Guest viewing is limited

Total hip replacement activity level and dislocation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think everyone has to find a balance between caution and living life. I'm so sorry @bonnied999 that your hip dislocated - it must feel like you're right back at the beginning again.
 
@bonnied999 I hope you heal quickly and with positive outlook, feel you will be back to your new self once again! I like you am wondering at just 4 weeks about the shaving thing, AND lotioning, as winter progresses, my legs get dry, I will have to bite my inner independence self and ASK hubby to lotion legs, I guess could be fun. Some things we just want to do ourselves, right?
 
Hello Josephine,

Is hip resurfacing so frowned upon in the UK as well? Reading these posts about dislocation with standard hip replacement makes me wonder why surgeons are so against doing it. Dislocations rates are so low with hip resurfacing. I guess the metal on metal just poses a greater risk. Just curious. Thanks for all the good information you always provide.

Larry
 
It seems to me this thread, which is @bonnied999's recovery thread, has been totally derailed by us all!
I see she was on the forum on Friday but never posted so I do hope we haven't put her off.

Some posts have been moved from here into Postalgal's left hip recovery thread.
 
@FraidyCat I just posted about my dislocation and then saw yours. I'm so sorry that you went through this and I know exactly how you feel. I did the same thing, reached to my toes with foot on ledge, and leg turned in.
I was at 10 weeks and woefully uneducated about the precautions, but that aside, I can see I was wanting to be back to normal, just like you.
I have fear of another dislocation but I don't have any facts to share yet.
Precautions for life? I honestly don't think so, but if that's the case, it is what it is. I have an appt with a respected surgeon (my original one assigned by hospital was not) So I will report back on what he says.
What else can I say? It's horrible but I believe there is hope.
 
OMG! I shaved my legs as soon as restrictions were lifted. I put my foot up on the edge of our bathtub to shave. It was so exciting I even posted about it on facebook. @bonnied999 I'm so sorry this happened to you. I so hope you got the answered you needed. I want to thank you so much for sharing your experience. I now know I should go furry for a while. Thank goodness its winter.
 
Thank you everyone. I just read everyone's posts and so appreciate them they really help. I'm so happy to have found the forum. Still in the brace for another 3 weeks. I see the original surgeon for follow up on December 19. Any advice about what to ask? Thank you!!


Sent from my iPhone
 
@FraidyCat I just posted about my dislocation and then saw yours. I'm so sorry that you went through this and I know exactly how you feel. I did the same thing, reached to my toes with foot on ledge, and leg turned in.
I was at 10 weeks and woefully uneducated about the precautions, but that aside, I can see I was wanting to be back to normal, just like you.
I have fear of another dislocation but I don't have any facts to share yet.
Precautions for life? I honestly don't think so, but if that's the case, it is what it is. I have an appt with a respected surgeon (my original one assigned by hospital was not) So I will report back on what he says.
What else can I say? It's horrible but I believe there is hope.

The lack of information post dislocation was not good. I didn't get an appointment until 3 weeks after and it took three calls to ask what was i supposed to do in the meantime. The forum and Josephine have been very helpful. Let me know what the surgeon says.
 
Revision surgeons are different. While they will often do primary knee and hip replacements, they also have a higher level of expertise that is needed when there are problems after surgery. They've seen a bunch of these cases (you want to check how many revision surgeries they do each year) and they can often see things that your original surgeon misses. They can do an evaluation of your situation with no invasive procedures.


I wouldn't tell him. There is no need to and you really want a totally independent opinion. The option for additional opinions is yours and you should never feel guilty about seeking as many opinions as you need to feel comfortable about these decisions. I have never known of insurance not to cover additional opinions, but if you're concerned contact your insurance provider and ask.


It depends on the type of insurance you have. Are you in an HMO? That does make things a bit more difficult and you may need to travel to a different city to find someone not connected to your current surgeon. But this is important and it is worth a little extra effort, if necessary, to get to a good revision surgeon.


Posts in your thread run sequentially by the date and time they are posted. This is why we have the "quote" functions available. If you're responding to a post that is at the end of a string, you may not need to quote the portion of the post you are addressing. But using the "quote" feature really helps when you are responding to a post that's way up the line. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. But do take a look at our "How To" forum that Jo linked for you. You'll find lots of things there to make your participation here easier and more fun.

Thank you for the information! I am on a HMO. My surgeon is very respected and has done many many hip replacements. But I can't imagine I can't at least get another assessment from someone else will ask company. When I do see my original surgeon I want to verify that I will have this 90 degree rule for the rest of my life which I would find life changing and depressing. And I will ask how he can actually tell that a revision would not help. I did here if you have one with the additional cup support it shortens the life of the hip significantly? Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Oh now clipping toe nails. Living alone. I guess going to get a pedicure. Learning about limitations. I hope 90 degrees isn't for life.
 
Thank you for the information in this post. I have acquired a habit where I semi-recline while relaxing with my knees up - in that very position demonstrated in the picture. I am going to stop this right now! Your expertise and experience is so appreciated @Josephine (in every thread!) many, many thanks.
 
@bonnied999 - looks like we might need to go the waxing route and have pedicures (never appealed in the past! As well as being pricey, I'd rather tend to my own feet - but needs must?)
 
Oh now clipping toe nails. Living alone.

This is also an obsession of mine. I've talked with both the in-home PT and the surgeon's assistant about this and they both had suggestions--might be worth asking about a visit with a PT or OT for help with "living with precautions" if you haven't already done so. The in-home PT who has come to visit for the past few weeks has been invaluable in helping me think through and practice safe movements for doing daily tasks.
 
Great, @gertie, I'm glad you're getting such practical assistance. The OT's input in my hospital extended to explaining how to put on my knickers (bad leg first!). That's it. When an OT came to the home she suggested I sit on a cushion. That's it.
 
@bonnied999 - looks like we might need to go the waxing route and have pedicures (never appealed in the past! As well as being pricey, I'd rather tend to my own feet - but needs must?)

Nice to know @sunnygirl that there are others who have to think about these things. I had help with my THR afterwards. But on my own with the dislocate. So thing keep coming up. Like oh I have to figure out how to do this and this.
 
This is also an obsession of mine. I've talked with both the in-home PT and the surgeon's assistant about this and they both had suggestions--might be worth asking about a visit with a PT or OT for help with "living with precautions" if you haven't already done so. The in-home PT who has come to visit for the past few weeks has been invaluable in helping me think through and practice safe movements for doing daily tasks.

Thanks. @gertie They won't let me do PT yet after the dislocate. 3 more weeks. I had thought the an OT would be more helpful. I got some advice too after the THR. But not much about the long term prognosis except the strict precautions are needed for "life". But I am going to push this. They even said I could bike but only if my knee doesn't raise above 90. So no biking or spinning
Forever? I don't know any way to cycle without more than 90. Anyway. Working to get more information. Not OK. THANK you for the input.
 
@bonnied999, after my 1st hip replacement I was introduced to pedicures. I've been getting them ever since. One thing I would suggest is to look for a place that does it the old fashioned way. To get into those new chairs with the basins attached is difficult and when they have you raise your leg up to the ledge, it compromises that 90 degree caution. I have found places that still place a basin on the floor and work with me after I explain my worries. And a big plus is they're cheaper too.

And what about using a recumbent bike? Would that keep the hip at more than a 90 degree angle? It's not spinning, but if you enjoy biking, perhaps that would be an option?
 
Yes, @gertie, minimal attention. Just as well I'm relatively sensible! @bonnied999, so much uncertainty for you at the moment, but time out to heal and rest sounds exactly right. @chatterz, will look out for old-fashioned methods in the foot department, thanks for the tip.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom