TKR Train Wrecked My nerves are too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds as though you have several health problems that might be contributing to your tendency to fall that are not only related to your TKR

It sounds like you may have something similar to Meralgia paraesthetica - a condition that leads to numbness in the outer leg https://www.patient.co.uk/health/meralgia-paraesthetica-leaflet

I suffered something similar after injuring my back in a fall on rocks 20 years ago - however I have found that the warm water aqua training that I am doing for my knee has also had positive effects for my back

I hope you can find something similar
 
Sorry you are having such a bad time. Where in Kansas do you live? I am in the Kansas City area.

And I guess my biggest question is why do you stay in an area that is unfriendly and that cannot support your medical needs? Sorry to be blunt about this, but if you are in a very small town and have problems with the few medical personnel that are there and you cannot or don't want to drive the distance to other doctors, I can't see how anyone can help you.
 
Have no idea where the questionz by Jamie went, but really do we have to get into those details???? Leave it unsaid that I cannot leave where I am. It really irritates me when you and other people think it is so easy to just drop everything and MOVE... I have NO family (That means NO children, either.). There are a few people who call themselves my 'friends', but my pocket book is more their friend. Oh! And let's not forget all those people who PROMISED THEY'D BE THERE --- JUST CALL ME ANYTIME IF YOU NEED HELP... But they are NEVER THERE!! And it has been eons since I asked anyone for any help. I learned years ago if you can't get it done yourself you are a pretty pitiful individual. Shall we just clarify that I wanted more information on the surgeon and himself and procedure, not advice on how to leave the situation behind, because even if I move I will still be alone, and who is supposed to help me in a bigger city?? Could I call YOU for help?? But then again that holds no bearing to such a rude question.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
As for my progress: Had PT today such as it was... Initial evaluation shows I have extraordinary strength in both legs for my age (Bless my 123# dog!!!). The only thing that needs attention is the smallest quad near the kneecap and we did a few exercises today. I also took my evaluation of their Knee Replacement Assembly line to the head of the department. She was shocked at the amount of detail in the work, saying they had never had anyone do such extensive work. I have their approval to dress down the surgeon when I go back July 30th. So I intend to do so.
 
I'm certain you misunderstood the tone of Jamie's question. She is one of the kindest and most compassionate people on this site and offers some amazing, and sometimes very common sensical, advice. She asks good questions and has of most everyone on here who has a challenge. This site is full of support and help, but from reading through your thread, you seem/sound pretty defensive. Not all of us have been dealt the cards we wish, or have the friends we hoped for. I have recovered pretty much all on my own and being self employed, have had to work since day 12. I have been very self pitying over it and yes, at times, blamed others but what it comes down to is trying to make the best of your own situation. I am very sorry that you have had such challenges. Sometimes it's easy to be misunderstood and take things the wrong way. No one on here wants to make you feel any worse about your situation and only wants to clarify and/or help with things that you have written. I saw your very 1st post and have been putting off posting, but please don't call Jamie, or anyone else on here rude. All anyone is trying to do is help and understand the situation. It might be best if you just assume that everyone on here is trying to help and not attack, because that's pretty much how it is.... We've all been through very difficult times in our recovery. TKR is a hugely isolating surgery and the recovery is beyond hard, especially without the proper support team (family, friends, doctors, etc....). I speak from experience on this.... please try to interpret anything posted as a means of trying to shed some light on things and not as an attack.......... just my 2 cents.

BTW, the 'swinging your leg back and forth' is a way that some surgeons check the laxity of your knee replacement and make sure it's stable. Mine did the same thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Im sorry you are having such a difficult time. But in reality you are still very early in recovery. I dont believe you were given sufficient advice for a recovery like this. The first 6 weeks are crucial. However your ROM appears to be excellent. You are in a rural area and healthcare is hard to get. Like you said you get what you get. Its unfortunate. Im sorry the previous post upset you, but she really tries to help any and all. Also she extremely knowledgeable on other OS that can help you. I , like Josephine recovered primarily by myself but I had this forum from day one and would not allow anyone to bend my knee with force. My OS was excellant and in fact told me to slow it down. I was doing too much to soon. Try to be patient and avoid falls. Best of luck .Iceman
 
Sorry if my post upset you. We have a number of members who don't receive the care they need from their original surgeon. Normally the best bet is to get to a different doctor, which I understand might be difficult for you if you live in a small town. I would have liked to know how far away from a larger city you are. There are excellent hospitals associated with the University of Kansas or in the Kansas City area if that is anywhere near you. Wichita, Manhattan and Topeka are other possibilities. I would be happy to help you research surgeons that might be within driving distance if you like. You would need to give me your zip code or city to do that.
 
I will not respond to the previous messages for fear of becoming the aggravator. Look: I am who I am; I write what I think--the way I think it. By the way @DogLuver, he was not "swinging" my leg--even flinging doesn't sufficiently describe the violent action he was using. It doesn't matter right now about "Other Doctors". I am burned out. Yes I could get to Kansas City, but the whole point is that by running out of this situation, I have abandoned what I REALLY set out to do when I found out this guy was screwing me over (Is this a dirty phrase? I have no idea.). And that is to obtain change where it is needed. Yes my knee is done, it is still healing, but potential patients don't need to be treated in this manner. I believe what is good for one is good for all. I am no martyr, but I believe in fighting to get things right. And that's all, Folks...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @SageWidow I'm so sorry to read of your bad experience with your OS. He sounds completely oblivious to the pain of TKR, let alone the overall impact this has on our general well being. It comes as a big shock to the system I've found, physically and mentally. I can understand why you're so upset. This surgery is major surgery, it's not something anyone can get over in a short timescale. You are in a good, safe place on here and in all honestly and due respect Sage Widow, people are only concerned about your well being. No one would ever judge you. The questions may appear a little intrusive at times but when you get the whole picture, the relevance of such questions becomes clear.

We are all recovering at different rates and I completely agree that it is harder alone. I count my blessings that I'm not. However, I can totally relate to your observation regarding people who say call me after the surgery, anytime. Yeah, right. They vanish off the planet!!! I have so called friends I've known 30+ Years and not once have they come to my house in six months to see me. Yet when they had their hysterectomies years ago, I was the first there with flowers, card and help. You live and learn and it hurts at times. However, I have found this forum the best support tool for information, recovery advice and a bit of company too.

I wish you well and hope you make a good speedy recovery. I have to say you sound as though you have good range of movement. So good luck and take care. You are genuinely in good hands here. Just try to remember that no one on here is trying to judge you or find out your private business. They just care about trying to help and/or support you.

Nana moon 27 x
 
Thank you. I was pretty sure I was on the way of being kicked out of another chat site. I can write in what I consider a "sweet, vulnerable method" but that is not me. I just posted on my Facebook trying to get responses to see if anyone has every considered my writing, rude, crude, obnoxious, abrupt or offensive. I spent 18 years working with a company which required a person to be accurate, fast, and detailed without any frills or congeniality. On the internet I have also become aware of the fact that excess verbiage also uses space which I am not paying for, someone else is, so that has influenced me even more to reduce AMAP. I realize this leaves a lot to wish for and I apologize.

First let me explain: My body has always been pretty responsive to exercise, by that I mean once started and continued I found I could lift 50# (Legs or arms), within a couple of days instead of the gradual increments that was recommended by a trainer. (I don't know why.) I found out the other day that I am strong enough yet, to restrain my 123# dog from going after someone, which I feel is an accomplishment at my age... Anyway, it appears that I still have the residuals of that tendency. The PT Nurse of course complimented me on my leg strength, in spite of the surgery--she was amazed. After checking she found that I am a little weak in one small quad which is near the kneecap. I did a session yesterday of 4 exercises and I was surprised when I woke up this morning: my legs were not as swollen as they had been every morning before and I could walk better! I go back again Wednesday.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You might be surprised how many of us have been abused or hurt by our therapist and or OS.. They can be incredibly sneaky and end up setting you back like he did you . I would file a complaint on him. However these implants are pretty indestructible and doubt he damaged it. If you do see him again , try not to wring his neck !! But tell him not to force your knee at all. Are you still in pain and is it still popping or clicking ? We advice people here to properly elevate and ice excessively and often and medication if you need. So dont think this is a fluke, they often bend our knees beyond what should be done and set many a patient in tears and pain. Its very wrong. Have you read the articles that were sent to you by skigirl in post number 8. Alot of relevant info there. Best of luck to you , Iceman
 
I know many have been abused by people in the medical fields, and it is time to stand up to them. That is why I've already filed a multiple page complaint (Boy! That Patient Advocate was NOT happy to see that file!!) with the hospital. The problem is you never know who or what is going to come back to bite you in the hinter-quarters. These people have to realize that it is the patient who is paying ALL THEIR BILLS, including their education! I know that not every one will move to Montana... It seems like when I hear that a doctor has left he has "gone west, young man". If they do they will have to change fields and be a veterinarian.

Yes, still popping... Increased the amount of fluid intake per the articles from skigirl. Have gone through about /2 of the pages and working my way through the rest.

Have additional questions. Not long after surgery I came done with laryngitis and ended up in the ER. Not only that but my lymph glands under my arms were swollen. ER doctor was puzzled (so was M.D.) but continued with SOP & issued meds. They finally went down but thought would take forever...

I have recently regained my prescription of Hydrocodone after last visit to the Dimwit. But I have noticed for quite a few days now when talking I kind of act like a motorcycle starting when cold, it may object to the first few attempts then hangs up and tries again. I call it ("Almost Stuttering") but don't know what it is. Also tonight I notice a pain in the left back of my head near my eyeglass leg--also dnk (Def=Do Not Know) what is going on. I am going try to restrain from taking any further meds. NOTE: Have had the same symptoms with anti-depressants: Prozac; Zoloft; Effexor; Abilify. Am currently taking (and have for years) Cymbalta. Just looked up Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen and involuntary muscle movements is a side effect.....12:40 p.m.--Searching house for items to substitute for leg weights... Did not take Hydrocodone tonight
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Have a story to tell that might sit better with people...

Am looking forward to taking my dog on walks. Have had him since 6 mos. old (He is 4 years old now) and unable to take for walks. A guy I know comes over and takes him when the guy is not ill... I was wondering how my training during the limited time I could be out with him settled in his mind. But I didn't need to worry about that. When This guy comes over and takes my dog, for a walk I almost started crying I was so happy. Even without holding the leash in his hand my dog stayed right by his side, whichever side the man wanted, the dog checked to make sure periodically he was not ahead of the man and would reduce his pace if he had gone too fast. At all stops the guy made he automatically stopped--AND HE LET SOME KIDS PET HIM!!!! Whoop-dee-doo! When the guy gets back to my house all he does is say, "(Dog Name) door.", and points to the house. The dog immediately trots up to the door and I let him in. Never once strayed or stopped to check anything out. You still can't get in the house though, he has a problem with doors/doorbells/knocks and attacks the door. So no one except people he knows, can come to the door, and everyone else has to call in advance so I can put him out of human's way. Almost got me crying again... By the way, he is 1/2 American Bulldog and 1/2 English Mastiff. My Little Buddy! :)
 
Ah @SageWidow that's so good your dog training paid off like that. It's a bonus he's good with children especially when he's not used to them. I am very impressed what a good dog he is and what a good job you've done training him. That was a lovely post. You clearly love this dog and I think that's great, they're wonderful company. I really miss mine.

I do understand about your explanation about the previous writing style. I used to have to write in a management memo style a lot, when communicating with certain people or writing a formal report. Like yours, it had to be cold hard facts and no padding or extras!

I'm a bit concerned about this stuttering and pain in your head though. You could get some advice (only if you want to) off Josephine. You simply put a @ before her name and she will do her best. I would have said go visit your local doc but you've not got one right now have you? Is there no one at all you could perhaps go and see?

Have a nice day/evening and I wish you a good nights sleep

Nana moon 27
 
:puppysmooze:@Nana Moon 27 Funny you should make the last comment you did. I just posted on my Facebook page: "Can't sleep; knee hurts; pain in left temporal lobe; hungry; teeth hurt (????) can't take Hydrocodone so took 3 Tylenol. ***HI.. MY NAME IS GRUMPY....." :kickedout:

No doctor now. His former office flooded with only 1 M.D. and 2 P.A.'s. DNK if I could get in or not. At the ER last time they asked me: "What do you want us to do for you today?". Apparently since they all switched over (I think.) to taking only life or death situations. I don't feel comfortable going there taking up their time.

"Talked" to my sis-in-law east coast retired U.S.Navy as Lt. Cmdr (Nurse) now working civilian at same base, she said By all means file complaints!!

My husband knew someone who got into a Med Schl in the islands since she couldn't cut USA regs for it. When she came back she took the boards for it 3 times and passed by 1 point on 3rd try. I think she got a score somewhere in the upper 70's--that is at least a C+ (Unless you grade on the curve--which they don't). Now she is doing something entirely out of the medical field. Read somewhere where most potential doctors that pass boards only pass by minimal points. The next time you see your physician, look at him as a C+ student and see if your viewpoint changes.

Love my "puppy"! He is so good to me. When I am down on the floor and can't get up he will stand still so I can put my hand in the middle of his back for additional leverage and support. When I fell over him in the dark hallway, he got up and licked my cheeks until the pain went away and I could get up. He learned best not sleep there! LOL Thank you for your comment.:puppysmooze:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @SageWidow never, ever, feel like you are taking up their time. You are entitled to medical treatment under the Human Rights Act! I personally would develop a very tough skin and ignore that creeping feeling of time using. I do understand that. The first OS I saw was a total...well let's be polite....waste of space. He was so rude with a very supercilious attitude to boot! He sat with his arms folded (that's a no no straightaway), his legs wide open and I expected any moment for his belt to bust, covering me In shrapnel!! Now I do not take any rubbish off them.

When I was refused a TKR last year when I saw the second OS, who also told me I was too young. I was bone on bone, using two sticks and still trying to work the whole darn time! So I listened to what he had to say very calmly. When he came to the end of the refusal, I said to him "okay I hear what you are saying. Now I need you to sit and listen to me please!" His face was a picture! Then I said " Okay, can you tell me why you are discriminating against me on the grounds of age please? Secondly, I have two jobs so I need the quality of life now and thirdly why should I have to try and do the jobs on sticks?" He immediately replied that if I had the op done I'd have no money coming in. I glared at him and said frostily "I lecture and assess for a College, where I am employed. Therefore I get full sickness pay for the first six months, then half pay for the next 6 months if needs be". His jaw dropped and he said he'd be back in a few minutes, as he needed to speak to the main OS. Twenty minutes later he returned saying that the main OS had okayed it but before putting me on the list he told me I had to return for a six week review. What a joke? What was going to change in that timescale? Anyway I bit my tongue, gritted a thank you very much through my teeth and left.

Six weeks later when I went back I saw a woman. Thank goodness. She said she didn't understand the necessity of having the six week review and then I told her about the conversation six weeks previously. She said nothing but her expression changed as if to say I know what gone on here! It was patently obvious that because I had run rings round the os that they had delayed it by another six weeks! Over here it's all about money, money, money! The one thing that she did say was that I should have ben put on the list six weeks earlier. Speaks volumes doesn't it?

Anyway, I'll chat soon
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
I am not good at biting my tongue--although many have recommended removing my tongue as a preventative measure for future confrontations. I am tired of being run over and left for DOA pickup.

I screwed up. Forget all the bragging about improvement etc. was in such pain last night (Am avoiding generic Lortabs.) I took 3 Tylenol. Didn't get to sleep until after the birds woke up... Told myself should have just stayed up, cause I slept right though my PT apptmnt. Yes; the pain in my head is still there. Don't know about the stutter tendency yet.

Can anybody lend me a straight razor?...:headbang:
 
I would caution you about taking three Tylenol at once unless they are the lower 325mg dosage. The maximum dose you should take is 1000mg (2 Extra Strength Tylenol) every 4 hours with no more than 4000mg in any 24 hour period. Sorry you are hurting.
 
Sounds like you have the dog whisperer walking your dog. Dogs are amazing and it sounds like your dog is my kind of dog, as I love big dogs, bully breeds. The dog in my avatar was purchased for my granddaughter. Not a big dog ! Anyway im wondering if you are walking better now ? And perhaps you have other issues going on medically , with the headaches. Its tough being in a rural area. I always lived in the Bay Area. A ratrace. Theres probably 100 doctors with 15 miles from me. I got lucky with my OS, my primary and my dentist. I wouldnt trade them for nothing. So there are great healthcare providers out there. I agree with the previous post, do not exceed 4000 mg in 24 hours. Im hoping things turn for the good for your knee. Tramadol is a very effective drug, non narcotic and very well used here on bonesmart. It got me through, Coincidentally with tylenol and once daily celebrex. Got to go. Best of luck . Iceman
 
Thank you very much Jamie--Phone nurse had me change to Ibuprofen, and recommends being seen in 24 hours, because of the pain behind my left mastoid. Does someone have any experience with driving longer distances 3 months after surgery? That's what I would be doing if had to go oot (Def=Out of town. Using former job abbreviations.) I really find it hard to do in town right now, hate to go oot.

Thank you, @iceman. I really don't know if he is a "Dog Whisperer"--don't think so. When he first started coming over I had the dog shut in a room to protect people he wasn't used to. He decided that "Well I get along great with dogs, why don't you bring him out?" I said, "Are you nutz?!" He said, "No, I'm serious." I let the dog out and it is fortunate that I also have him trained to when I put my crutch in front of him he stops. Plus he knows "Leave-it" and the some of the rest of the commands. He almost had human for a snack. Over the months I have gotten him conditioned to 3 people besides myself... A dog trainer says that the dog should be conditioned to everyone, but I don't have time for all that they recommend (I saw 3 dog trainers.).:dogwalk:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom