Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trouble sleeping

[Bonesmart.org] Trouble sleeping
 
I used to do the pillow thing too! I found keeping my knees straight right after surgery was more painful than anything else, even walking. Yet the nurses kept yammering about “straight knees, straight knees!” :blackcloud:

Glad to hear you got a good round of sleep!
I heard the same thing, you shouldn't put a pillow under the knee, or it won't go straight!! Well, I did just what sistersinhim did, and it felt so much better. In fact, I've done it many times, and the knee is just fine.
 
That was one of the advantages of never being on the ortho floor this time around I guess. The nurses weren't used to knee replacement patients, so my husband showed them how to use the ice machine, and how to stack the pillows the BS way. They said they needed to hire my hubby since he did such a good job teaching them. :curtsey:Although I will say I wouldn't have stood for their telling me I couldn't have my knee on pillows! If I was feeling ornery enough and the nurse was rude to me, I'd have basically said bite me and then do it my way regardless! If not feeling ornery I'd just tell them it's my knee, tyvm! :rotfl:This time I was surprised when they had tons of pillows in both my rooms so the ones I brought were never taken out of my car. But I usually use my own pillows behind my head and the hospital pillows under my knee.
 
My surgery was Monday and today I have lots of pain behind my knee. This is new!
 
You'll have pain in different areas and at different levels, almost hourly sometimes, all through your recovery. Some days the pain will be less, other days it will be more, and eventually you'll notice one day that you haven't had any pain for days without realizing it. But your knee was just assaulted up by the TKR surgery, so it needs a lot of time to recover.
 
I know you can offer advice and it’s up to me whether I heed it or not. With that said, should I cancel treatments with the PT?
 
If it were me, (and it actually is me also) I would. If you really want to do PT, I'd at least wait until the swelling in your knee has gone down and you are walking better and feeling better. Doing PT now is more harmful than good IMHO. It's your knee and your decision, and no one can tell you you must go to PT or that you must stop PT, and that includes family members, PTs and your surgeon.
 
After canceling my pt session on Sunday, I’m in a much better frame of mind. My knee was sore and my entire body and mind were exhausted. I needed a break. Since arriving at the hospital on 7/23, it’s been go go go!
My family is concerned that I spend all my time in the bedroom, but it’s where I’m most comfortable. I’m allowing my body to rest as much as it needs to so if I’m sleeping a lot, so be it!! Surgery was 8 days ago!
 
Good decision! You have plenty of time for PT. When you are up to it, remember gentle PT is best for you and your knee! This is a long journey, patience will be your best friend along with ice! :sleep: REST and let your body heal.
 
I think I was Rip Van Winkle for the first month. I spent all my time in bed or a recliner, and most of that time dozing and resting. You made the right decision for yourself. You are the only one who should be making those decisions at this point: your knee, your body, your recovery. Sounds to me like you needed that break and were a smart cookie to make sure you took one!
 
Oh what a relief it is when they come out! No more pulling from all of those hateful things! Enjoy your less painful knee!
 
If nothing else, psychologically it's just great to have those staples out. For some reason, looking at them just gave me the willies because I was afraid they would tear out or something. Illogical but understandable when only getting a couple of hours of sleep at night.

There are going to be lots of aches, pain, weird feelings for some time....weeks, if not months. Rest when you can, do what you want to do and don't pay attention to family or friends who are worried about (insert whatever here). If they don't understand why you might be tired, etc., just suggest they look at one of the videos of the surgery. That usually shuts them down. They're well meaning but just don't understand.
 
I’m 2 weeks post op. I came home from the hospital on 7/25 and started in Home PT on the 26th. She has treated me everyday except 2 since I’ve been home. Her goal is to get me to 110° before her last visit on this Wednesday. I’m not that eager to reach her goal! I’ll get there in my own time. Right now, my main concern is that once I’m discharged from her services and I begin outpatient PT, I will no longer have people rearranging their lives around me. My husband works retail and has scheduled himself to work many nights so that he’s home when the PT comes and he can control the dog. My brother will also come by to restrain the dog. Once I’m home alone, I will have to fend for myself and I will!!
Anyway, back to PT. My PT would spend about an hour with me everyday. We would start with exercises while sitting in a kitchen chair and then move to the bedroom for a few exercises to be done while sitting in bed. She would end our visit by setting me up in the CPM machine for 2 hours! I was to repeat these routine twice more during the day! If you do the math, that’s about a 9 hour day of nothing else!!
Honestly, I did the exercises with her and one round of the CPM machine and I was done for the day! I was exhausted and just wanted to elevate my leg, strap on my ice machine, and stare at the tv until I acquired a few hours of sleep!
I know this does not line up at all with BoneSmart’s school of thought, but I felt I had to do the PT. My goals were different than those of my PT. My goals were to learn to walk with the walker and graduate to a cane, and maybe a few exercises. Honestly, I feel like she gets paid by the degrees her patients achieve! Also, I can’t achieve these degrees without her physically pushing me!
In a nutshell, 2 weeks down and back to work in 2-4 weeks!
 
My goals were different than those of my PT.
Did you tell your PT this? You are paying (hiring) her to do a job for you, you set the boundaries. Don’t let her force your knee to a number that suits her and not your knee.
Honestly, I did the exercises with her and one round of the CPM machine and I was done for the day! I was exhausted and just wanted to elevate my leg, strap on my ice machine, and stare at the tv until I acquired a few hours of sleep!
Of course you were exhausted, instead of doing all that for an hour you should have been doing what you just said you wanted: elevation, ice, and sleep. Yes you want to move around, but an hour’s worth at this point is a lot.
I know this does not line up at all with BoneSmart’s school of thought, but I felt I had to do the PT.
There are many differing opinions on approaches to recovery and each of us chooses the right one for us, no matter who is advising.

Best wishes as you figure out the best approach for you. :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited:
Hello all! I’m typing this from my hospital bed less than 24 hours aft my TKR. I’ve decided to name my new knee Kneenah!! I’m feeling great. My doc gave me a femur block so no need for heavy duty drugs just yet. Today I should be meeting with PT and getting some exercises in! Hopefully, that won’t be too painful. I’ll post more later!!
Best of luck to you
 
Hello all! I’m typing this from my hospital bed less than 24 hours aft my TKR. I’ve decided to name my new knee Kneenah!! I’m feeling great. My doc gave me a femur block so no need for heavy duty drugs just yet. Today I should be meeting with PT and getting some exercises in! Hopefully, that won’t be too painful. I’ll post more later!!
Best of luck to you

I named my new knee Kneenah also! Great minds think alike!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom