• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Total Left Knee Replacement

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Full rotations & moving the seat closer definitely is a win! :friends:

For me, over the months (past 3 months) was that I just did things that required me to bend the knee in my daily activities and it seemed to get easier and easier. I gradually realized I must have gained a couple of degrees without even "trying."

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
I was able to get full rotations on the bike and PT had me scoot the seat a little closer, so there is a win.
This is good progress! Forget about numbers and look at things you can do that you couldn’t a week or so ago.

I still had plenty of aching pain and swelling at 10-11 weeks. In fact I still had it for months! This is how it goes for many of us.

I took Tylenol for quite a while. I took 1000 mg every 6 hours, 4 times a day, which means I took a dose during the night, so it stayed steady in my system. I found this helped reduce that achy feeling. I was able to take that dose as I wasn’t taking any other medication that had Tylenol in it. (Always check other medications and stay within the safe daily limit of 4000. Some bottles say 3000 is the safe daily limit, but that is just in case you are taking any other medication with it in it.)

OP
OP
flacie1

flacie1

Country
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I feel like a big whiner and Debbie downer at times. I do remind myself of the things that I can do that I hadn’t been able to do a few days ago. Just the times when the swelling and tightness come on I start to doubt my recovery. For instance I just tried to do my heel slides and they didn’t go very well. I am intentional when I go up and down the stairs. Up is easy, down on the other hand not so easy. While at work I get up often and walk around the shop. I usually try to find something I can either stretch on or step up on. I had the guys set up the fork lift so I could step up and down on it. That helps throughout the day. And then I ice at my desk. I try to make sure I’m walking straight and heel to toe strides.

I’m so thankful for Bonesmart and all the wonderful people here who dispense such good advice. You guys are keeping me sane right now.

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Forget the heel slides, you are doing plenty of other things to give your knee mobility. You are doing great in this very long and tedious recovery!

sondrals

senior
Country
@flacie1 i think I take the cake for being a Debbie downer :heehee: You’re fine and we all have our moments. That’s why we’re here right? We all need support, some of us more than others.

Helizabug

senior
Country
@flacie1 Sharing the downs with us is part of the therapy. We get it. We have the capacity for it. And you help us with it, in return. It’s good to hear good stuff, like full rotations on the bike, but if that’s all we heard, some of us would feel like we were failing because we can’t always look at the bright side and we can’t always progress like everyone else seems to.

Country
Yep. Ups and downs are part of it. My Monday PT saw a fall off in an area I'd done better in 72 hours prior. Annoying but I was particularly tired that day. So I only beat myself for a while once I thought it out. We're hear for you.

OP
OP
flacie1

flacie1

Country
PT today was tougher than I expected. The bike was not as much fun as Monday. Was much harder, with help I was able to get to 105. Still struggle to get to 95 on my own. And now I feel tight. I iced as soon as I got to work, and now I have a raging headache. I should probably go home but I’m hoping to take next Monday off so I should stay here for now. Only 4 more hours to go...

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
You are more tight than before because they pushed you more than 10 degrees more than your knee is ready for.
I am intentional when I go up and down the stairs. Up is easy, down on the other hand not so easy. While at work I get up often and walk around the shop. I usually try to find something I can either stretch on or step up on. I had the guys set up the fork lift so I could step up and down on it. That helps throughout the day. And then I ice at my desk. I try to make sure I’m walking straight and heel to toe strides.
All this is what I call “natural” PT. You are doing plenty to help your knee. If it was me I would stop going to formal PT. Your knee does not need “help” bending, for the sake of a number.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
WaterLily
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom