Bilateral TKR Two Knees, One Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Parawheels I think that's a wonderfully positive report! We all have to find that balance as we go through recovery. I'm proud of you for all you've accomplished so far! Just keep listening to your body and you'll be fine.

I see that this thread was originally started in the pre-op forum a few days before your surgery. So I hope you don't mind that I'm now moving it to post-op so we can continue to get updates on your recovery.
 
@Jamie, thank you for the affirmation. As for the location of my last entry, I'm mystified because I was actually replying to your earlier post. But then it was about midnight that I posted, so I was probably half asleep with pain meds! I do have a post recovery thread I started, so I'm probably really messed up now with two threads, LOL. Okay, have a great day!
 
You are doing very very well......your gait will continue to improve and know that it is difficult to undo years of walking on bad knees so soon....great report.

Vinny
 
Great! The "tin man" walk will gradually improve. you're moving along.:walking:
 
Sounds like you are doing great, so easy to over do especially in the pool.
I am going to give you your own copy of the recovery articles, they will help answer any questions you may have.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds as prescribed
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

Keep us posted on how you are doing,
 
@Parawheels I had my bilaterals on 28 Jan so you are about 3 weeks behind me. Yes you are right in saying that each knee is an individual surgery. I started off with my left knee that I named Laverne, being cranky & uncooperative. Now it is Shirley's turn (right knee) with lateral muscle pain just above the knee into the beginning of the thigh - ho hum this recovery is a see-say event but all is good.

Glad to hear that you are on the up and up. I agree re the stamina being all over the place - some days a diamond, some days a stone... take care of you, cheers Maggie x
 
Hi @Maggie94. Thanks for asking. I'm doing okay, but this is certainly a crooked and narrow road of recovery. For the last several days, I've only wanted to nap. When I do get up, I've had less stamina and feel stiff, and my mood has been cranky and on the edge of tears. I didn't want to go to PT yesterday and almost called off. But I got myself up, showered, dressed and sweet hubby reassured me, this too shall pass, and he took me to PT. Sarah worked with me, we went through some exercises and measurements. ROM is 115 in each knee and extension is 3 on right/0 on left. No improvement in ROM, though those are good numbers less than 5 weeks out, but good change in extension, so that's what we worked on.

One of the goals I listed for my PT was to be able to get down and up off the floor, so with the help of a other PT they got me to the floor and on the second try I pulled and pushed myself onto my knees, said a quick prayer for help and then to my feet! Without pain! My PT always challenges me and then encourages and teaches me to get there. I felt much better, though my appetite is still off, as foods and drinks don't taste good to me. In fact, the thought of anything more than toast or crackers has been nauseating. So at the grocery store, I stocked up on protein drinks and hopefully that will help the energy drain.

Today, I'm going to bike for 15 minutes and walk outside, as it's going to be warm. And sit on our back deck and get some sun. I feel like I've gone around yet another bend in this road.

Have a great day!
 
Hey @Parawheels....take it easy girl you are only 5weeks post surgery. Totally get the no stamina thing...its frustrating. Friend put dinner on for me last Friday with a 6.30 pm start cause she understands....after 1.5 hours I had to excuse myself and go home. Crashed. Exhausted. Have another dinner invitation for this Saturday.... Think I will beg off cause I just can't rely on being OK stamina wise.
Love the idea of getting up off the floor. I got down there yesterday to do some stretches and couldn't get back up. Ended up butt shuffling to the sofa and used my arms for leverage.
I have not had the tears but I have had the grumpies. Understand about food too. I am only back to drinking coffee this past week or so.
Patience is the long game here but I don't think many of us are good players...we are impatient to get up and go.
Re stiffness in the morning I have my knees smothered in vitamin E and wrapped in Satin wrap tonight to see if this really works....google it. Nothing to lose I say.
Keep your chin up. You are not alone in this recovery. There are a few of us bilatetals out there and our path is definitely same same bit different to the othet TKRs. Take care Maggie x
 
Thanks @Maggie94 I definitely will be taking it easier. You're right, patience is difficult but I know I can do this.

I'm still not back to drinking coffee. I've tried teas, but those aren't tasting so good either, and I chuckled at both of us getting down and off the floor on the same day!

It has been great to find this site for the information and encouragement I've gained. Just reading the struggles others are having makes me know I'm still on track. I'm still so glad I had bilateral surgery and I wonder if most of us bilaterals feel the same way.

How did the vitamin E and saran work? I'll have to look that up. Have a great day and thanks for the encouragement.
 
Bilaterals rule. And you are doing great. Everyone heals a little different. When I first sat on the floor thank god my iPad was nearby. I sat there and watched a you tube video of old people with new knees get off the floor. I was an old person before Lenny and Squiggy came into my life. Your breakthrough week is just around the bend

Vinny
 
Hi @Parawheels I have to say that I could not imagine having one done then the other. I told my OS that doing it that way was to me like being half pregnant....ain't gonna happen.
Satin wrap made my knees softer in the morning...there was none of that initial stretch pain/tingling when I bent them in the morning. Didn't have a good night's sleep though...you know how it is, one night is OK the next is not. Ho hum patience again.
You really are having a tough time if even tea is not agreeing with you...I guess all you can do is wait till your body says "hey I want some X". Since my surgery I have not had any craving for sweet things....I have chocolate in the fridge.....this was unheard of pre surgery. Have a great day, chat later, Maggie x
 
@Maggie94 Chuckling again at the chocolate in the fridge. I too am not craving sugar and especially not chocolate. I did have strawberry shortcake with whip cream yesterday though, but it doesn't taste the same. That's okay, I can overdo it on sugar and it's not good for me.

Today was not the day I planned. Sweet hubby had severe pain he thought was from a kidney stone. It went on and on and his doctor's office said he should go to the hospital. Since this was sudden, I could not get anyone to take him, and so five weeks after my surgery and before I've been cleared to drive, I had to take him 40 minutes away to the emergency room. I'm thankful to God that I had little pain or swelling today and though I was uncomfortable and restless all day, both hubby and I made it home five hours later. His pain has subsided and they could find no other stones, so we think he passed it.

Sweet hubby is sleeping now and eventually I should also be drifting off. Tomorrow will definitely be a rest day for both of us. I guess this is another example for me that this recovery has to happen within the framework of everyday living that sometimes involves unplanned events.
 
@Parawheels he he - I also drove early 4 weeks 5 days in my stick shift - absolutely no problem... I drove to my GP on my 5 week anniversary to be told by her that she had no doubt I was good for it but legally here you cannot drive for 6 weeks post op. Yes, unusually for me I was good and waited another week.

Sorry Hubby had such pain - hopefully it is a one off... My day has been a slow one - no mojo, tired and legs ached. On lounge now having dinner while icing and downing a lovely glass of wine - all very relaxing:chillpill:

Tomorrow is another day on the recovery train - take care of you - Maggie x
 
@maggie, I forgot you're ahead of me. While you are lounging at dinner, I'm in bed, having taken my morning meds cocktail and waiting for sunrise. It's 6:44AM here, and it's been lightning and thundering, so we will probably have another stormy morning. Ahhh, but that is spring in central Ohio, USA. Enjoy your evening and hopefully, you will have a better sleep tonight.
 
His pain has subsided and they could find no other stones, so we think he passed it.
I have never been in so much pain and agony as when I had one of those boogers!

You are doing quite well---BTKR's are the way to go, and you are making excellent progress!
but that is spring in central Ohio, USA.
No lightening here in the Northern part of the Buckeye State, but yesterday it was 60, and I called balls and strikes----Saturday, maybe 27*!---and I have a double header---that ain't going to happen!

It is great that you you had PT's help teach you how to get off of the floor! I had to learn that maneuver by myself!
 
Today, I'm going to bike for 15 minutes and walk outside, as it's going to be warm. And sit on our back deck and get some sun. I feel like I've gone around yet another bend in this road.
You are getting there---my recovery from the BTKR was a long and, at times frustrating process---but you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and things will continue to improve!
 
O Stones!!! I have been there. You did well getting him to the hospital. My crash with kidney stones was pretty bad. Mine was huge and caused my kidney to double in size and was to big to pass. It was so bad morphine didn't even help. They had to do surgery on me and basted it into prices with a laser. As long as they checked for other stones sounds like he had a successful pass of a stone.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Parawheels - don't get discouraged about your progress, it will happen even though some days it looks like you'll never get there. I sometimes wish my taste for sweets, etc. hadn't returned but I'm sad to say, it has and the weight is sneaking up a bit :heehee: I'm 4 1/2 months out of my bilaterals and there are still things that are a bit challenging but I can do them with effort - stairs (like a "normal" person) and getting up from a low chair or toilet. However, I'm one of the lucky ones - my recovery has been good and I can walk a good distance without any aids. You are early in the journey but before you know it, you'll be surprising yourself with how well you are doing. At about 2 months, with my GP's permission I started exercising in a local pool in water that was waist deep. I think that helped me with balance and building muscles. I guess the bottom line of what I'm saying is - don't get discouraged, listen to your body when it tells you to rest and you'll get there! Sorry to hear you had the additional stress of your husband's kidney stones, trust he's feeling a bit better today.
 
Thanks to all for your encouragement for my sweet hubby as well as myself. He had doctor appointments and more tests today to make certain the stone is passed. I have my final appointment with the surgeon this week until the yearly exams and he'll hopefully clear me for driving - LOL! As for Lefty and Righty, it's as if they aren't related. We saw our daughter this weekend, who is a PT and teaches at Kent State. She and my regular PT notice that I'm picking up my left hip and swinging out my foot as I walk. No matter how much I concentrate on it, I still have pain when I try to walk normally on it. And this, even though it has always had better numbers than Righty. It's a matter I'll take up with the surgeon this week. My daughter suggested a slow walk, 10 minutes at no more than 2 mph on a treadmill will force a normal gait. So I'll go to the Y and test it out. I'm thankful for the progress I've made and surprised that this has not been more difficult. And again, thankful for the resources and encouragement and happy thoughts I get from you all! Now if I could only get a full night's sleep!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom