TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

@traceys I like the thought of “knee twins” ! I’m still recovering from the over aggressive knee bend on Wednesday. The knee is much better and my hip is getting there. I’m so irritated that I had this set back, because I thought I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. So glad PT had nothing open until next Wednesday. I’m hoping tomorrow morning I’ll be ready for a walk around the block. I did a few pool steps ( up and down on one) today. And a few, a very few exercises.

I’m so proud of you with the pain meds. You and only you will know when and if you’ll need more. I regret not utilizing pain meds for longer than 2 weeks. I think it might have made a difference, possibly with the insomnia. But that boat has sailed. I hope your recovery progressively continues to get easier. It has for me, and I no sleep has helped!

Happy 20th anniversary! :martini:

Melanie
 
@traceys I am so glad you used the incident with the doctor to get more determined not more depressed. Half (at least) of this is mental and emotional. I echo Celle in saying use caution as to how “aggressive” you get with PT and how quickly add new exercise. These things have a way of “bouncing back” that evening or even a day later and we find ourselves doubting ourselves again. If you feel you are ready to add new exercises explain that to your therapist and have them ease them in slowly. Good luck and stay positive I believe it makes the journey easier.
 
So Saturday here in Ontario roared in with high wind, driving rain and cold damp air. I got up cranky and sore and feeling a bit unlike myself. Hardly slept last night and finally took a perc about 5am.
Hubby and I went out for a drive today and I made dinner but just worn out and struggling to keep my eyes open but can’t fall asleep.
I know I did more in pt yesterday and expected the stiffness and swelling but hoping for a good sleep and relief tomorrow and that this is just a bit of a dip.
Love reading that others are also taking it easy today too. Off to find somewhere and somehow to sit comfy and nest in with my ice. :bored::swoon::gaah:
 
Does anyone have an area on the lateral side of the knee that is not only numb but when you feel it it’s rock hard and thicker? I used to have an ice pick pain in there when trying to flex which is now gone (thankfully) but that thick dead zone is unchanged. :flabber:
 
I have the same numb, hard spot. While it is numb on the outside, it is tender to press on, and that's often where I get pain with activity, if I get pain. My OS said to be patient and it will go away, and it is getting better. Now that I'm done with PT and substituting walking, the improvement is moving even faster.
 
I still have that same numb area. It's about 4"x2". Occasionally, I'll get tiny zingers in there, so the nerves must still be trying to heal.
 
I have a spot on my quad that gets super tight and uncomfortable particularly first thing in the morning. My doctor says that I have a very deep muscle bruise that can take a very long time to clear up. I also get stabbies, zingers whatever name you give them it is nerves waking up and firing randomly. My wife giggles because it shows on my face when they happen and sometimes I use bad language because they take me by surprise. Hang in there as you move forward this process give you so many fun “presents”.
 
A couple of you mentioned random stinging or "zingers." I get those, too, and if I get really tired, when I lie down to sleep the muscles tense up in my leg and my quad "quivers." It's a pretty violent jerking. If I rub my leg and get up and walk through the house once or twice it stops. It's pretty irritating because I can feel the joint clicking together when it happens.
 
Thanks all but it’s not the numbness or stingers I’m wondering about but the fact the numb area is rock hard and feels thickened.
It’s like it’s solidified or the way a really old callous feels
 
Thanks all but it’s not the numbness or stingers I’m wondering about but the fact the numb area is rock hard and feels thickened.
It’s like it’s solidified or the way a really old callous feels
It's probably a swollen knee bursa, which will go down as your knee heals and its internal swelling goes down. I also had a swollen area like that and it eventually went away.Here's a picture of the bursae of the knee.
You can see that one of them is situated about where the numb area is:
[Bonesmart.org] TS’s lopsided recovery'


There is more information in this article:
Baker's cysts and other knee bursae
 
So. Day 48. Just home from physio and my first massage treatment. Came in and had a good cry and ready to move forward again now. :sorry:

For a few wks I was wondering why I can’t seem to get any further ahead in progress in terms of my numbers (yes I know they aren’t everything in this but it’s a gauge for me) and yet I see so many others improving. I tried letting it heal. I tried ice and elevation. I tried aggressive pt (pre BoneSmart) and gentler pt now and even no pt.
No real pain and I can weight bear and sleep a bit but.....

My rmt answered all of that. The short version is she discovered almost all of my hamstrings, lateral quads and calf muscles are a mess. They are prohibiting my leg from walking and healing and moving like it should. Throw in a torn piriformis hip muscle and she said she’s stunned I’m as far as I am.
She immediately went to talk to my pt and surgeon (the benefit of having them all in the same clinic) and told them I have to stop a lot of exercises and expectations until she can correct the soft tissue and get me healed. All of my work to date has been for nought. :bawl:

I find out Wednesday what the new plan will be for me. In the meantime I’m back on crutches ice and percocets.
:gaah:

This is the day I wonder why I ever had the surgery.


And @flsungirl thanks for the thoughts on that other member’s feed and glad to hear you are seeing gains now!!
 
Oh Traceys I am so sorry to hear about the set back. I am pretty surprised that your PT and surgeon didn’t pick up on these issues. I guess looking on the bright side you now have a clear path forward. Please be gentle with your knee and keep us updated on your progress.
 
Proof that the trained response is usually “it’s just post op issues” or “you need to put more effort in”

My knee injury was 37 yrs ago. 17 surgeries between then and now. Ya - nothing in there is normal. She said the amount of trauma and adhesions and scar tissue ... it was like running her hand over corrugated cardboard in places
 
I won’t disagree with that at all Traceys. As much as everyone likes to say that every knee is different, it seems like people give “canned answers” an awful lot. Try to stay positive this is just a small bump in your journey.
 
Oh no @traceys ! I’m so sorry to hear this. But now they know what’s going on it can be fixed. I can’t even imagine what you’re going through. I keep typing and erasing because I don’t know what to say. And that very rarely happens to me! Hahahaha.

Please keep us Updated on your recovery. You got this!
 
:puppysmooze:@traceys , my knee twin, how are you doing this morning? I hope you got some sleep and you feel a little better. My sleeping is back to sporadic but I am sleeping. I think my knee has calmed down a bit and hoping the internal swelling is going down. It’s weird how it looks bruised again after the overly aggressive PT. My hip is not as bad, still not good, but hopefully continues to improve. Still haven’t been out of the house since last Wednesday and I’m going a little coo coo! I’m watching Creepshow, an old Stephen King movie. Wow the special effects aren’t so special! These kids now adays would just laugh and laugh! But back in the day, I would have been scared to death! Hehe :heehee:

Finishing my third cup o’ joe and just wanted to check up on you. Just think, one day.....this will all be just an unpleasant memory. :beg: I don’t know why I thought it would be easier. Proof that I’m not getting smarter as I get older! Hahahahaha

Melanie
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom