Guest viewing is limited

Too young?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a victim of the "you're too young" philosophy. My right knee started hurting badly on my 50th birthday.
My surgeon told me he wanted to ease me along until I reached 60. I didn't know I had any alternative, so i waited for 9 long, painful years, during which time I became progressively less and less mobile and my life became smaller.
My knee deteriorated further and my tendons and ligaments distorted during those 9 years. Consequently, I had a more difficult recovery than I could have had.

I firmly believe that people who are told they are too young for a joint replacement need to find another surgeon, one who will look at the condition of their knee before he/she looks at their age.
 
Hello @OUCH! and @LoveGiants Thank you both for the great responses!

@OUCH! Good luck with the THR. I've had two good experiences with those! Don't rush recovery, but stay positive and know everyday is better than the day before. i hope you have a recovery thread so I can follow you! You'll be in my thoughts!

@LoveGiants I'm hoping you have a recovery thread that I can follow! Your husband said the same thing my husband said about the technology advances in our future. Good luck and I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

This site is a great place for all of us to look at and realize we are not alone! It helped me so much during both of my THRs. I kept track of my recovery and asked questions if necessary!
 
@Celle thank you for the response. My mother did the same thing you did in as waiting too long. Her experience with Bilateral TKR was a bad one because she waited too long. Unfortunately she can't stop telling me "I waited too long and the pain from the TKR was so bad, that I'll never do it again". That certainly doesn't help me with my thinking...which is frustrating!

Thankfully my OS is awesome and I trust him thoroughly.
 
My pain was well controlled, but it took much longer than it might have for my tendons and ligaments to lengthen again and become less distorted.
 
I'm 39 and I've had "bad enough" knees to qualify for BTKR since I was 19. I have been able to wait 20 years, but I think this year will be my LTKR. I have bone on bone across all surfaces and there is no cartilage left. I too am afraid that if I wait until I'm "old enough" there will be nothing left. Already had a TTT at 16 and it's failing. Hope to have my right knee done early next year and have functioning knees for the first time in my life! I wish you luck with your knees and recovery!!!

Jen
 
@ACDCJen Thank you for the response! Hopefully you have a surgery date soon and can start moving towards those functioning knees. Let me know when you get it scheduled, so I can follow your recovery. :)
 
@ilovefall, although many people are not helped by Synvisc, I was able to buy myself about two years before I needed the TKR's. The first round in each of my knees brought me quite a bit of relief for about a year. The second round...about six months. The third round didn't do much of anything, and that's when I knew it was time. I hope they give you enough relief that you can recover completely from your hip replacements and you can get your kids off to college and not have to worry about them on a daily basis. Be sure to check back in with us and let us know how you're doing! Also, use this time to read everything here and really educate yourself about the whole TKR process. Knowledge is power, and I think you'll find it's not as bad as you you've heard!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart[emoji768]
 
@ilovefall - One of the pre-op nurses said I was the youngest knee replacement patient. He then added, "that's great! Because you'll have your life to used them!" Yep! That's the point! I can't wait to get on my bike and ride my way to a century (my goal!).

Thanks so much and yes, I do have a thread on the recovery side.

@ACDCJen - rock on! Sorry, couldn't resist :). I hope your recovery adventure goes well. I've had bad knees my whole life and know how hard that is.
 
I'm worried that having a TKR in my late 40's or early 50's will leave me facing a revision later in life
Unlikely. Provided you select a really good knee surgeon, there is no reason to doubt that this knee will last you the rest of your life! I know of members and ex-patients who had their original knee implants inserted in 1980 and they are still walking around, doing exactly what they want to, nearly 40 years later! Considering the advances in metallurgy, joint implant design and manufacture and surgical skill since then, there is every good reason to expect this to happen to you. Have a look here Stories of amazing knee recoveries
(I've heard they are very difficult)
Revisions due to things like loosening or wear are no worse than the primary surgery. It's revisions for infection that are the nightmare.
 
45 and having a LTKR on the 15th. I completely understand your hesitation, but like many others said, quality of life matters! And by the time you and I need a revision, hopefully there will be even better options (procedures, hardware, etc..).
 
Ok doubts doubts! I've been in Orlando at universal with my family since last Wed and I have had no pain in the knee - a bit of discomfort and some swelling??!!! Do I still go through with this very big surgery a week from today!!!???? Ughhhhhhh


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
What do your x-rays or scans show? Whatever they show, they won't improve. Sometimes the knees feel OK for a while, but it doesn't usually last. I'd say go ahead but you are the only one who can decide when you are ready. I'm at the point where I'm in so much pain that I have no question about it. Good luck.
 
Are you off all meds? My OS required me to be off all pain meds 2 weeks before surgery. Ohhhh, the pain!
 
I had the same doubts before surgery. One week I was on crutches, the next the knee was behaving and not hurting. The OS said the bones were wearing away. I thought the knee can only get worse in time better fix it now before it deteriorates more or something happens with my health. I am glad I did.
 
Thanks for the advice- leaving Orlando for home today- knee is still behaving/ I'm off all anti inflammatories since Sunday/ my X-rays show a valgus knee with bone on bone damage- ugh- guess that's not going away - is this really happening in 5 days!!!!!????


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
Yes, 5 days. How in the world am I going to get everything done that needs doing before then. Clean house, do laundry, go to the store, library to take back DVDs, get my stuff for the hospital packed, do the yard. Can't start out behind in all the chores. I can only be on my feet for short periods of time so that makes it harder.

Will be thinking of my surgery buddies on the 15th.

Best wishes to everyone for a complication free and quick recovery.
 
The x-rays don't lie even though your knee is trying to trick you. I'm glad I got mine done when I did.

I did the same thing that @FlaGranny is doing—errands, cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping. I only had six days to prepare, so I was busy. So worth it!!

Good luck to you both!! I'll be watching for you on the other side.

You got this!
 
Thank you! I have to get repeat bloodwork to see if the anemia is resolved- fingers crossed- I'll keep you posted


Mercedes Z - RTKR Aug 15th
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom