Guest viewing is limited

Too young?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:wave:Fellow PA resident! Have you decided on a date for your surgery yet? I would think that as long as the OS will evaluate the knee once he's inside then you may get a useful PKR. From the people that I have read about on this forum most need to get a TKR in a few years.
 
advised that he feels I would greatly benefit from a partial knee replacement.He said he feels that should take me through my lifetime.
That's what I like - the eternal optimist!
I was happy to hear he feels the partial is somewhat easier
Our experience here is quite the opposite. The recovery when compared to a TKR is almost exactly the same!
I'm concerned that my OA will continue to deteriorate the knee
A greatly justified concern in my opinion.
Yes, my surgeon is extremely skilled and experienced surgeon. He's rated one of the top replacement surgeons in the Country (USA).
Is he indeed! It always intrigues me to hear almost everyone saying this!
He said I will go into surgery anticipating a PKR, but could possibly come out with a TKR. But most people need to move on to a TKR.
That's honest of him and two things in his favour. And not small ones at that!
He also did advise that there is a possibility that the partial only lasts 10 years.
Again, I think that's pretty optimistic. I've spoken to a number of surgeons at conferences (all nationalities) who used to do partials but have given up doing them because of the high conversion rate.

As it happens, I've been keeping a log of members here who have had to have conversion and my tally is now 34. It was started in 2011 so that averages about nearly 6 per year which is quite a lot for a forum like this.
 
Am I crazy or does it seem like BS friends don't think I should get the PKR and just do the TKR???
 
Going by the info received from other members who have had PKR who had to have to have a TKR afterwards plus Josephine's 50+ years experience as an orthopedics nurse I think the answer is a TKR is the best way to go.
 
I know of three people here at home who had PKRs. Two have needed revisions. One just had the PKR last year. The third is fine so far. Celle's partial lasted eleven years. This recovery is time consuming (12 weeks off work for me) and requires large amounts of patience. So if you have the partial be prepared to do it again at some point. My dad had a TKR at age 67, he is 84 and the knee is fine. It's a game of roulette for sure. I just don't think all docs realize what TKR recovery involves.
 
Am I crazy or does it seem like BS friends don't think I should get the PKR and just do the TKR???
I can't advise you what to do. All I can do is offer my own experience.

I was very happy with my PKR. It gave me back the active life that I wanted, after 9 years of becoming progressively more incapacitated by osteoarthritis. I traveled the world with that PKR and did everything I wanted to.

However, I did not like the way it failed and I certainly did not like having to have a revision.

When I was told that my other knee needed replacing, I was offered a PKR again, but I chose to go straight to a TKR.
Best wishes in making your decision. We'll be here to support you, whatever you decide. :friends:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom