Guest viewing is limited

To be continued....

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Bonesmart.org] To be continued....
to the "other side" the second time around and to the wonderful world of recovery! You're wise to go to acute rehab--a little help is just the ticket to get you off to a good start. Follow the BoneSmart mantra and all will be well.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] To be continued....
 
Yay, it's over with the surgeries, let the recovering begin. You are my inspiration as I soon go down the same path you just completed. I'm not having my surgeries as close together as you did but we will both end up with two new hips in the end. Take care and post more when you feel up to it. I am so happy for you.
 
Yay, Inimeg! You are so brave, and you're an inspiration to all of us. You're wise to go into Acute Rehab and get the help that you need at this early stage. It will make a big difference in your recovery. 'Time to lay back, relax as much as possible, and catch up on some TV watching and reading, or just snoozing. Sweet dreams to you, and I'll be checking up on you, soon.
 
This is the 1st day after the 2nd surgery. Although there's no bed for me at Acute Rehab, the insurance company is ready to throw me out today. I put my shoes and orthotics on and walked much better today. Yeah, I covered up my flat feet. If I got to go home I'll manage some way. But, NO ARTHRITIS PAIN AT ALL! A little soreness at the surgery site but that is all. Get the surgery; you will not regret it. I do have a concern. I had a blood transfusion after surgery, I had a blood transfusion overnight and I am about to get another one. Can anybody jump in on this?
 
I'm not a medical person inimeg - but I would think that they would not discharge you immediately after a blood transfusion. And I'm concerned that the insurance company wants you discharged just one day after a hip replacement! I was in the hospital for 4 days following my bilateral. My OS said I might need a transfusion during surgery - but apparently he decided I did not need it then. I did get one afterwards as my blood pressure was low and I kept getting dizzy when I stood up. I only had the one unit of blood but it did help a lot. It's not at all unusual to need a transfusion during or right after major surgery. Not sure why you need 3 units but that decision would be up to your OS. I'm going to tag Josephine and Jaycey for you - I bet they know a lot more about this than I do.
 
What great news to see that you are up and posting after the second surgery. And you said the pain isn't bad either, :happydance: Do you feel dizzy or weak? Maybe that's why you have to get another transfusion? You may need to talk with your doctor to see what's going on so you understand. Your body has gone through a lot these past few days you need to really do only when you feel like it and rest when you can so you don't beat yourself down. Stay ahead of the game so you don't get over tired. Take care, it's great that your recovery is going so good.
 
Inimeg, I hope that the insurance company does not throw you out, and I agree with djklaugh that I've never heard of them doing so immediately after a blood transfusion. I did some quick web research and the general consensus seems to be that the need for a transfusion (or multiple ones) is highly individualized. Did your doctor say why you needed three? Was it because of your two surgeries? I would want to know the rationale behind the third one, and the expected benefits. Hang in there!
 
I would think that they would not discharge you immediately after a blood transfusion.
It's not the transfusion that matters, it's the person's general condition. After a couple of hours, if s/he is feeling better, there's no reason they cannot be discharged.
 
Inimeg, I forgot to ask...did your insurance get it sorted out so that you can stay in rehab? I'm not being nosey. If you're being sent home with no one to look after you this soon following BTHR, I want to try and find some way to help. I so wish that I had family or friends in the Pittsburgh area!
 
Inimeg hello,
I'm so happy that you've been over with your surgeries.
You are a very brave woman with 2 ops 2 days apart.
What was the comment of your surgeon? Was everything ok, fixed?
I wish you with all my heart a smooth recovery. I am slightly worried how you are going to handle alone in the first couple of days alone at home? Isnt there any body who can assist you around?
You are the star of Valentines!
Keep well.
Selin
 
No worries, I'm at rehab right now. An ambulance dropped me off a couple of hours ago. Thanks for the concern; I've been concerned as well. I'm up and about on a walker but not stable at all. This was the best place for me. I'm swollen from the hips down but I'll take this over arthritis pain any day of the week! I'm playing catch up to you now.
 
Thanks a lot inimeg.

Just beware that your blood level (hemoglobin) and or your blood pressure may be on the low end and you may feel dizzy when you get up. Thus just be careful about it, always look ahead and not down to your foot. -)
 
'Glad to know you're doing well, Inimeg, and that you're in rehab. The swelling is natural and it does subside. I still remember looking down in the shower two days after surgery and thinking that someone had replaced the lower half of my body with an elephant. Queenie still calls me "Hippo" from that experience. :snork: 10 days later, and I'm just about back to normal size.

I know you're happy to be rid of the arthritis pain. 'Can't imagine having it in both hips at once. Good for you, and enjoy!
 
inimeg----NO
[Bonesmart.org] To be continued....
! It's a
[Bonesmart.org] To be continued....
. You need to follow the BoneSmart mantra to the letter, and let your body heal at it's own pace. Happy to hear you did get into inpatient rehab. Take advantage of being able to concentrate just on YOU.


Take very good care of yourself and those two new hips and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] To be continued....
 
The admittance to hospital rehabilitation was a wise move. After the surgeries were complete, I thought I'd be up and running. I'm up, just not running. I panicked. I read of the great progress of the Bonesmart Family and I immediately believed that something is amiss. I put my pride and independence on the back burner and decided to think logically.
It dawned on me that 1 week ago I had both of my hips replaced. I'm like Wonder Woman up in here! Let them tell it, very few even consider doing what I did. I have no pain except for the pain that is coming from the exercising. It hurts because I spent the better part of the last 8 years walking in a semi bent over position. Among other things, arthritis robbed me of my posture. My hip flexor muscles are so short that it will take me a while to stand upright. I couldn't take a full step on a stairway. In order to maneuver the stairs I twisted my body and used my toes instead of my whole foot. I wanted relief so badly that I almost forgot what I did to myself just to function on a daily basis. Coming here, having the professionals point all this out to me was eye opening. It will be painful to undo what I've done to myself but the hard part is over. Thursday I'm going home. Therapy will be on an outpatient basis. It's not going to happen overnight; I get it now. I'm not going to be so hard on myself and I'll take it day by day.
 
Inimeg, it's worth repeating that you are my hero! I am so happy to hear that you realize what a big thing you've undertaken, getting both hips done at once, and I hope that you have some inkling of how brave you are. I don't know for sure, but I think the recovery must be exponentially more challenging when both hips are involved. I'm doing A LOT of things on the unoperated leg, these days.

I understand about contorting your body, just to be able to function. I have to relearn how to stand, now that my legs are of equal length. Before, I would stand with most of my weight on the shorter leg while bending and turning the longer leg.

You're right -- it's not about the rate of progress. It's about the end result. We should have an online party a year from now, with you as the guest of honour (spelled with a "u" for Queenie's benefit).

Cheers and Bravo!

HHH
 
Good for you! It sounds like you have an excellent attitude. One thing you can be sure of is that every week will be steadily better than the one before. Instead of getting slowly worse as you were before surgery, you have turned it around and you are going in the right direction. Congratulations to you!
 
One more thing... this is really bothering me. When my own recovery went really well and surprised me, I posted my progress reports to inspire those who were about to have surgery and make them feel less afraid. I was rather thoughtless about how the posts might impact other post-op folks from a comparative standpoint. Please forgive me if I caused you any angst (and anyone else who might have read them and felt the same way). I am SO sorry, and it wasn't my intention at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom