TKR Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi NLT.... So sorry for your struggles with becoming your own advocate. I am struggling with a similar situation with pain control only 8 days PO. With a lot of support and information from this site, I have learned in the past 48 hrs that I must be my own cheerleader and fight for my rights as a patient. Your story and the replies here on your thread have been inspirational. Please keep us up on your progress. Praying for you!:friends:
 
Thanks friends for all the kind encouragement.

Mawmaw Daisy--I hope you have worked out your issues with pain control. How are you feeling? At two weeks out, I'm hoping you're getting lots of rest! Please keep me posted on your recovery and thank very much for the prayers. I've been sending them your way, as well :)
 
Hi friends,
There seem to be so many phases to this surgery and recovery... it gets overwhelming at times. Finally found a good PT who actually had me off the walker last week. When I leave therapy, it's a good feeling of strength, flexibility and hope. Waking up the next day seems to bring everything crumbling down. The knee is stiff again... walker's back out. Feeling like every day is like starting all over again. Depression is the latest problem, starting this past weekend. Just getting out of bed is enough to push me over the edge. No appetite. Trying to force down some fruit and soup to ward off that dreaded constipation. When do you stop feeling tired? I could sleep my life away right now. Actually, it might be preferable :)

Is there a point in time when you take 3 steps forward without going 4 steps back?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Sending positive thoughts to each and every one of you <3
 
You are exactly at the worst time; it seems to have been going on forever, that it will go on forever.

But it won't.

If you keep doing gentle stretching exercises, resting, icing, elevating things will improve.

Imagine moving a pile of 1,000 bricks, one at a time. You work for ages and it looks like nothing's happened; but it has, and in time all those bricks will be shifted.

Take heart, take one day at a time, don't panic.

Oh and if you sleep a lot, that's good. Healing time!
 
My Dr told me that I would hate him and myself for 6 weeks and then suddenly I will notice that I am better and will be glad I had the surgery. I am scheduled for April 30, and stories like your are what I fear most. I hope you start coming around soon because YOU WILL!!!
 
My GP said I'd be 'out the game' for 3 months and it would be a year before I was glad I'd had it done
 
For some reason totally unknown to any of us, the 4 week mark seems to be a bit of a killer :sad: Fortunately I've left that horrible phase of the TKR recovery phase behind me. One of the things that helped me was BEFORE getting out of bed in the morning I would use a bag of frozen sweetcorn & covered in a cloth, ice my knee all over, back & front for a good 40 minutes. Then I would do the gentle stretches or heel slides before making it down stairs. I could then do my exercises set for me by my pt person & would then ice again afterwards. It really helped with the swelling & stiffness. Remember to keep elevating & resting as much as you can too! The depression came as a complete shock to me too. Again, it will pass but just be prepared for this " Roller coaster" of emotions. Good luck :flwrysmile:
 
Weeks 4 thru 6 were the worst for me!! And I think everyone feels that way at that stage. Unlike regular surgeries where you are fairly recovered by 6 weeks, a tkr is a whole different story. At six weeks you are still in the early stage and still have lots of recovery to go. So in turn, you get depressed, becuz you thought by now you would be back to normal. Your not!

I am at 7 1/2 mos out right now. I am feeling more positive in life and my knee is much improved. But I still have stiffness and after walking a bit still get fatigued and sore afterwards. Hang in there, this is a very long recovery, and as was stated above, it takes a full year to fully recover from this surgery. Hugs!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Two Steps Forward, One Step Back
​
 
Clearly you never read the articles I left you in reply to your very first post. In there is one about post-op blues. Now that I have merged your THREE threads(!) you can go to post #2 and read them!

And please don't keep starting new threads. We need continuity of your story.
 
Having just joined two weeks ago, I'm not fully aware of how everything works here. Sorry to have broken the rules, Josephine.

I have been reading the articles when I feel up to it. Apparently I didn't see the post-op blues article.

Thanks for the feedback. Surely I will be more careful before posting again.
 
Thanks to everyone who posted with their suggestions and advice. Seeing that there are caring and kind people out there who are willing to share their experience makes a world of difference. I can't thank you all enough for making a really bad day much more tolerable.

All the best to everyone. Sending positive thoughts to each and every one of you.
 
OOhhhhh those blues! If you are still on pain meds...they could be your culprit. Just stay with us and we will try to cheer you on as best we can. Did you ever wonder why they do PT every other day? The truth of the matter is that any exercise that we do, make minute tears in the muscles. In our case we have a lot going on...we are blasting away scar tissue, we are irritating the inside incisions, we are stretching new muscles....in other words we are really ticking off our knee when we do PT...thus every other day. I found that I needed to do lots of elevating and icing the day after PT. It also helped to do it immediately after as well. Our bodies are miraculous creations and enigmas.
 
Hi nlthomp. I had my RTKR on the same day as you. I had a bent knee going into the op, about 10 degrees off flat. The only thing my PT has recommended for me to use in helping with extension is a rolled up towel under the ankle. Nothing drastic and "try" to do that for up to 10mins. I only manage 5mins. I am 5degrees off flat. I am happy with small improvements. Because of your harsh start to PT you have gone backwards a little, but just take it slow. I can see little improvements everyday. I do my exercises my PT has instructed me to do, but he says aim
for 10 "if you can" . Sometimes I can, but if I can't, then so be it. I still have a stiff knee that swells up, but so long as I can see little improvements that's all that counts. I would be phoning up PT places and asking them if they have a gentle approach to knee replacement rehab, if not keep phoning til you find one. My PT is gentle, kindly pushes, but not to pain. If I say I can't do that, he finds something easier. It's "slow and steady" that wins this race. Tired, have a sleep, it's your body's way of teling you what it needs. Need a cry, have a good one, you will feel so much better for it. Just listen to your body, your knee especially, IT WILL TELL YOU. Keep reading here and you will find someone who's been there and what they've done. Read all you can from the Library, it's a huge help. But most importantly what you will learn here is that we are all very different in the way we heal, but the most positive thing is - we all get there in the end. Take care on your journey, you will be fine. Jenny:)
 
Hello brs0660! Yes, still on pain meds, but weaning off. I can't imagine going thru PT without any, but I agree with you on the depression being related. I see you've had both knees replaced some time ago. How are you feeling? Are you pleased with the results? Must seem like a long time ago :). All the best to you and thanks for checking in!

@kimejen--What a nice message! Congratulations on your improvements. Sounds like you are doing well and have a great attitude. It's been four long weeks as of today. My new PT is much nicer and listens to what I have to say... usually. Yesterday she grabbed my foot and bent it backwards until I was in tears. I was yelling for her to stop, but she kept pushing and telling me to take deep breaths. That upset me and I reminded her that I came there seeking gentle and consistent stretching. Sure hope it doesn't happen again or I will be back out looking for someone else. You are certainly correct about all of us having our own unique journey. I wish you continued success with your recovery. Thanks so much for taking the time to write. All the best to you, Jenny. Kind Regards--Nancy :)
 
Hi Nancy. so sorry you seem to be having such a difficult time with PTs. Our recovery is bad enough without them adding to the pain instead of helping. If it happens again i really would consider looking for someone else you know you can rely on. Listen to the advice given on here. It has helped me so much and I thank God for the day i found this site. Take care and keep checking in. X
 
Hi Pat--I agree with you about the PT. I'm going to remind her on Thursday about our discussion. Thanks for checking in. How is your LTKR coming along? I see you have the right knee pending. Everything you've read and learned here should be a great help to you this time around. I hope all goes well for you. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts. Please check back in and let us know how you are doing. Best, Nancy
 
Hi Nancy,
I'm only 2 weeks post op and the roller coaster ride has kicked into high gear for me. I can go from boiling angry to cryin in a matter seconds. I'm still trying to get a grip on the pain. Trying to 'save' what pain meds I do have for PT. Mornings are the worst. Keep hanging in there and keep posting. I like hearing what you have to say.:)
 
Nancy, I think it's a bit soon to be weaning off pain meds, it's still very early in your recovery,
Nancy x
 
Hi Mary--so nice to hear from you again. Oh boy, two weeks is like yesterday! I feel your pain, my friend. Did you see the post above by Roy Gardiner? I felt a sense of relief after reading his analogy.

You are exactly at the worst time; it seems to have been going on forever, that it will go on forever.

Imagine moving a pile of 1,000 bricks, one at a time. You work for ages and it looks like nothing's happened; but it has, and in time all those bricks will be shifted.

Take heart, take one day at a time, don't panic.

Oh and if you sleep a lot, that's good. Healing time
!

Are you currently in PT? How is that working out for you? Have you discussed refilling your pain meds with your OS? I've noticed that some are a bit stingy. Mine has been pressing me to wean off, but I was able to get enough for one more week. I've been to see my GP and hoping he might be willing to discuss my staying on the meds at least through PT. Are you sleeping through the night? I agree with you on the mornings being really tough.

Mutley had some very helpful advice.

For some reason totally unknown to any of us, the 4 week mark seems to be a bit of a killer :sad: Fortunately I've left that horrible phase of the TKR recovery phase behind me. One of the things that helped me was BEFORE getting out of bed in the morning I would use a bag of frozen sweetcorn & covered in a cloth, ice my knee all over, back & front for a good 40 minutes. Then I would do the gentle stretches or heel slides before making it down stairs. I could then do my exercises set for me by my pt person & would then ice again afterwards. It really helped with the swelling & stiffness. Remember to keep elevating & resting as much as you can too! The depression came as a complete shock to me too. Again, it will pass but just be prepared for this " Roller coaster" of emotions. Good luck :flwrysmile:

I've been following this routine and it has helped quite a bit with the pain and lack of flexibility. I found that it gives me a feeling of hope when I wake up :) Still bursting into tears and anger fits just like yourself... guess that will run it's course.

Please make sure to keep me posted on your progress. We both have a very long journey ahead of us, but maybe sharing thoughts and feelings might help to ease the pain. Best, Nancy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom