Guest viewing is limited

TKR Tykey's second knee replacement

I spend a lot of time on various forums and I agree that Bonesmart is one of the best. Let's have a round of applause for the moderators who work tirelessly to enforce the guidelines which prevent so many possible issues!

I am astounded how little pain you are dealing with. That is not my experience with either knee, but you should take it and run! I'll envy you from across the pond.
 
I'm grateful for it. One thing I've learned is that common or garden Paracetamol or (acetaminophen)is extremely effective for me, opioids far less. Don't know why.
It was the same with my first knee.
If I'm only an hour late with my dose, the pain certainly comes back☹️☹️☹️.
 
Yup. First two weeks are the worst. Week three is almost as bad, but hopefully you will be a bit more mobile . Week four starts to point the way towards significant healing.

For me it was week 6 before I actually started to 'get my life back'. Just a bit.
 
Day 9:
Pushed it a bit too much today. Was it yet time to do a few exercises such as leg slides? The answer is no, because I soon had a bit more pain, which Paracetamol couldn't fix. So I've had a little codeine to help, which has

It's taken a while to appear and I was beginning to wonder why, but a wonderful black and yellow bruise has appeared down the inside of my leg.
I've also tried to do a bit of cooking whilst standing on one leg, like a flamingo. It didn't help, sadly.
Good news though, the cricket is on the TV, and we are beating Australia (for once)
 
I've learned absolutely clearly that the BS approach to exercises is 100% the right approach. I only did a couple of bends, maybe 2 deg more than reasonably comfortable, and slides, and have to go back to the opioids
I'm horrified to think of our friends who are stupidly told that unless they achieve maximum bend in a week their knees set like concrete. Or even worse having a PT insisting on doing it for them, and if they don't, threaten next is an MUA.
Thankful that you are here for them
 
This sounds amazing, what a good recovery. Keep up the good work.

Good luck, best wishes Maria
 
Not much better than Gunsmoke and a Jam roly-poly!!
We still watch Gunsmoke every Saturday morning so today we got our watch in!
Enjoy the cricket!
 
Jam Roly Poly sounds lovely. Please remember it is definitely contra indicated with beer. :heehee:

I too have finally blossomed with truly prodigious bruise all down the outside of my calf. Its interesting because in July I didnt really have any bruising to speak of.
 
New medicine to try today, Jam Roly Poly.
Apparently it's not very effective, so I'll need a large dose!
Jam Roly Poly was a new one on me, but it looks really yummy, Tykey.
[Bonesmart.org] Tykey's second knee replacement

You know, if you are really walking stiff-legged like Chester in the old Gunsmoke shows, you probably still need to use a walking aid of some type so you have a more normal stride, even just moving about the house. It really puts a strain on your body to limp.

I honestly think you're doing very well with recovery. It's easy to get impatient. Keep taking things easy until you're ready to increase your activity a bit.
 
The best Roly polys are made with suet, and custard is also not contra indicated, thankfully. There is a restaurant over here which serves special puddings. The standard meal is a light main course, followed by all of SEVEN of these traditional puddings. It's called The Pudding Club.

And re the crutches, only this morning I've gone back to at least one crutch, I was swinging my leg to avoid bending it.. Great minds think alikeThe ROM is certainly still there, but my stitches are making it very uncomfortable to bend, hence it easier to swing it. They come out on Friday, and I'll review it again after that.
 
Last edited:
your doing well I am waiting for my appointment for my second knee,Finally had enough my surgeon wanted to do this knee first because of x ray photos but never bothered me to much other knee a lot of pain and giving way but time caught up time for this knee to be fixed.will go for spinal block had for other ops so will try for knee.
 
Thanks for reminding me that you still have stitches in, Tykey. That definitely can restrict movement as your healing progresses. I know it will be a relief to have them done and gone. You're doing GREAT!
 
Hi Ricbak1, and welcome to my thread.
It's extra good to have a neighbour from South Yorkshire (God's Country). I'm in Dinnington.
If you haven't got it sorted, can I recommend you look at our local knee and hip specialists, Barlborough hospital.
Superb place in every respect.
 
Jamie, in the short time I've gone back to one crutch, it already feels much better (but a bit slower).

Plus Ive had double helpings of Roly Poly.
If I'm not careful, I'll resemble one.
 
Last edited:
If I lived anywhere near a place called The Pudding Club I would need a roly poly wheelbarrow to get around even with new knees.

Sounds much too dangerous.
 
Tykey, you crack me up! But I am thrilled to hear that using the crutch has helped you. You'll be able to toss it soon enough. Patience, my friend. It can go when you no longer have Chester leg.
 
New medicine to try today, Jam Roly Poly.
Jam Roly Poly reminds me of school dinners! They were almost always meat, potatoes, greens and gravy, followed by some sort of baked dessert, accompanied by custard.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom