TKR Total Left Knee Replacement

18 weeks post op today. I don’t post too much around here but I do occasionally hop on to see how everyone is doing. I can honestly say I never thought I’d get to where I am. At 15 weeks post op I participated in my first 5k post op. I may have finished almost last but I did it. Surprisingly, I wasn’t all that sore after. I iced and elevated as soon as I got home and I took it easy for the rest of the weekend. I was hoping it was going to be the beginning of more walking and more 5ks, but I have decided that until the weather warms up I am going to hold off on getting the longer walks in for now. I also want to get some new shoes and I plan on going to a local running store to get fitted properly.

Knee still feels stiff and foreign and I do still have some pain, which is like sore muscles. I’m hoping that continues to dissipate and that my ROM improves. I have no idea where I’m at, but it feels like it’s getting better. I did try to go for a bike ride around the block and I still need to find the perfect position for my seat as I can’t get a good rotation where it is. I’m also hoping that as I can ride more often the seat can be lowered back down.
 
Also, I mentioned this in my last post, the itching is insane. It’s not the incision that itches it’s the skin all around my knee, thigh and shin. It’s so irritated and bumpy. I don’t know what to try putting on it. I’ve done all kinds of lotions, vitamin E, skin so soft. Nothing is giving me relief. Maybe I should try a hydrocortisone cream? I’m not putting anything on the incision.

Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving
@flacie1 - Did you ever find a solution Or relief to the itching and bumpy skin? I am three weeks post op with both knees and the itching is about to drive me nuts. I have tried ice, hydrocortisone cream, regular lotion.
 
@Ready2HikeAgain i never did find relief with any topicals or lotions. I just had to “grin and bear it”. It eventually went away. I would say try vitamin E and remember not to get anything on the incision if it isn’t completely healed. Every now and then I still get insane itchy spells. I found a lot of relief with gentle massage too. Hope you can get relief soon
 
@Ready2HikeAgain i never did find relief with any topicals or lotions. I just had to “grin and bear it”. It eventually went away. I would say try vitamin E and remember not to get anything on the incision if it isn’t completely healed. Every now and then I still get insane itchy spells. I found a lot of relief with gentle massage too. Hope you can get relief soon

@flacie1 I too have itching and find that if the creams don’t help I will take a cold damp cloth and lay it over my knee. It helps a bit.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom