning, offering to see me! I still haven’t had MRI or EMG tests yet, so he’ll have limited information, but at least he can physically assess me, and there will be another set of expert eyes on this, helping to figure out a diagnosis. He offered to see me TOMORROW!! I’m astonished. And so happy. I hope he gains some insight from a physical exam, or can pressure the system to move up my EMG.

The MD physiatrist (who ordered the EMG a few weeks ago) is calling other practices, to see if someone can conduct a timely EMG study. My OHSU test is still 3 weeks away, and my symptoms have gotten worse in recent days: intermittent numbness over larger areas of my leg, pins & needles in my foot, and worsening motor dysfunction.

I’m really, really hanging my my fingernails, emotionally. My son’s birthday party is this weekend; somehow I need to clean the house before then (on one leg, with a sprained lower back, now, while working AND I have an MRI late Friday night…) It’s just too much.
 
Last edited:
Oh my goodness, my heart is aching for you.
Can you possibly get a note from the doctor you are seeing today to get yourself out of work for a week or two?
I think your work load and traveling from one building to another and carrying a back pack isn’t helping your current situation.
Sure hope the doctor you are seeing today has some advice/answers for you.
For right now just do one day at a time. Birthday party & cleaning the house can wait. I’m sure your son would understand. I’m assuming he’s not a young child?
You need to put yourself first for right now.
 
I had a severe incident with my hip today.

I had a very long day with many meetings in hard plastic chairs, in multiple buildings. I covered a few miles on crutches today, much of it while carrying a heavy backpack. I was ABSOLUTELY EXHAUSTED by the end. Broke down crying during one of the meetings (a large presentation, with about 150 people, where I was in the audience, in the front row) because they were talking about a major women’s running event - the sort of event I used to run in, before my hip injury.

My last commitment of the day was a physical therapy appointment, a short drive from my office. I was getting out of my car, and reached down toward my left foot (I can’t actually reach my foot, not even close). Suddenly there was a thunk sound & movement in my groin, and I screamed in pain, and my body automatically wrenched back. Both sides of my lower back immediately hurt badly.

I sobbed in pain for a few minutes, took another minute to gather myself, and went to PT.

I told my PT - who is very good; I know him well, and trust him - that I wanted him to VERY gently assess my hip and leg function.

Well. We quickly realized that, from a sitting position, I was unable to straighten my knee. Starting with my foot on the floor, I could not move my foot at all, even if we held my thigh in place. My PT said WAIT! I have an idea. And, he took my shoe off. Then I could move my leg about 6 inches. My shoe (a pound, at most) was actually enough weight to prevent me from using my lower leg.

I could not generate ANY upward or outward movement. Not even a twitch of movement. You could see slight contraction of some thigh muscles, but zero movement.

Until now, I have had good adduction strength. This afternoon all I could do was make my thigh twitch inwardly, an inch at most.

After another 15 minutes, I began to regain some function - I was able to fully straighten my lower leg (without a shoe), and generate a bit more adduction strength.

Now, four hours later, I am able to reliably straighten my lower leg again (without any resistance) and generate inward (adduction) force with my thigh.

(I still cannot lift my knee or abduct my leg AT ALL, even underwater.)

Even on pain meds tonight, my left lower back, just to the side of my spine, is painful and my groin still hurts (pinches) constantly. If I tilt my pelvis forward, or lie down, my lower back feels better. (Sitting is awful.)

I asked my PT if my experience was in ANY way routine - like, do patients get seriously injured during an operation to the point they can’t walk or use their limb, then spend 10+ weeks begging to be taken seriously, pleading for imaging, a diagnosis, a treatment plan so they don’t become permanently disabled? My PT said no…he has never seen a patient be treated so badly by this hospital system.

I DO have several doctors in my corner, now, thank goodness: yesterday I reached out to a neurologist I met once, a few years ago, for a totally different issue. He actually reviewed my case and messaged me on MyChart this morning, offering to see me! I still haven’t had MRI or EMG tests yet, so he’ll have limited information, but at least he can physically assess me, and there will be another set of expert eyes on this, helping to figure out a diagnosis. He offered to see me TOMORROW!! I’m astonished. And so happy. I hope he gains some insight from a physical exam, or can pressure the system to move up my EMG.

The MD physiatrist (who ordered the EMG a few weeks ago) is calling other practices, to see if someone can conduct a timely EMG study. My OHSU test is still 3 weeks away, and my symptoms have gotten worse in recent days: intermittent numbness over larger areas of my leg, pins & needles in my foot, and worsening motor dysfunction.

I’m really, really hanging my my fingernails, emotionally. My son’s birthday party is this weekend; somehow I need to clean the house before then (on one leg, with a sprained lower back, now, while working AND I have an MRI late Friday night…) It’s just too much.

Is it possible for you to get a doctors note to take disability. This all seems too much your body seems to be rejecting all your activity. Hang in there. You are not alone.
 
Please listen to these signals that your body is sending you. You are pushing yourself too hard in these early months of recovery with your work schedule. There must be some way you can stop this level of activity. I am worried about you if you have to continue this much stress on your body. See if you can get a letter from your surgeon or GP to stop working for a couple of weeks to allow things to settle.

Your muscles may be in spasm from all this sitting and walking with a backpack. See if your therapist can check that out and possibly start some pressure point therapy to help release any tightness.
 
@LunarEclipse Please, please, please reconsider that birthday party. Change venues or call in some favors from family or friends to come in and straighten things up a bit for you if you can't see to changing it. I'm sure your son would understand if you explained it to him and had to scale it back. A promise of a full celebration later would probably do the trick. We drive ourselves so hard even when our bodies and spirits are screaming otherwise (why do you think you're suddenly so emotional?) Listen to your body and give yourself permission to be first for a change. It's okay to say "no" to things and "No." is a complete sentence. This situation is for now not forever. People need to understand and usually will if you let them know that you have hit your limit. Take it from those of us who know this scenario inside and out. Hang in there. We're here for you. :console2:
 
It’s just too much.
Yes, it is too much -- and you need to say "no."

I'm going to give you some tough talk here -- advice you probably don't want to hear:

Your symptoms are getting worse because you are forcing your leg to do things it is simply not yet ready to do. You are still in the early days of this year-long recovery and if you continue to push yourself like this, you are going to continue delay your recovery -- or set yourself back even further.
 
Hi LunarEclipse,
I am sorry work has to be so difficult as you struggle with an undiagnosed issue and the uncertainty that goes along with it. It is understandable that you have to work, many do even though they're not physically ready, but it feels like you're expected to perform in a way that is unbearable, causing a lot of pain, tears and frustration. It's great that you're committed to your work, but given your recovery challenges will they allow for some adjustments or flexibility for you at work? The meetings in multiple venues and the miles that you're clocking on crutches, while lugging a heavy back pack only to land a hard plastic chair for a length time sounds miserable and unfair. I hope today was more bearable for you.
@LunarEclipse
 
Back
Top Bottom