Guest viewing is limited

TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

@flsungirl lady get out in the sun!!!! :walking:

Had a brutal evening last night and some difficulty falling asleep but once there I felt like I slept well. Now whether that was sleeping or passed out from all the pills I took for the first time since the day of my surgery I don’t know.

Will see what today brings. Got all my ice and pillows ready to go. :ice:
 
@traceys sleeping , passing out? Who cares how you got there? :sleeep: Sleep is just glorious and underrated! Haha.
And I really should get out there in the Florida sunshine, and I’m hoping today is the day! Yesterday my hip was still uncooperative and the knee was too tight. Today it feels almost back to the way it was before my horror therapy! :censored: But still aching and have the zingers again.

I did most of my exercises today but didn’t put 2 lb weights on my feet. I’m doing baby steps cause I don’t want another set back. I’m going to call PT today because I have an appointment tomorrow. I need to let them know the advancement that I was making got shot down in flames last week:tantrum: due to them!

How’s Canadian weather today? Keep on resting and relaxing ... hope you sleep,well tonight and that your pain is tolerable. When I get out and about I’ll yell HI to you in Canada! It’ll be carried in the wind! See, I’m getting nutty !:rotfl:
 
Welllll..... ODIC today..... chapter president in fact.
Today I made a huge dinner, vacuumed our small apartment, straightened up everything, went downstairs to check mail, and just ADL. I used my cane most of the time because 3x I just walked off (limping on my bit fully straight TKR leg) and left the cane behind. :shocked:

Iced 2x all day for about 45min each time.

Now? I feel like my knee is on fire burning and has 2 steel bands above and below it.
On top of it all today I switched from my Perc 5/325 to codeine 30mg. I am going to have to take perc tonight or I am not going to sleep at all and I have pt tomorrow but no massage til Friday.

Just got so frustrated I’m 7wk today and not further along. :bawl::banghead:
 
Oh Traceys it sounds like you have reached a point where you are trying to use force of will to power through. 7 weeks is still very early in this process. Typically recovery takes a full year and that is if everything goes perfectly with no underlying conditions. To take on one or even two of the tasks you listed would have been a great achievement and quite honestly would have earned a response from your baby knee. You ARE going to get through this but not on your time table. Your knee is going to decide what it is ready to do and when. Please don’t get down on yourself we have all been there. You may be the Ontario chapter president of the ODIC but you have a lot of competition. We are here to dust you off and cheer you on please give yourself permission to recover at your knees pace. Hope you sleep well.
 
@traceys , as you are at the end of your day you may find that another good icing, elevation and sleep will see you OK tomorrow. Often at the end of some days I've felt that :censored: I've put myself into the club. But after doing these things I've been amazed the next morning that I missed the club :happydance:
 
After the day you had yesterday, you are going to need to just rest, elevate and ice today. Cancel your PT appointment would be the better thing to do. Your knee needs a break for a few days/

I have read the guidelines so many times and get more depressed each time. :sorry:

I slept about 7hrs intermittantly with the help of a Percocet and just canceled my pt today. I feel so guilty but know it will just set off anything I gain. I’m not even doing home stretches the past week as it feels like there is no point being nothing is increasing the rom after 7 wks anyways.
I know the rmt found all the probs that need addressing but I am just so tired and discouraged in my situation.
It’s like too much info and conflicting sides. Do this - don’t do this - try this - no that’s harmful.

I know .... I’m being really whiny and I’m so sorry. :unsure: :beg:
 
This is all normal @traceys Rest as much as you can, ice, elevate and if you can nap, do it. The sleep deprivation is just awful but it will gradually get better. This is my third replacement, second knee. It will get better if you avoid aggressive PT and medical advice. The contortions and stress on your muscles and tendons during the surgery take a long time to recover from. If you overdo things your knee will swell and it can swell all the way down to the ankle. Been there. So rest. Best wishes.
 
It’s like too much info and conflicting sides. Do this - don’t do this - try this - no that’s harmful.
What is different about the advice on BoneSmart is that everyone of us has been through a knee replacement and probably multiple knee surgeries. We have the on-hand experience and we know what works. Take a look at a YouTube video of a knee replacement and you will understand all the trauma that was done to your poor knee. All those tissues have to heal and that takes time and gentle movements. Please try and look at it from your knee's point of view!

You are not whiny! Come here and vent as much as you want. We understand like no one else can! :prayer::prayer:
 
@traceys thats my girl! I watched all the old Halloween movies the past few days. I know exactly how you feel 7;weeks out. Me too most of the time. I’m not sleeping again as soundly as before. So of course bouts of tears mixed in this week....again.

This too shall pass :angel: I hope you have some comfort knowing you’re not alone in this :console2:
 
@traceys many of us slept in recliners for the first 5 or 6 weeks. I would trybed each night but move to the recliner after a couple of hours. I also napped everyday. Now at 9 weeks I’m in my bed and sleeping 7 hours but it is a toss and turn event with one or two pillows between the legs for side sleeping and one long pillow under the leg for back sleeping. My cover look like a hurricane went through each morning but at least I am sleeping :)
I slept in a recliner for 4 weeks, I also had night sweats fo 5. My surgery was 9/14. Rainy weather is very noticeable, mornings I am slow to get going but once I do I loosen up. Still stiff, sometimes horribly, sometimes just there (most of the time). Took my first outside, solo 20 minute walk today. I keep progressing, that is my goal.
 
Last edited:
So today I let myself be a lump in my recliner.:elevate:
Minimal movement except for ADL. The weather was soooo damp and cold and with my recent screw up and doing way too much I paid for it.
And aside from some stiffness, horrid swelling and brutal ITB pain I can say I’m none the worse for wear for it.

Of course my work HR chose today to call and get into it with me on my recent functional ability form and return to work date. I am not letting them bully me on that.
:bignono:

Thank you to those that reached out with your words and support today.
:loveshwr:

I think tomorrow I shall be out of this funk and ready to start a new month.
 
Well. Slept ok last night once I finally got there at 3am. Wasn’t due to pain but more so much on my mind. I’d say I got about 5-6 hrs productive sleep.
I could feel the stiffness the moment I woke up tho and the knee still looks swollen to me. It always looks swollen even after I ice it tho so who knows. It def doesn’t look anything like my other knee - just so.....big and round.
I sat on the side of the bed and it bent to about 70 without any hesitation where normally it takes forever and looks like it’s hydraulic it moves so slow.

I would love to get a Lounge Doctor as I don’t think I’m elevating enough or right but they are soooo expensive to get up here in Canada what with shipping and dollar exchange. Found others but they aren’t the same angle, just flat so not really draining. Tried to find one used and on amazon too but no luck.

Will see what today brings. It’s raining and 3 degrees C again so don’t see going outside to walk. Maybe I’ll just stroll through the hallways on my crutches a bit and see if I can get a heel strike. Pt and massage tomorrow.

@Larryhg3 i wondered how you were doing yesterday. With you in spirit my friend!
 
There are other companies out there that make the correct style of a leg lift. Try googling it. That's how I found one. I don't remember who the company was, but my knees really liked it!
 
My friends and TKR family ...
Just letting everyone know I am going to take a hiatus from Bonesmart for a while.
:sorry:
You were all amazing in helping me through so many questions and scary moments and I am grateful BUT...
I find myself constantly comparing myself to everyone in here- looking at surgery dates and the rom’s and who can do what etc. It is putting me in a terrible place mentally and emotionally. It’s my personality type and I can’t help it. :bignono:
So I will have to take a leave and figure this out going forward.
I shall miss you all but Ive got to look after me right now
 
I understand! Take care of yourself and just be you. :SUNsmile: Sending healing prayers up for you! :praying:
Catch you later!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom