PKR Travel after 6 weeks? Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit over 3 months out from a PKR--sleep like the dead from the minute my head hits the pillow, only up to pee, knee hasnt woke me up for weeks and weeks. I can sleep without a pillow between my knees. I have yet to go through an entire 24 hours without taking a couple of extra strength Tylenol, but that's due as much or more to my other aches and pains than to the operated knee.

I can walk a mile, do the elliptical for a half hour (even both on the same day) and then go to work. (Only problem is staying awake til midnight since I work evening shift). Really, the only issues I'm having with the pkr leg has to do with tendons and such protesting, probably because the leg is straight now. I havent iced at all for probably a couple of weeks and am going to put the polar care cube in mothballs until the other knee is done.

Since the horses' hoofs need trimmed, will see if I can master the trick of trapping the leg between the knees--something I've never been able to manage. If not, I'll put the hoof on my lap or the hoof-stand when I go out to rasp on the beasts shortly.
 
Thanks Jeano,

I'm jealous! Although Friday night I slept 4 hours before waking up. That is the longest stretch since my surgery on December 30th (8 weeks ago today). It was probably because I shoveled snow for almost an hour earlier in the day. Went to bed pretty exhausted. Looking forward to getting through the night completely.

I also take a couple extra strength Tylenol per day. Almost always before bedtime. I haven't attempted a mile walk yet but looking forward to trying once the snow melts (if ever)!

Thanks again for your reply. Sounds like we are a month apart so keep me posted.
 
Good for you, for taking that trip and doing so well! You just have to trust your gut sometimes. I've done the same, with reassurances from my doctor that I won't hurt anything, and if it's too much, then just don't try it again for awhile!

At 5 weeks I drove five hours (was the passenger, though) to our vacation home with my OS blessing. We took lots of stretching breaks and I did have a little more pain and swelling the next day, but it was worth it. I was away from the snow and ice, my cabin fever broke, and it was just good for my soul. It made me feel like life would be normal again someday!

Nothing ventures, nothing gained! You are doing SO well!
 
Thanks GG,

I think pushing the envelope a tad is not a bad thing. Probably helps with the mental aspect of healing more than anything.
 
The key is "a tad"--it's a lot of trial and error to find the right balance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom