TKR Trouble sleeping

Its all about the insurance! I went to outpatient PT 3x week and did NOTHING else in between. Its one year later and the knee performs perfectly! You are on the right track...ice and elevate and take meds before you need them. Kneerah!
 
Today I had the bandage and staples removed and steri strips applied! Oh what a feeling!
I also stopped all Pain meds the other day and I think I’m withdrawing. Waking up in puddle of sweat and disgusting body odor. Can’t wait for this to be over!!
 
Mind if I ask why you went off all your pain meds at once? Was it something you were told you should do, or did you feel you needed to for some specific reason? I'm 19 days post-op right now, and I'm still using a combo of Oxycodone, Tramadol, and Tylenol, and gradually increasing the distance between doses and decreasing the number of mg per dose. It seems rather soon for you to stop cold-turkey, based on what I'm seeing from others here.
 
Honestly, I felt I was taking them every 4 hours and really didn’t need them. I saw the surgeon today and had the staples removed and he gave me refills on my meds. I really don’t want to take them as I’d like to make do with Alene, ice and elevating at this point. I’m hoping this passes quickly.
 
I keep waking up in a puddle of sweat. Anyone else have this happen? What’s this all about?
 
Is it possibly age related (sorry don't mean to be offensive but could be peri menopausal). There's more to your physical functioning than what might be related to your knee. Otherwise how's the weather near you? Or could it be some sort of drug withdrawal. Sorry. I know I'm not saying anything you won't already have thought of. Hope you sleep better tonight.
 
Is it possibly age related (sorry don't mean to be offensive but could be peri menopausal). There's more to your physical functioning than what might be related to your knee. Otherwise how's the weather near you? Or could it be some sort of drug withdrawal. Sorry. I know I'm not saying anything you won't already have thought of. Hope you sleep better tonight.

I’m 55 and already been through menopause. I think it could be med related. When I was taking the meds 5-6 times a day, I was fine. Now I take them every 12 hours so maybe my body is beginning to withdraw. I think I’ll call the doc tomorrow to discuss.
 
At 55, even now sometimes, I still had night sweats and hot flashes. This surgery might have thrown your hormones out of wack. Couple that with the med's cut-back, it might be related.
 
Toss, turn, flip, flop. The days are getting easier, but the nights are dreadful! I can only sleep for an hour or so at a time. Any suggestions??
 
@in kneed
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread.
Please don't start new threads.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here.
Don't worry that we won't see your question because, between us, the staff read all new posts every day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Now, about the sleeping:
Problems with sleeping are part and parcel of this recovery. We even have an article about it, which was included in the post-op reading given to you earlier.
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

It can take a long, long time for your sleep patterns to return to normal. Until they do, try to make up for lost sleep by taking daytime naps. Don't try to stay awake during the day, in the hopes that you will sleep better at night. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

Sleep where you can, how you can, and when you can. All those naps add up to the amount of sleep you need.

Don't lie awake in bed, clock-watching. That makes it worse.
Instead, get up, move to a recliner or a couch, watch some mindless TV or read a magazine - anything to take your mind off trying to sleep.
I moved into the spare bedroom, so that I could read or watch TV without disturbing my husband.
Some people take up a hobby they can do in the sleepless hours. I know of one person who taught herself to crochet by watching "How to..." videos on TV.

Don't worry about not sleeping. It will sort itself out, as time passes.
 
Hello @in kneed I had my TKR one day after you. I’m in the same stage now - sleeping is tough. I take Melatonin before bed and put a fresh ice pack on my knee. That helps me fall asleep. I wake up every night around midnight / 1am with muscle cramps and restless legs, often accompanied with nerve pain. I attribute it to my knee and tissues healing. I try not to get frustrated although not easy. I find if I refresh my ice pack that will often help me go back to sleep. Sometimes I take a Percocet just to knock me out so I can rest. I also got a prescription from my surgeon for Methocarbamol (muscle relaxer) and am taking that two to three times a day to help relax my muscles. That has helped. Welcome to the club! We will get through this together. :friends:
 
One of the big differences between my first tkr and my second was that up until a week or so ago, I was getting a couple of hours of sleep at a time before waking up. And of course! I was feeling too smug about it because now it's back to the same thing as with the first tkr - up every hour (no exaggeration) to go to the bathroom! Argh. Honestly, I think the Tramadol lulled my bladder to sleep and am terribly tempted to go back on it for that reason. (kidding....maybe).
Anyway; not sleeping is probably the second worst part of recovery. It'll happen gradually but it seems to take forever to be able to sleep comfortably and for more than 3 hours at a time. I keep saying this but having a tkr is a reminder from nature, God, Allah, whoever, that we shouldn't take the small things in life for granted. It was a thrill when I could start getting on my underwear in the morning without wondering if I was going to have to ask for help!
 
Quite honestly, I feel like Ambien has been a lifesaver for me, though I realize not everyone can take it. When I take it, I can sleep eight hours, even right after surgery. I do not like taking prescription drugs but will admit I am in love with Ambien.
 
@inkneed, I too stopped my pain meds suddenly bad move! I had terrible night sweats, anxiety, nausia, andany other quite unsettling sude effects to sudden stop. I ended up with my mom staying with me and giving me 1/2 a percaset every 8 hrs day 1 then 1/2 percaset every 12 hours day 2 and 3 then only 1/2 day 4. Stopping suddenly was tough and I took it for 6 weeks. As for sleep well hun I'm 8 weeks out now and just finally getting 4 or 5 hours a night steady sleep. But it is good sleep and even occasionally a dream or so lol. I sleep in my recliner it helps a lot. Good luck hun! It gets better this is an awesome group to be in! So many helpful people to help us along. :sleeep:
 
I too stopped my pain meds suddenly bad move! I had terrible night sweats, anxiety, nausia, andany other quite unsettling sude effects to sudden stop.
It's never a good idea to stop pain medications suddenly.
You need to taper off them, or you will have these withdrawal effects.

When the time comes to wean off pain medications, this is what Jamie suggested:
Here is a suggested schedule for cutting back on prescription pain medications. Stay at each level for 3-4 days or even longer if you notice the pain symptoms increasing. This schedule assumes you are starting with one pill every 4 hours before beginning the reduction process.

1 pill every 6 hours and 2 at bedtime
1 pill every 6 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 4 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 6 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 8 hours and 1 1/2 at bedtime
1/2 pill every 8 hours and 1 at bedtime
1 pill if you are really doing something active during the day and 1 at bedtime

It is usually better to wean off these meds over several weeks, not several days. But.....if you are still having pain, then your body is healing and you still need pain relief. And in this case, I would discuss your pain management with your GP instead of your surgeon.
 
I tried Melatonin the other night and it gave me a terrible headache. Last night, one 500 mg Tylenol and one 500 mg Tylenol PM helped me sleep & I didn't feel too groggy this morning. Tylenol PM makes me have weird dreams but they are better than tossing and turning all night.
 
@Laurenkate tylenol pm what a great idea...there is also a Tylenol body pain PM that includes a muscle relaxant...think I will have to try the PM. I am finding Tylenol 3 are keeping me awake as they have caffeine
 
@inkneed, I found your thread last night and am following it because your experience - with PT, CPM machine, feelings about meds, are similar to my own. My date of TKR surgery was August 15, so I am a bit behind you. I was curious as to what your daily activities are like now? Sleep any better? Pain level? PT scheduled/ attending? How is it going? Thanks, in advance, for your answers.
Wishing you all the best!
Kathy


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I’m currently 5 weeks post op. I had in home PT for the first two weeks after my surgery, and now I’m going twice a week to outpatient PT. My confession is that I’m not diligent about doing my exercises on my non PT days. My PT wants me doing exercises 3 times a day and I just can’t bring myself to do it. I prefer to sit, elevate and ice my knee. Is anyone else an exercise loser like me? And am I doing myself more harm than good?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom