THR Toohip 'made it' RTHR recovery side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@toohip I agree and meant that in a fun way. I assume my hip is healing at close to the same rate as most of you but the darn leg holds me back for now. I can only do what I can do safely and have to be patient or I risk a setback that I really don't want. I sure felt my non-op foot this morning with a arthritis flare going on! It certainly works hard while the other one is on extended holiday!
 
Hi All, I had my 6 week postop appointment today and everything went really well. Doc said doing good and all restrictions have been lifted. He wants me to start working on being able to cross my operated leg (to look like a number 4). I could do it with the unoperated leg, but lost that range of motion with the operated one. Actually lost that ROM years and years ago from arthritis, i guess. He says I should be able to do it with the artificial hip now, just got to work on those muscle groups with PT. I really want to be able to do that and also sit 'indian style'. I can also ride a bicycle without any pain, YAY!! did about 10 min (no tension) with no problems. Might go biking this weekend. I've been walking about 1/2 to 1 mile a day. I have another followup in 6 more weeks.

So all is good here! I want to thank everyone for their words of encouragement and good advice you sent my way in the past 6 weeks and during my pre-op jitters as well, they've been really helpful in getting me through this life-changing journey!! I still get pangs of "what ifs"; but the doc said I shouldn't think that way, just live! I guess over time i'll kind of forget that I even have this contraption in me...man, I hope so!! All the best...
 
Great report!!! Keep the good news coming! We love to hear success....
 
@toohip, love the report! I can't sit Indian style or do number 4, either. Hope I can one day. I guess that will come with ROM. Congrats!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@toohip Congrats on your great report and loss of restrictions. Great work on the bike, I have just started outside biking and it sure was fun to be somewhere else other than pedaling in the dining room. Enjoy your new freedom and weekend
 
Hi All - Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!
 
@toohip I'm a week ahead of you and working on my ROM as well. I've gotten as far as being able to put the bottoms of my feet together. I have missed sitting Indian style for some time and it's one of my top goals.
 
@toohip look forward to an Oct or Nov update. You really sound to be doing well though. I need to work on those 'number 4' stretches myself. I was not ever particularly flexible. You mentioned working on steps, with everything you are doing already it is just a matter of time before you are flying up them as you like
 
Hi @grnplatebrd and all my fellow hippies - I know I've been amiss about keeping up my recovery journal. I have my 2nd follow up OS appt next week and if all goes well (which most likely will) he will sign off my 'back to work' form and I start back 11/10 (i'm ready, but like the free time at home...being incredibly lazy, lol but am getting house and person stuff done is a great feeling)...I would say I am feeling GREAT! I find little accomplishments/achievements on weekly basis. I've been walking daily, probably about a mile a day. I still have PT 3x a week, i go today in fact. And have been increasing my PT activities weekly. I am stationary biking, which feels great. I definitely have more energy now, which is so good!! Tonight, having a friend over for dinner and then to Halloween party at local bar (the DJ is also my friend). I will probably cut my PT down to 2x a week, once i'm back to work, we'll see. I am able to bend lower to tie my shoes, but still need to contort my body to get socks on. But I am finding it comfortable to sit on my low couch and get up from it without having to outstretch my leg...so definite improvements. I make an effort to put my weight on my operated leg, just to give it a workout, lol. I love walking now, LOL!!!! sounds crazy, but true!!! I actually don't care where I park and don't mind food shopping, lol!!! Going up stairs is still a little tough on the muscles, but i'm working on that. I have a step in my home on the main level, so i always am practicing and make it a point to use the operated leg first to go up the steps. My PT has been massaging and foam rolling my IT band, adductor and abductor muscles...I recommend it!!! feels great and has loosened up my leg quite a bit, especially by the incision/scar area. I've eaten a load of candy already today...this is why i buy candy on Halloween and not before, it would all be gone, lol...snickers are my kryptonite!!! Please let me know If any of you want a list of my PT exercises. Hubby is even talking about skiing this winter, HUH?? well, maybe cross country, we'll see!!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!
 
@toohip new hip means new life. I suggest join a gym, get a trainer. We're both new yorker and I will gladly guide you. Nysc is great and worth the money. There are several pilates studio where you can get the workout in. I would suggest yoga. It will keep you fresh and energized. New hip is a new beginning. Stay top of your game when it comes to health.
 
Thanks @Was_86 - I belong to LA Fitness and also have access to a personal trainer (haven't used him since pre-op, cause i'm in PT now). PT has also been extremely helpful. It will take a while, but I will build up those muscles that have atrophied over the years due to range of motion issues. I push myself (don't know if thats good or bad, lol), but even when I was in pain, I worked out and had a tendency to over do it. My OS and PT said it will take a bit till everything is back to where it should be with my body, so i need to give it time. I am glad you're doing so well...it's a miracle that the artificial hip has come such a long way and that young people are now able to have that operation.
 
@toohip you will get there. PT sessions are very challenging to begin with. Every week it seems it gets more challenging. Your legs will probably be stronger than prior to surgery. During my research phase I have spoken to couple of OS and I agree. Hip and knee replacement has come a long way. The fact that younger generations are challenging their body so much with their lifestyle. More young patients are having replacement. Torn ACL for example. I have met so met so many people my age even younger needing surgery because of pressure one is putting.

I am 28 and at first was absolutely against my surgery. I even gave my DR serious attitude when he suggested I have surgery. He said let me turn your hip inward and email me tomorrow you experience pain. Holy ****, pain, woke up next morning. I barely could walk. Made another appointment with him and a different surgeon. One was young and cocky. He said it's nothing in a month you will be fine. He wasn't a people person. More like the NP answering all my question. Went back to my original surgeon. I spoke about my quality of life. I need to do everything what I am doing. He just smiled and said that's why I am here. Don't regret anything. In 3 months I can do anything. My sister was so upset at first she wouldn't talked to me. Her neighbor was in her 60s and had a replacement. She figured I would be ending up with a walker for a month, lol. Females? Sometimes they define logic. Anyway new hip means enjoy life. Make the best out of everything.
 
Hi All - Started back at work this week and boy, am i pooped already AND its only Tuesday. The walking and leg length is fine...i do have like a stabbing pain in my butt cheek almost towards my hip area, i think it might be from sitting too long or maybe the office chair i'm using. The stabbing pain is not there all the time, it comes and goes. I'm going to bring in a pillow and see if that helps. My range of motion is getting better everyday. I am just sooo tired though, mostly by the end of the day. I've been walking a lot and still doing PT (2x/week) and going to the gym about 2x a week. I go back to OS around Feb. Hope everyone is doing well!!
 
Toohip.....Now that you're back to work, that can suffice as your "therapy." Believe me, you get plenty of exercise getting ready for work, getting there and back and doing the job. You don't need to add physical therapy and definitely not the gym. Add the gym when you're about 6 months or so out. it may take a while for your stamina to return and you're not doing yourself any favors by trying to push yourself now that you're back at the job. You're still healing and rest (as much as you can get it) is critical.
 
Well done at being back at work... I am so with @Jamie, getting ready for, getting home from and actually doing a day's work is plenty of exercise. You probably monitored how much you were doing during your 'official' recovery phase, if you were to pay the same attention to how many steps you're taking a day, or how many times you're getting up and down at work you'd see that your activity level is easily what it was while you were at home. The getting tired thing is part of the process too, so it's important to factor it in and not get OVERtired - your body needs to be rested to repair
Enjoy getting back to "the real world":alarm: Craftdee xx
 
Hi All - Well, I could be incredibly crazy or a bit euphoric over the 'new' hip...but, i'm going into Manhattan tomorrow night to a concert!!! Yikes, i've lived in NY (really Long Island) my whole life and never been to Manhattan on NY's Eve...just think massive crowds (i don't like massive crowds, but I like NYC, crazy, huh?)...well anyways, we're going in to see an 80's new wave duo (Erasure)...I just bought a pre-parking pass for a garage (last time i did this, i got sorta burned, but hey, for less than $20 i'll try again, LOL)...I won't have to walk too far from the garage to venue...but just nervous about all the traffic, cold, etc. I'll let you know how it goes!! otherwise, i feel great, been walking, standing, shopping, cooking, etc!!! Happy and HEALTHY New Year to All and be safe!! PS I won't be wearing heals...but will wear a cute dress with boots!!
 
@toohip Hope you have a great time! I agree - don't like crowds and cold. Do take care and let us know how it goes. Happy New Year!
 
You do.what makes you feel good. I have been in.Edinburgh or as I.call.it Edindooooodahs many times on.31st. Now its not for me. Concerrt sounds a fantabadooby idea. Ok have a grand new year and as they say here long may your lumb reek

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom