UK-based custom-made TKR date set - May the Fourth be with me

Not long for you now before you have that brand new shiny knee. Hopefully it gives you the type of recovery you are hoping for. That knee has been through so much already. Good Luck!:cheers:
 
Workshop preparation coming along nicely, business projects squared away for Mrs.P to pick up when she wants without needing my lifting arms, hypnotherapist session booked to help with the boredom eating habit whilst laid-up, and a new bass guitar bought to keep me occupied in between exercises.

I read somebody talking about some indulgences pre-surgery to make up for missing out on socialising afterwards so I think I'll book our fave local steak restaurant for next week - that'll also do as a blow-out before trying to moderate my bad eating (but I won't be dieting - that'd be ridiculous).
 
Sounds like your prep is going great guns. And you're right to not think of dieting while healing. Eat nutritiously, so your body has all the good raw materials it needs to repair itself, but don't limit calories too severely for the first several weeks. You are going to be burning more than the usual amount of those anyway, for healing. That won't continue for the whole recovery, of course, so don't get into habits you can't control later. :wink:
 
I've basically written-off the first two weeks as a "do nothing" phase during which I will focus only on the swelling, pain control,
Just as you should
and increasing RoM.
This will come, but not by focusing on it and exercising like crazy. Ice, elevate and rest--that's most important in the first weeks, though you'll be able to move around a bit.
 
My last few days pre-op and I'm starting to worry that I haven't got my preparation all in order. I'm also trying to get some extra non-op related jobs done to help my wife with her business once I'm out of action. Maybe that's because I'm more in control of the prep than I think I am, but I think I'll be writing and referring to a list today to double check a few things.

One thing that was a little amusing is that after seeing the pre-op assessment staff last week and discovering that I should provide my own walking sticks (otherwise they would charge me over he odds, apparently), My wife was in a charity shop and found a stick holder that had plenty of metal hospital issue ones and a load of nice wooden ones. She got me a pair of medical ones for £5! (about $7, I guess). They've already been broken-in for me. haha.
 
@Oomworthy Nice that your wife found some walking sticks for you. Just make sure the rubber cane tips are not worn down unevenly. Not long now!
 
Thanks @Jaycey I've plenty of experience with these things so I'll now if they're a mismatched pair. My wife isn't at all familiar and possibly checked the handles looked the same. I haven't actually seen them yet but I still have time to Amazon Prime a replacement set of rubber.

Today I had my second bloods taken and found out my admission time. I'm not convinced the staff made any effort to read my file before giving me my slot: we live 1 hour drive away and I'm expected in for 7am with a 8am operating time. That's going to be a long day for my wife - at least I get to sleep for part of the morning.

Up at 5am, on the road before 6am, asleep again by 8am. At least we miss most of the rush hour traffic.
 
An early morning slot is ideal. You don't have to starve yourself all day and you are first up with a rested team. Done in time for a nice lunch and another nap.
 
An early morning slot is ideal. You don't have to starve yourself all day and you are first up with a rested team. Done in time for a nice lunch and another nap.

We can laugh about that, but it's true.

After the big crash I had external fixings and when it was time to remove them (6 weeks of hospital bed rest later) I got bumped THREE times from the surgery list. Each time I had fasted from midnight and waited all day for my turn. Each day they came to me at around 6pm, apologised but assured me I would be in tomorrow. On the third day I gave the doctor a look that he correctly interpreted as "don't even think about telling me I'm not going to theatre". He scooted out of the ward like a naughty kid, and returned half an hour later with the good news/bad news routine. The good news was that I was 90% certain to be taken down that evening, but the bad news was I'd have to continue fasting.

I went down at 11pm and the anaesthetist smiled and said; "Ah, Mr. Preston, I've been expecting you all week."

A Friday afternoon knee would play on my mind a bit - especially if I had complications.
 
The first two weeks are really a time of sleeping and elevating the leg. I was in bed about 80% of the time---the pain pills made me tired!! I would take a short walk around the house, drink a protein drink and drift back to sleep!! At three weeks, the swelling was really down and I cut back on the pain pills. I was able to sit up and have a few conversations---but, I am an artist and so have a studio at home. It was nearly six weeks before I could go in and work an hour or so. I just did not have an concentration---which is a normal problem for me anyway!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My only real worry for recovery planning/expectations is that I'm not factoring-in the tiredness and concentration issues. They haven't been a problem for me in the past, but my ops have all been fairly simple ones - just breaks etc. As a couple we are not expecting much help around the house and business for the first 4 weeks, so hopefully we can only be pleasantly surprised with anything better.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh , thanks for reminding me. I found my old crutches (sticks) so that's out of the way. 8 years since I used them but still in good shape. One less thing for the hospital to gouge me on .
 
us Brits say the number then the month
Mr Charity there. The USA is unique in putting the month first.

We have a shop and also go to antique & collectors fairs around Scotland but we've had to cancel two of our main ones because they are within a week of my op - with the most optimistic outlook and fastest possible recovery in the world they aren't manageable.
Too right. Try and plan for 12 weeks before you do much at all. You might be able to beat that, but if you plan for 3 months then beating it is a pleasant surprise.
 
In about 12 hours time I should be on the home straight - or rather, the surgeon should be. I doubt I'll check-in here again beforehand so I'll see you on the other side.
 
Best wishes.
We'll see you on the recovery side.
 
Back
Top Bottom