TKR TS’s lopsided recovery'

I'd be grateful if you give us some detail about what they suggest, or do to you, for extension. I'm clueless about that. My hamstring flexibility is already good, but I still have problems with getting my leg straight.
 
@rustic I’m not sure my regimen would be suitable for everyone. It’s pretty tailored to my lengthy history and some specific challenges I have and I would hate anyone to try doing them and get injured. It’s also pretty detailed. Lol

I can say quickly that it’s not a short fix, it’s something that takes time and patience. Have you talked to your therapist or trainer to see what they think?
 
Does anyone happen to have a chart or numbers for degrees of flex required for specific activities on average? Eg to bicycle you need x degrees. To ascend stairs etc?
I though I had seen one months ago and cannot find it now. Maybe @Celle or @NavyGunns or @Jockette have seen one in your moderating?

I know nothing is a set number but need rough ranges to get me thru a bumpy patch mentally.
 
From this article:
ROM (range of motion) information

These degrees of flexion are required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces.
 
@traceys you know you are amazing don't you..... what a fantastic report, I hope with the aide of those walking poles you continue to walk more upright, and feel more confident and secure, I admire your fortitude,your strength of character, and your absoloute courage to just keep going inch by inch tiny step by tiny step, by your special date in September you will of blitzed this recovery, and be well on your way to taking amazing photio's

Chris:flwrysmile:
 
It’s been a rough few days for old righty. Since Sunday it’s been unexpectantly really swollen and warm and the pain has meant I had to take some percs the last few days. It’s actually stopped me from doing activity and woken me when I did drift off. :headbang:
Not sure what set it off but I at least now understand it’s temporary when it happens.

Pt today and I was able to do 3min each elliptical and treadmill and lay there for the passive stretches my therapist does. She called off all other exercises tho as she said it appeared to just be really irritated. She was happy that I still had some bend - not my normal range but close. Instead a long ice and icf treatment and simple massage rounded out the appt.

I did however get great news that insurance covered my walking poles so I left with a pair all set to go! My pt and gait therapist asked that I not do any track walking until next week and this knee is over it’s temper tantrum. They said I can putter back and forth a few passes in our building hallway but that’s it. :running:

Home for some ice under my fuzzy blanket and another pill. This too shall pass! :mcoffee:
 
Great that you got coverage for the poles! That's really good news. They will be a big help in your recovery.
 
@traceys glad insurance came through for you. I am elevating and medicating today....Canadian outdoor pt (shovelling and snow blowing) have made everything hurt today. Quite the blizzard yesterday..and so much ice under the snow...can’t wait for spring!
 
@DLR thankfully we don’t have to do “Canadian PT” as we are in a condo building so I stand in the window and watch while stretching :heehee:

@sistersinhim hubby had me demonstrate the pole walking after dinner for one short pass in the hall. Even with my (still brutal) pain he was stunned at the change in my gait. He actually got teary eyed and said he couldn’t remember the last time he saw me walk fully upright :sorry:

Just hoping that tonight I get more than 30min of sleep at a time as I am exhausted and can’t take another night like the last two. :praying:
 
Did you get some decent sleep last night?
 
@sistersinhim i did get more. It was in 1-2hr blocks this time. All total about 6-7hrs but I definitely feel more rested.
Knee woke up not as crabby but super stiff this am. Having a hard time convincing it to do anything.
Although it acts like a toddler I really can’t think of anything I can bribe it with like I would a 2 yr old! Maybe today I will just let it have its way aside from one or two passes down the hall walking.
 
Is it going through the terrible two syndrome? Hopefully something will distract that wayward knee and you'll get back on track. Good news on the poles. What a lovely hubby you have. :flwrysmile:
 
I really can’t think of anything I can bribe it with like I would a 2 yr old!
Promise it with some nice ice, elevation and pain meds! And if she's really good you can let her walk a bit!
 
So slept in 2-3hr blocks again last night. Knee feels more “normal” (not normal like most people but it’s normal) today finally after a few days of only light ADL.

Going to try and get in a little bit of a walk in the hall today to see if that loosens it up and helps with the ache in it.

That pain in the medial side just below the kneecap is still sharp ...would be totally fine with everything if that went away. It’s weird because as soon as I wrap it with a wide tensor the knee feels sooooo good and snug and stable.

What I wouldn’t give to get outside in some nice weather and walk on a sidewalk in the sun.
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom