Guest viewing is limited

To be continued....

Status
Not open for further replies.
HHH, I dont think you should feel bad about posting what happened to you. Yes it was good, but don't feel guilty for what you have been through. I have been exhaustedly reading as many accounts of surgery and recovery experiences. Some are great and some are tougher. It all adds up to a balanced picture being painted about what is to come. I will most certainly hope and pray for a good experience, but I certainly won't be blind-sighted if something goes off the tracks. You are a reporter, telling of your experience. I hope people that have had it tough wouldn't feel resentful. We are all in this together, good or bad, we will help each other get through this. Some will need more help and encouragement and others will not. Take care hiphip
 
Aww, thank you, Designergirl. I appreciate it, and you made some valid points. Between all of us, we do present a balanced picture. Six more days and we'll be hearing your great post-op story, too!
 
No, I get these grandiose ideas in my head and forget that we are all different. I had to give it time. I think I panicked a little. I will be leaving the rehab hospital tomorrow and going home. I'm eager to get home. I need some rest! I had to take the chain off my brain. The other night it dawned on me that I'd had the surgery. The hard part was over and I was still had "arthritis mentality." So, I got up yesterday with a new attitude. Now I'm going home upright, on crutches with no pain. I'm walking! It's a miracle what one can do with the proper mindset. I have only 3 words of wisdom: Get it done. I have absolutely no regrets. Sure, I've got some work to do but that will be the easy part.
 
inimeg68, You have come a long way in a short period of time and it sounds like you are doing great!! Your mental attitude is so important. If you think you're gonna have a bad day, you do. Same with healing if you know it's going to get better, it will. I have to get both of my hips replaced also so I have been reading your posts and I am in awe of you and what all you have gone through. I am going to have mine replaced in two separate surgeries so a little different but we will have the same outcome in the end. Keep us posted as to how your recovery continues.
 
WOAH hiphiphorray!

You must not feel sorry for posting your recovery story on here, no matter how things are going for you. Whatever made you feel like that? Everyone's recovery is different and you are an interesting, funny inspiration. Why would anyone be offended by anything you have 'written' here? I have loved reading your posts. In fact I miss your posts. In fact where've you been? You seem to have dropped off the radar over the past week.

Hippo?.......Hippo?.........Where arrrrrrrrrrrrre yoooooooouuu?

Xxxxxxxxxx
 
Three cheers for Inimeg and the new attitude! That's more than half the battle. It's so true that you're DONE with the hardest part and now, every day, you're one step closer to getting better. Meanwhile, the absence of bone-on-bone pain is just wonderful!

Hi again, Queenie. I just crossed-posted in another forum...I returned to work this week and have made sleeping into an art form, so it didn't leave me with very much time for anything else. I missed my hip buddies, and am glad to hear that everyone is doing well. Did you enjoy your Friday night dancing?
 
Mixing our posts again.........do you think we'll get into trouble?!

I went to a convent school and was a very good student. I was terrified of the nuns and scared stiff of my parents. I never got into trouble in or out of school. I didn't rebel until I moved away to Bristol where the blinkers were well and truly ripped off! I would say that I've always been a good upstanding citizen but I think every now and again, possibly because of my strict upbringing that I can't resist being a bit naughty. :angel:

Yes last Friday was fantabulous, and here we are again only this time we're 'cutched up' in the lounge with a roaring fire because its absolutely freezing in Old Blighty at the moment. I love the changes of season we experience here. This weather is great walking weather, so I'll hopefully be going for a nice long walk over the weekend. Yay.

Keep up the good work Mrs.

Lotsa lurve

Queenie xxx
 
* moved to Bristol when I was 23. I blossomed late in the rebellious stakes! Xxx
 
Set a timer around 30 minutes before you are suppose to take them... and take them on time! It is very important to stay ahead of the pain. No sense in waiting until you hurt to take them! I did it too and suffered needlessly.. Saying a little prayer, and hope your feel better soon! :console2:
 
I think all the excitement of the surgery, anesthegia, rehab, post surgery coming home and more rehab has caught up with me. I am so tired.
 
[Bonesmart.org] To be continued....
Of course, you're tired. And you body has been assaulted and has tons of healing to do. So follow the mantra: lots of rest while elevating and icing and sleeping as much as possible and doing as little as possible. GO TO BED!!!! You can post some more tomorrow!


Take care----we care. [Bonesmart.org] To be continued....
 
I went to outpatient rehabilitation today. I've got to work hard to get myself up to par but overall I feel very well. I have noticed numbness/burning/pain in my left leg/thigh. Truth be told, it's pretty painful when my animals decide that they must take a dive on my lap. I almost feel stupid for complaining about it. After all if I had to choose, I'd pick this over arthritis pain any day of the week. I'll be a patient patient, express my concerns to the surgeon and my PCP and move on. This procedure has been one of the most painless procedures for me that I've decided that I do not want to devote any more negative time to it than I have to. It is not interfering with my recovery so I'm going to keep moving. I'm ready to get rid of these crutches but not yet.
 
Good for you, Inimeg! I haven't worked up to outpatient rehab yet.

As for the animals, sigh, they do it from love and instinct. My 100-lb, dog jumps up on the bed, surveys his position, and then wumps his big ol' butt down next to mine as he lies down. Then, there's a painful moment of jockeying for position as we butt-wrestle, and eventually he settles down. But, it's all about the LOVE! They don't understand the pain it causes, bless them.

Yes to this over arthritis pain -- any day!!

Crutches, sigh. I bet you're far more graceful than I am -- I kept tripping over my crutches. 'Was planning to bequeath them to someone who's having ankle surgery next week, but there's a part of me that wants to toss them over the Golden Gate bridge. Shall I? :heehee:

Keep up the good stuff! You remain my hero!

HHH
 
Hi Hiphiphooray,

I was going to hunt you down just to see how things are going with you. I'm learning a lot about myself through this process. I want it right now. I guess it's time to grow up and show a little restraint. Sounds like you are coming along very well and I'm so glad for you. I developed a lot of bad habits dealing with the arthritis. Of course I've got muscle weakness but on top of that I completely have to learn how to walk upright and properly. All my rehabilitation takes place lying flat on my back because my hip flexor muscles are shortened from walking bent over for quite a few years. It's working but I run for the ice the moment I get home. I got no complaints, no pain from arthritis or surgery, just lots of work to do. I'm pain free!!! Isn't it wonderful? I am sticking around to encourage others who may be a little hesitant about the surgery.
 
Hi Hiphiphooray,

I was going to hunt you down just to see how things are going with you. I'm learning a lot about myself through this process. I want it right now. I guess it's time to grow up and show a little restraint. Sounds like you are coming along very well and I'm so glad for you. I developed a lot of bad habits dealing with the arthritis. Of course I've got muscle weakness but on top of that I completely have to learn how to walk upright and properly. All my rehabilitation takes place lying flat on my back because my hip flexor muscles are shortened from walking bent over for quite a few years. It's working but I run for the ice the moment I get home. I got no complaints, no pain from arthritis or surgery, just lots of work to do. I'm pain free!!! Isn't it wonderful? I am sticking around to encourage others who may be a little hesitant about the surgery.
I am right there with ya on the learning how to walk. I walked with a severe limp for most of my young adult life.. I would say for at least 12 years or so! Believe me, it gets easier as the time passes.
 
I'm glad you're sticking around to encourage the pre-ops, Inimeg. I remember telling myself that if that cute little doggy (I always envision you as your avatar) can have BOTH hips replaced, surely I can endure a single THR. Yes, I agree that the rehab is nothing, compared to the pre-op pain. At a minimum, you know that the pain is recovery pain, not "doing more damage" pain. For example, my hamstrings are a little sore today, but it's a good muscular soreness from activity. Bully for you! You remain my hero.

HHH
 
inimeg68

Hope things are continuing to improve for you!

It's amazing how the new hip works a charm, but the muscles can sure take their time getting up with the play.

I knew I walked tipped over with a bit of a swing (stiff flexors and no extension).. But I didn't realize how bad until lately..

At 7 weeks I'm still using a cane, but I'm straighter than I have been in years. I still have to think about it pretty much every step or I find myself falling into old patterns. I'm coming to understand just how many adaptations and compensations I was making before the op. Now that the pain is gone, the challenge is learning how to use this joint properly!

Onward and upward!!

Cheers!
 
Yes, it can take an age to get rid of all those old long-learned habits. But it will come.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom