TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

I shed a tear reading about your mom, too. Thanks for sharing that.
Good luck tomorrow walking the track.

Westminster Dog Show :rotfl: . I snorted coffee out of my nose with that one.
Traceys.....Best in Show!
 
@NavyGunns i wouldn’t call it pain today as much as just achy and that tight feel. That alone is an improvement in my book.

@DLR @Lindylee my mom is a really strong woman. I had no idea my parents were carrying that guilt for so long. They did what they thought was best for me.

@beachy
:dogsniff: I’m sure not winning any agility or obedience trials!

I’m happy to report cupcakes apparently work like pain meds! :heehee:
 
@traceys its interesting to see your posts. I’ve had knee problems since I was 9, a jolly long time. My rtkr was the first surgery I’ve had on either of my knees even though my surgeon said it was the worst knee he had operated on. 11 months post surgery, my knee continues to improve slowly. My bend is probably no more than 95 ish, I developed scar tissue very early on. However because I went from 65 to 95very quickly around 12 weeks, they decided against a MUA. Now I have problems with limping and lopsided-ness. I think I may get some poles. It seems they are helping you, and might help me. Our pt over here is very limited and I’m not really getting any help at the moment. Think I need to start using those poles and eradicate the limp. Best wishes with your continued recovery
 
@Jazz1963 the poles are incredible. I’m loving them and will happily use them. Any questions pls don’t hesitate. There is so much to learn about them as they aren’t all the same.
 
That if her and my dad would have seen what was happening with it as I was growing up
I often silently blamed my mother for ignoring my joint problems as a child. I remember being about 4 or 5 and crying because my feet and legs hurt so badly. I was told they were just 'growing pains because I was growing so fast'. I remember asking my friends if they had growing pains and they didn't. Reading your mom's reaction makes me wonder if mine felt the same way but just never voiced it. Thank you for sharing that. It helps me get rid of some of that bitterness that I carry around sometimes and look at it from mama's point of view.

Son is cleaning up for me before he leaves.
Now, that's a wonderful son. Somebody raised him right! He'd make a great wife! You and hubby should be proud.

I pray you have a good night and feel much better tomorrow!
 
@sistersinhim :console2:
We never really know what was in our parents minds. Each generation raised its children with different standards or beliefs or methods. We can only hope that OUR upbringing and experience equips us to do better by our own kids and them for theirs. Your mom was probably doing what she thought was best.

I was 6’ by age 14 and suffered growing pains for yrs. Their guilt revolved around buying into my coaches old 1970-1980’s adages of “no pain no gain” or “walk it off” or “suffer now succeed later” or “how bad do you want that starting position”. Volleyball was everything to me and they were willing to do whatever it took to help me reach my goals including ignoring my surgeons...we never dreamed it would put me here 18 surgeries later.

And yes- our son is a good kid (kid? He’s 25!). He’s not a saint but he values family and friends and made us proud more than worried.
 
You are so right about how things are different now. I think people are starting to realize that growing pains are not normal and are an indication of something being wrong. Our parents knew no better.

And proud you should be!
 
:running::running:

First day on the indoor track done.
It took me 56min to get in there, up 22 stairs foot over foot (I counted because that’s what I do thank you ocd!) , walk 5 laps and get back downstairs toddler style.
:dead:

I stink at math but 4.15 laps is a km so I did 1.2km?

The poles definitely helped. So much more upright and sturdy. And my core muscles and good leg are in shock from the activity.
I did sacrifice a quick pace for proper heel toe form and knee bending thru the cycle. I was so proud of myself!!!

There was a moment of reality check that made me tear up and almost quit though. On my second lap I got passed by a very elderly lady with a cane who turned back and smiled and said “keep trying hun. You got this” and every time she lapped me she gave me the :thumb:
I went in the washroom and cried a moment then decided to keep going because I didn’t want to quit over embarrassment.

Home now and I am going to elevate and ice this leg hip to ankle! Fingers crossed for a quick bounceback.
 
Last edited:
:wowspring:
that's a terrific achievement. I've noticed I count steps when I'm in pain, don't think I have OCD :dubious:
I'll keep my fingers crossed for that quick bounce back. :happydance:
 
This is awesome news! So happy for you. These achievements are what keep us going. She was right you will definitely get there!!
 
@NavyGunns she definately had some mobility issues herself. It was just so humbling to realize how far I still have to go but I will get there somehow someday.

@Lindylee i count almost everything. Actually it’s a great distraction during pt and other ADL that can make my knee cranky.

I foresee tomorrow being a very low key day. I was stiff in the few hours after but right now I can barely move anything on my body and the knee is muttering a lot of really bad words. The ice has kept the swelling realistic but I can’t wait to see what it looks like in the morning.
:scaredycat:Time for a pain pill and bed.
 
@Lindylee aw thanks! But nope! Was a comedy routine trying to get the 20ft from my bed to the bathroom this am. Were it not a necessity I would have given up and crawled back between the sheets. :heehee: I had no idea how out of shape I was.

The knee itself is almost inrecognizable it’s so swollen and aches like mad. But this too shall pass - question is how quickly?
 
@traceys if you didn’t before by now you probably hate rollercoasters. What a journey these knees take us on. Be good to yourself today.
As I read about the older lady at the track, I thought I bet she actually understands how hard it can be to do what others consider easy. I am so proud of your perseverance and ability to laugh amidst the tears. You remind me of my oldest daughter, she has an autoimmune disease and at times walks like a little old lady when her pain level is up. She went to Shoppers Drugmart the other day and got the seniors discount..she is 38!...mixed feelings then laughed and enjoyed the saved money.
Hang in there spring is coming!
 
How are you doing today? I hope the knee has calmed down a bit. :console2:
 
@Lindylee not good unfortunately. Mentally and physically sort of down.
Had pt today and she had to measure for my progress and numbers were way down from where I have struggled to get to and it was so swollen and tight. She actually told me to go easy as it was obviously annoyed. Even my massage therapist took it easy.

I know it’s just reacting to the walking now and it’s temporary but it scares me when I stall out or regress.
Just wish there was an end in sight.
 
Oh, that must be so frustrating. It's so hard when you get knocked back like that. You feel like you're making progress and then someone pulls the rug from under your feet (sorry, that may not be the best analogy in the circumstances). Fingers crossed things improve very soon and you can move forward again. :console2:
 
@traceys, sweet lady. You just overdid that knee of yours. You have proven to yourself that you can do all those steps and walking. That's a good thing. The bad thing is you have to pay for it for the next few days. I believe you should have done about 1/2 or even less than you did, but you didn't. Baby that knee for as long as you need to, then your next walk be much more conservative! I pray your knee calms down swifty.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom