TKR Trailspud Recovery thread

As I tend to go away for extended times, another post to start 2020; I’ve always been hopeful as years begin. Maybe my birthday has something to do with it. I enjoyed hearing from some old friends here and I will aways think of Sonja when I log into this forum.

I’m headed to the gym now. Every day w/good exercise in the first 5 days of 2020— first three I walked outside and hit the gym. I’m on Cipro for an infection so I have to be cautious about my connective tissues. I’m going easy to moderate for a few weeks, but will try to do something each and start that post-holidays diet.

Tomorrow, I start the first day of my final semester as a public school teacher. I remember @referee (or something like that) a few years back musing about his retirement as it approached. It’s been a great career and hoping to finish well.

Cheers, BoneSmarties. I’ll update periodically especially if my training goes well :).

Last edited:
It’s been a strange year. I retired officially in latter May, but schools had been closed since mid-March. Perfect mountain day today. Hiked about 20m w/4 summits and two of my daughters joined me for the last 1/3rd and a final summit.

Indian Paintbrush at 7,000+ on the Boise Ridge w/the Boise Basin and east mountains in the background.
68E542BD-252C-462F-B0ED-79ABDE5E0E91.jpeg
68E542BD-252C-462F-B0ED-79ABDE5E0E91.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful photos, glad to hear you are still hiking those beautiful mountains.
Thanks for the update.

Beautiful! You are enjoying those new knees of yours! That's why we go through this surgery.

I'm home this evening after having a poly exchange surgery on my right knee. Doing well, a little pain, but otherwise good. The knee bends well w/o effort, walking w/a walker or cane w/stair rails has been efficient. Looking forward to a relatively short recovery and rehab.

11+ years out, and the protocols and mitigations have expanded. I did two showers and an anti-bacterial sponge brush this morning before going in. Anti-bacterial nose swabs that continue for a week-plus.

I have a wound vacuum attached to the surgery site. My nephew in medical sales tells me it helps hold everything together by taking pressure off the sutures. It also activates the lymph system to clear fluids and suctions excess fluids away from the site (I have none so far). Portable calf pumps for DVT prevention like before. Tomorrow a rehab cycle device arrives at the house.

The RXs list is more expensive, but the opioid are more limited than in '12 and '13 (other knee). Of course, a different OS is part of that.

Cheers to all. Kind of miss this place.

Hopefully this is a tiny blip on what's evidently been quite happt trails for you!

@trailspud
Great to see you, sorry you needed a spacer exchange. From what others have posted, it should be easier than a full TKR.
How is your Conforms knee doing?

Hope you are back hiking this spring and summer.

Here is a copy of the recovery guidelines to refresh your memory.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thanks @Pumpkin and @mendogal. I think after a cautious recovery I'll be doing fine and better.

To answer one question, the Conformis (left) knee is fine. Like new. My right knee was pretty close, but I do get some swelling from certain activities that's my OS has long associated w/particle wear. X-rays last winter showed significant loss of joint space. But, it's been okay. I decided to do a little running this fall and even did one slow 7 mile run on paths I first ran in 1971. The right knee needed a few days to be comfortable to run again. It was just one or two slow runs per week. Walking, stationary cycling, and my SkiERG machine make up the bulk of my fitness stuff.

It took almost a month for my OS's office to track down the poly spacer part since my right implant is no longer in service. I'm glad I did this now because a full revision was likely in the near horizon (a year, two?).

I'll try to post recovery updates. For tonight, it's rest, ice, elevation, Rx, and gratitude.

Thanks for your check in. I've had three surgeries on one knee and yes, like in your case there were noticeable changes and also I was a lot better about recovery. Didn't have the wound vac but was in a straight leg brace for two weeks to make sure the sutures didn't pull out (first timers, this is I think because they remove previous wound edges which are scar and have a harder time closing the wound). Not bending my leg or doing PT for the first two weeks was not in any way a problem. Leg acquired > 90 by week four (two weeks after being out of the brace). My third surgery was what's called a DAIR (debridement antibiotics and implant retention), which was a power washing of the infected knee joint with the polyethylene exchanged). The recovery is on par with total knee replacement. I'm sure you will recover smoothly.

At about 24 hours after surgery now. Very little pain. I started the ROM machine this morning (OS ordered). Passive motion for 10 mts. at a gentle level of flexion followed by 2 mts. of super low resistance. So far, so good. Nap time.

Hi trailspud :wave:
Best Wishes for an easy and speedy recovery. Stay in touch so we can follow your progress and cheer you on along the way. A great week to you! :)
@trailspud

I'm about 60 hours out from the poly exchange surgery. All is well. I have a ROM cycle that I've done a few times. It's not really needed. Very little swelling or pain. No bone cutting involved in the surgery. I have done a short 15+ mt. session both days after surgery day on my SkiERG in the seated position just for a little exercise. A few light dumbbells on the bench, but mostly just resting, icing, and watching football.

It sounds like your recovery is coming along nicely!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bob5677
Recent bookmarks