THR torment's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah @torment, overdoing it is quite easy to do I'm finding, but then, if I take the next day very easy, I recover quickly. My wound is also sometimes sensitive, and I keep worrying about it - all looks amazingly good though, and I think it is just as you say, healing process. Went to work yesterday (for an hour, ha) and all went well, so am back today (4 weeks, yes!). Nice to do normal stuff. I have been so lazy my muscles are pathetic.

Glad your household is moving again - take it easy!!
 
A bit of a setback I think. I must have done more harm over the weekend than I thought because my hip is still acting up. Many sore muscles around the area and more disconcerting is some sharper pains which feel like they are in the hip joint. Quite achy with some bouts of mild groin pain mixed in as well. I'm hoping this is just a healing phase or maybe a slight and short term reaction to the internal stitches dissolving or something. I'd say this week it feels about like it did at the end of the 1st week. I'm going to give it through this next weekend and if there isn't any improvement I may schedule an appointment with my OS to get it checked out.
 
@torment sending good thoughts to you and your wife. Back issues are difficult with no direct answer. I have had serious L5 unstable disc issues for a year. Had PT, back injections, and finally told to get my hip done to hopefully help the back as well. The injections helped to the point of my right leg especially the knee does not feel like it is going to give way and I don't have the drop foot anymore. But it is very easy to bring on the back pain. So it has been a catch 22 trying to balance hip PT and not aggravate the back. Wishing your wife the best. Friday is my three week mark for the hip. Don't set yourself back by going too much too soon. Take care.
 
Over Thursday and Friday the hip improved enough to again be liveable. It was still not as good as it was before last weekend but it was much improved. Today we had to go shopping for mother's day so we went shopping at a large antique and crafts market. I spent about an hour and a half wandering around in there and then went to the butcher to get some steaks for tomorrow night then came home. I took a cane with me but I made an effort to avoid using it so I essentially just carried it around.

I feel like a truck ran me over. My hip is upset, but not terrible yet. The rest of my body is quite mad at me though. It's amazing how such a short outing can be so exhausting. I guess that's just par for the course when still healing up and so much inactivity. That being said, I'm far better off right now after that outing than my hip would have been before surgery.
 
Yep, I know it may not seem that you did a lot of activity, but for 1 month out of surgery you did. No worries, though.....be sure and take it easy the next couple of days and you'll be fine again. We all push the envelope now and then to see how things work. When you're not ready for a particular activity (or length of time on your feet), your good ol' body will let you know it!
 
I stopped taking any pain meds last Saturday and just dealt with the body aches from the walking. I made the rounds to my In-laws and my parent's house on Sunday without major issues. I'm still really sore and stiff all over and the muscles in the thigh of my operated leg really seem to be displeased, but it's all tolerable without meds. I honestly think right now the one part of me that hurts the least is my hip :loll:

I'm at just over 5 weeks post op now. I'm no longer using any walking aids anywhere. I'm off the aspirin regimine as of this past Tuesday, and off the pain meds as of last Saturday. It's kinda nice to be able to tolerate living with no meds. Once the body aches and such work themselves out I might just call this a success.

Since coming off the pain meds sleeping has been difficult. I've found it much more difficult to sleep on my back, as I did before surgery. I've found I am now able to lay on either side without problems (yep, even the operated side) as long as I have pillows between my legs so I've begun resorting to that here and there to actually get to sleep.

Due to scheduling issues my next follow up with the OS is on June 1st at almost 8 weeks post op. I expect to be removed from all restrictions at that time. While in the first 4 weeks I could feel the hip move in and out of socket at times, I haven't noticed it in about a week. At all times I can still feel that something isn't quite right about my operated hip, it's just a minor "feeling" or ache here and there and not a severe ache or sharp pain. I'm assuming that slightly odd feeling will go away as things continue to heal up and strengthen.

So far so good, assuming the rest of my body gets with the program and stops hurting!
 
Saw the OS yesterday. He released me from all restrictions and cleared me to start driving again. All is going well with the recovery. I'm able to walk as much as I desire though I still pay for it with some aches and pains. They go away pretty fast once I get to chill for a bit. The OS endorsed my plan to start riding my bike again so I'll start getting my bike back in shape next week.

I'm far better off at this point than I was before surgery. I would have balked at going into a grocery store to get 1 item before surgery. On Saturday my wife and I spent 1.5 hours walking around the store grocery shopping and the hip was the least painful part of me! I find myself saying the typical, "Why did I wait so long to do this?"

This week is my 11th wedding anniversary and my wife has to go to a work related conference out of town, so we're pawning the kids off on our parents and I'm going with her. The hotel the conference is in has a gym and a pool so I'll probably spend the time she's in the conference working out my legs.
 
Your recovery i so great @torment . Long may it continue . Have a good weekend!
 
I'm so happy for you @torment! You sound really happy yourself, and moving back to normal and better. Many congratulations on your anniversary (medals all round) and also on all your new-found freedoms.
:wave:

The bike is great to get back on to! I was a tad nervous first time, but it went really well and now I am using it all the time for work and shopping etc. I know you said you can't do that round where you live - so don't strain yourself piling the bike onto the car or whatever - but have fun with the wind in that magnificent hair!
 
@torment sounds like you have everything worked out with the hotel gym. Just read through your thread. My surgery was Apr 27th and I'm hoping by next week I won't need the cane! Just need to strengthen some muscles that are a bit loosey-goosey.
Happy Anniversary! Congrats! :cheers2:
 
Well here I am at 4 months post-op. Everything was going great until about a week ago. My right (operated) groin began annoying me late last week and has progressively gotten worse. I don't know why. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary which would have aggravated it but over the course of this week it has deteriorated to the point it now hurts more on a consistent basis than my hip did before the THR. It doesn't hurt anywhere near as bad as my old hip did in flashes, but the steady pain level now is higher than pre-op. I'm limping again which really sucks. It has me concerned to say they least. I've made an appointment with the OS Monday so maybe we can see what's going on. I'm just hoping whatever it is doesn't turn into another session under the knife.
 
torment, sincerest condolences, and hoping that this is no more than a speed bump in the road of your recovery. Of course we're all pulling for you, so please keep us updated.
 
Hi @torment , I'm so sorry for you. I hope the pain isn't caused by the hip implant but by something else.
I like the avatar photo. Do you play that guitar?
Best wishes - hugs - Constane
 
Hi @torment
Sorry to hear your news just when you were getting on with life! I hope Monday's appointment gives you some simple answers.

At 5 months post op I fell down 2 steps, broke bone and ligaments just as I was getting on with life. Life is not fair!

Let us know how you go.
 
I'm sorry to see you had a setback.
There is a big time gap in the posts; did the groin pain come on all of a sudden or were there any indications before it happened ?
I'm glad to see a guitar player on the forum; looks like a bass.
I play guitar and banjo as a hobby.
 
It's a fretless bass. I used to play in a metal band up until 2009.

Anyway, there wasn't really much warning. It was mildly bugging me late last week but nothing out of the ordinary. It really flared up after going down the basement stairs and getting in my wife's car. I didn't feel anything go wrong going down the stairs but it was bugging me in the car and by the time our shopping trip was over it was downright aching. Since then the pain has been more along the lines of feeling like I need to pop the joint but there doesn't seem to be a movement that really relieves it. It comes and goes, like today it's not bad at all. It's there, but it's a lot better than yesterday. I'm hoping it's just a healing phase or something, but it is enough to cause me concern. When it's really acting up my hip feels unstable. I can't tell if that is because of the implant or simply nerves trying to compensate due to the pain.
 
Hi @torment just catching up with your recovery, sorry that groin pain started. It seems a lot of that type if pain starts up for what ever reason, maybe you just jolted it without realising going down the steps or even getting in the car slightly awkwardly. @donor had it too, but I gave forgotten what is was called. She had an injection there.

Fingers crossed you get your answer on monday.
 
Monday will be 7 weeks post Op for me
I had wt bearing restrictions so been using 2 crutches till this week
Been walking on 1 hoping to go to a cane next
In PT tried to do straight leg raises
I can barely do 5 reps and barely clear 7" off he table
I tried doing on my own at home with a 2 wt and got in trouble with groin pain
It is very painful and slow to go away
I have not experienced any joint anomalies but I haven't really done a whole lot
Take care
@torment
 
The OS said he thinks it's just a muscle pull or some soft tissue got pinched. The x-rays looked fine to him. He sent me to get blood drawn so they can make sure there isn't any indication of infection. My hip has been much better the last few days so I'm chalking it up to the roller coaster recovery process. I won't hear back about the blood tests unless there is something found.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom