Guest viewing is limited

THR Two weeks post-op

Hi - I had my left hip done last summer. It was done on a Thursday, I went home on Friday. The surgeon told me I could drive as soon as I stopped taking the good drugs and felt up to it. Friday evening was the last time I took the good drugs, and I think I drove the following Wednesday. On that Wednesday, I also returned to work - though admittedly working from home. The surgeon told me that he wanted me to use the walker until I saw him again (a 2-week checkup). At that appointment he told me I could put the walker away so I returned to the office on Monday. After my next appointment (6-weeks after surgery), he cleared me to go play golf.

I'm having my right hip done next week (March 28). When I went to see him to schedule it, he asked me if I wanted to do it outpatient! I said no... :). Here's to hoping this one goes as well - same surgeon...

Wow! I’m hoping for a recovery story like yours! I’m having same day hip replacement surgery April 3...
 
Hope your right goes as well as your left did, AZjimbo08!! I will say, my experience with my right has definitely been different than my left. In some ways, it was harder, yet in other ways I feel like I'm stronger and doing better walking and getting in and out of chairs. I was relegated to the walker for four weeks by my surgeon because of a necessary bone graft, so that definitely limited me in many ways. But, I'm done with the walker next Tuesday and feeling very ready for the cane and hope it won't last long.

Can't imagine doing the procedure out patient!! I only stayed one night in the hospital this time and that felt a little fast to me, but it went okay. Best of luck with yours next week!
 
You sound like you are doing very well @Photogirl :tada:
Taking the time you need to heal is great investment in long term fun with good hips.
Hope you're weekend is sweet!
 
Thank you so much Mojo333. I am doing well and anxious to get out walking with my cane. Everything is downhill from here. Excited to be hiking this summer again. All the best to you!
 
Everything is downhill from here. Excited to be hiking this summer again.
Best way to start hiking with new hips...where everything is downhill:heehee:
Happy one month hipversary in advance!:egypdance:
 
:hi: @Photogirl
Let us know how the cane is working out for you later in the week.
Always exciting to lose that walker. It's just not a good look! :heehee:
I hope you have a lovely Sunday :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well. Please share your progress next time you stop by.
Hopefully you're on track for the Summer hiking you mentioned :walking:
Wishing you the best as you move forward!
@Photogirl
 
Thanks for checking on me. I am doing fairly well but not where I had hoped I would be. Walking without a cane but my biggest frustration right now is “the first step”. When I stand after sitting that first step always seems like a dilly. I don’t remember that with my first THP five years ago. Doc says it’s muscle but it doesn’t feel muscle-like, feels more like the arthritic bone pain pre-surgery. Once I take one or two steps I’m good to go. Anyone else experience this?
 
I didn't experience what you've described, but have heard many discuss it and refer to it as stutter steps.
I believe it eases with time. I'm sure some who've experienced it will stop by and comment.
 
Hi @Photogirl My surgery was Feb 28th and I had some problems with walking initially. When you say your first step is a real "dilly" are you referring to pain? Or are you having trouble with the first step after standing up? I used my walker for what seemed like weeks on end, took me forever to graduate to the cane, and have only been without it for about a week. Curious to hear if it's pain or just that unfathomable first step!
 
Hello SE Florida. Glad you are coming along with your healing.

Yes, first step is pain unfortunately. It’s really the only time I have pain now. We’ve had a whirlwind eight weeks. We sold our house and moved out all during my recovery. I spent the first four weeks on a walker per doctor’s orders because of a bone graft. I went to a cane and then dumped it entirely after my six week post-op with surgeon who said it was my call. We were so involved with trying to pack up and the cane was too restrictive, I kept leaving it places.

It’s possible in our moving that I was just doing too much. We’ll be traveling now with our travel trailer for a year and I’m hoping now for some good healing. I walked quite a bit yesterday and was pooped by the evening.
 
Hi Photogirl! Congratulations on your new hip! I had posterior approach 3 weeks ago and they DO NOT cut muscles.... recovery is very individual no matter which approach your surgeon does. I’ve been extremely fortunate ( little pain-no opioids)and have had an easy recovery BUT I didn’t attempt driving until 2 weeks and even then just close by. You sound like you have a great attitude and will do just fine! Here’s to a wonderful weekend:)
 
@Photogirl It definitely sounds like your pain is from joining the ODIC (over-did-it-club). At lot of us have been there. Even at 8 weeks, we should still watch our activity level and if you were walking a lot yesterday then you need to rest today. You should still elevate and ice after a day of walking. I assume your other half is doing the driving but even as a passenger you'll need to take precautions. Stop every hour or so, get out and stretch, do a little walking. Keep some gel ice packs handy for the rides. If being in the passenger seat is uncomfortable, try a cushion to help comfort the tush and take pressure off of the hip. It sounds like you're doing great overall but just remember that recovery is a marathon, not a sprint, you still have many weeks of recovery ahead. Take care and be safe on your travels! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks so much for your words, SE Florida. Really reassuring, and I think you’re right, I did join the ODIC. My husband kept telling me to sit down and rest but I couldn’t bring myself to sit and watch him work like a madman. It’s done now, so glad. And you’re right, I did have some swelling yesterday. Great idea on the ice gel packs while driving, so appreciate your suggestions!! You made me feel a lot better. ❤️
 
@Photogirl Don't you hate when our husbands are right, lol!!! I made the mistake of "helping" my husband last Saturday as he was prepping some garden boxes for me. Like an idiot I was bending over, moving dirt, etc. The hubs was exasperated with me!! What a mistake too because I paid for it the next 4 days........and I'm still not where I was before my "helping", ha ha!!! So it pains me to say, but listen to your husband! Sometimes they are right :heehee: and after all who really knows us better!!! Definitely try the ice, Tylenol or NSAIDs if needed. And yep, still elevate if you have any swelling or to prevent the swelling. Hope you have a wonderful travel, enjoy!!!
 
LOL! Yup, hate to admit when he’s right! Thanks for your thoughts, you totally cheered up my day.
 
As Layla mentioned, several of us had the pain you described, and it wasn't from overdoing necessarily (although you could cause it by that as well).
For me, it was exactly as you described. I'd be fine when I walked, fine when I sat, but when I stood to walk, it would be hard to take that first step, due to pain, as well as just a sense the leg didn't want to go. When Mojo said she had the same thing, and called it stutter steps, I was so relieved.

I believe it was something I was concerned about around 6 weeks. I learned to stand a few seconds and stabilize myself on both legs before I tried to walk. That really helped. Gradually this issue went away, until one day, about 10 weeks I realized I didn't have it anymore, and didn't really even know when it left. :heehee:

I believe it is very normal, and suspect yours will gradually disappear as well:)
 
Thanks for your comments Debru4! Truly appreciate your encouragement. That’s what’s great about this forum, it definitely helps to hear from others who are experiencing similar issues. It makes me feel like it’s not so concerning. Hope you continue to improve in your healing journey.
 
Hi Photogirl. Try a few calf stretches from a seating position before you get up and also some buttock squeezes. Then when standing up take time to clench again and concentrate on the first step and use heel to toe walking. Like Layla said it does get easier. You are doing well to get off the cane and move house too. I could not have imagined doing this after just six weeks.

Incidentally I still ice sometimes when getting back from work having driven home. It cuts down on the painkillers.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom