Guest viewing is limited

TKR Trinket’s Second Knee Replacement

Not too long of a wait now, trinket.
Thankfully surgery is still on schedule after the emergency root canal.
Sounds like you're ready to roll. Wishes for your comfort as you wait. :)
@trinket
 
Best Wishes tomorrow, trinket!
I hope to see you on the bright side soon. We'll be here to cheer you on as you're recovering.
Wishing you an uneventful surgery and perfect healing.
@trinket
 
My second knee replacement is done and I feel good. Surgery was uneventful. Check in, prep and some good drugs while they did the nerve block. Once I was on the surgical table I don’t remember anything until I woke up in recovery. I had a choice to go home yesterday or spend the night in their Care Suites. They are lovely rooms to settle in and spend the night to get my meds on point and relax. Why wouldn’t I do that? I had a very good night last night. Got home about an hour ago with very little pain. Thus far, I’ve had Aleve and Tylenol. No Oxycodone yet, but that’ll come as the nerve block wears off. As last time, the worst pain is where the tourniquet was placed.

Something interesting that is different than last time is that I don’t have to elevate very high. Either straight out or very slightly elevated with my leg straight.

Also pleased they are no longer using the dreaded leg pumps. They were awful, I don’t miss that.

Last time I started physical therapy three days after surgery. I think that was too soon. This time I’m waiting a week.

More to report as things progress.
 
Welcome to recovery, trinket! :)
It sounds like you're off to a good start. I hope pain remains manageable and you're able to rest easy.
Please do keep us posted, we'd love to follow your progress.
All the best to you!
@trinket
 
Alrighty, time to update my progress. I'm almost three weeks in from my LTKR. I wish I had kept a journal the first time around as I keep telling myself this replacement is much worse, but I don't think it really is. I have the usual pain and uncomfortableness as the first time around.

I sparingly used Oxycodone for about a week, alternating with Tylenol, Meloxicam twice a day with some Visteral thrown in for good measure. I'm now finding I am taking Tylenol every six hours, and my knee becomes quite painful if I do not. That brings me to the first issue that I have which is a very pukey stomach from all those drugs. My stomach feels awful all the time. I am eating crackers each time I take any of the pain meds in an attempt to ease my stomach. It doesn't really work, but I feel I can't put all that into an empty stomach. I don't have much of an appetite for anything healthy. I need to follow up with my GP because I can't keep this up.

I clearly recall that my first TKR I just couldn't wait to get up and around, drive and get back to the gym. My mental state was much better the first time around. These days all I want to do is lay around, nap, and do my exercises. I can't say that I have the blues or am depressed, but I definitely don't have the "get up and go" that I did first time around.

I suppose I want to sleep all day because I simply cannot sleep at night. I cat nap for a few minutes at a time and am restless unable to get comfortable at night. I can finally get myself on my side for a little bit and that feels good.

Tomorrow I'm going to go for a short drive to see how that feels. If it's OK I'm going to go to the gym for a few minutes on Monday and get on the NuStep. I did that in PT last week and the pumping motion felt really good.

Finally, an interesting side note is that my RTKR which is now almost a year old has gotten very tight. I imagine it's because it really isn't getting any exercise at all.

That's it for now. Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.
 
I'm almost three weeks in from my LTKR. I wish I had kept a journal the first time around as I keep telling myself this replacement is much worse, but I don't think it really is
Every knee recovery is different -- even two knees in the same person. So, yes, you might be having a harder time with this recovery.

the first issue that I have which is a very pukey stomach from all those drugs. My stomach feels awful all the time.
I had the same problem after my surgery. For me, it was worse than the pain so I spoke to my doctor about it and he prescribed a stomach protectant that helped a lot. Perhaps you can request something similar?

I suppose I want to sleep all day because I simply cannot sleep at night. I cat nap for a few minutes at a time and am restless unable to get comfortable at night.
Many of us struggle with sleep during the early weeks of recovery. The best approach to this is to sleep wherever and whenever you can! Your body needs sleep to recover.

As a second timer, you know you are very early days in this year long recovery. You also know that it does get better. It just takes time.

Sending hugs :console2:
 
Thank you for your update.

A few thoughts:

tightness returning in your right knee: YES I can relate to that. I believe for me it was the extra work my first knee was subjected to until my second knee was further along in its own progress. At 9 months/5 months post op, they are balancing out more.

Lack of sleep will definitely contribute to lack of energy!!!!
I was totally desperate from getting 2-3 hours of sleep. What finally worked for me was an herbal sleep tea that included valerian (both Traditional Medicinals and Celestial Seasonings sell boxes of tea bags; be sure its the version with valerian. An hour before trying to sleep I took a mug of tea along with a low dose sustained release melatonin. I slept over five hours that night, even longer the next!
 
I am eating crackers each time I take any of the pain meds in an attempt to ease my stomach. It doesn't really work, but I feel I can't put all that into an empty stomach. I don't have much of an appetite for anything healthy.
Try eating something with protein before taking your meds. Protein takes longer to digest and can protect your stomach longer. For about a month I existed on mixed nuts, protein drinks, and dark chocolate. I loved veggies and salads before my TKR and afterward, for that month, I couldn't stomach the thoughts of them. It took a while to get my appetite back, but I finally did. Try picking up some protein drinks to help you get through this slump.
 
Hello and Happy Sunday, trinket!
Something to consider if you're having trouble with your digestion, or nausea, is Bone Broth to sip on.
Possibly it would feel soothing and purportedly has many health benefits. Some of the more common ones that I've read are that it may help reduce inflammation and heal the gut. The Collagen strengthens connective tissues and joints. Its full of Vitamins, Minerals and Phytonutrients amongst other benefits. Consider reading up on it and see what you think. I drank homemade bone broth, thanks to my sister, I certainly wasn't up to making it, but it seems to have become more readily available these days.

I wish you comfort and all the best as you journey on through recovery!
@trinket
 
Thanks everyone for your excellent advice and good thoughts. I will take each piece of advice given above.

Today is a better day mentally. I have not taken any Tylenol for more than 24 hours and I feel much better. Every time I started to feel achy I moved positions, iced, took a walk or just waited to the pain to settle on its own. I think I was too quick to take the Tylenol. We’ll see. I’ll probably take some tonight.

I’m hoping to take a short drive tomorrow to the gym for 5-10 minutes on the NuStep.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, trinket!
I hope you continue to enjoy progress, have a great rest of the week and the happiest of holidays!
Please stay in touch.
@trinket
 
Thanks @Layla! I’m doing well. Still pretty achy and things feel tight, but my ROM is good at 98/0. I’m able make full rotations on the seated elliptical, am able to use the Pilates reformer, and am back to upper body strength training. No leg press yet, but doing a lot of quad stretching which feels great.

I do get tired out quickly, and am still elevating, icing and resting quite a bit. Also am still alternating Tylenol and Advil.
 
Oh, that tiredness can be debilitating. Taking naps was normal for me for about 3 months. Try to get your sleep anywhere and any time you can. Sleeping is what's important, not where or when. When you are asleep your body can concentrate more on healing that knee.
 
Thanks for the update, trinket!
It seems you're doing well at one month post op. I hope sleep begins to regulate for you soon and the aching dissipates. Wishing you a relaxing weekend!
@trinket
 
Oh, that tiredness can be debilitating. Taking naps was normal for me for about 3 months. Try to get your sleep anywhere and any time you can. Sleeping is what's important, not where or when. When you are asleep your body can concentrate more on healing that knee.
Yes, absolutely! I tend to have insomnia on a good day. I sleep when and where I can. I’m now done with the compression stockings so that helps some.
 
Good! I was blessed and didn't have to wear those uncomfortable things. Hopefully, now you will be able to sleep better.
 
Happy New Year everyone! I’m now eight weeks into my second TKR and things seem to be on track. I’ve been released from PT and saw my surgeon last week. My ROM is about 126/0 and my surgeon says that is more than enough ROM. He’s very pleased and I no longer have any restrictions.

I do have a tiny bit of pop in my knee. No pain, just a tiny pop. Surgeon believes that will resolve as my muscles get stronger and heal.

Both knees are still quite tight (the first one is one year old). I’ve come to terms that my older replacement may always be tight and I can live with that. I can do things that I haven’t done for 20 years painfree, so some tightness is a small price to pay for that.

The minor aches are getting better and I’m taking less Tylenol and Advil.

I still ice and elevate every day. The Lounge Doc has been a game changer. My first knee hated hated hated being iced, and this new knee loves being iced. Go figure.

I’ve shopped around for several pair of nice compression stockings (not the dreadful hospital teds) and I wear them most days. The compression feels good and helps the swelling. My swelling was much less with this new knee and I credit that with using the Lounge Doc and icing much more than the first time around.

I do need to do more walking. My stride feels very awkward, almost as if my knees don’t communicate with each other. Since I’d rather go to the gym and strength train rather than walk, I need to force myself to take some nice long walks.

I still don’t have much stamina and tire easily. I chalk that up to three major surgeries in 18 months. Now that structurally I’m all fixed I can work on that.

Thanks to all the help and support here at Bonesmart.
 
I can do things that I haven’t done for 20 years pain-free, so some tightness is a small price to pay for that.
I'd say that is a huge success story! Some of us always feel a little stiff/tight. I think it might have to do with the body adjusting to the implant. Maybe the implants are a tiny bit bigger than our original knee? Who knows? As long as we are improved then the little things don't really matter!
 
I can do things that I haven’t done for 20 years pain-free, so some tightness is a small price to pay for that.
I'd say that is a huge success story! Some of us always feel a little stiff/tight. I think it might have to do with the body adjusting to the implant. Maybe the implants are a tiny bit bigger than our original knee? Who knows? As long as we are improved then the little things don't really matter!
Completely agree!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom