Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR TKR1022's Revision - February 2026

Feeling good about rehab!! 3.5 weeks post surgery and i am excited to report that I was able to do 8 mins of full rotation on the bike today. First time!!!!
 
That's wonderful! You are doing very well. Be sure to give yourself a little break tomorrow to give the knee a chance to recover from that workout. Slow and steady wins this race.
:flwrysmile:
 
That is a wonderful report. But be careful, that baby knee doesn't want to get upset about anything. You need to make certain to elevate and ice so you don't get too much swelling.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, TKR1022!
Glad you're feeling good about PT and the progress you're making. Woohoo! :yay:
Keep up the great work and enjoy the weekend.
@TKR1022
 
And so it goes! 36 days post surgery.

All was going very well, but h wee we are; So much for my perfect recovery.

I’m in the ER now getting checked out for a quad injury. Got up to pee last night and on the way back from the bathroom and I felt, heard something happen to my quad and had extreme pain. Now I am unable to lift my operative leg up without acute pain. The quad muscle is not engaging at all. I can stand, walk, bend the knee so hoping that will work in my favor. ER Dr is pretty confident that I have torn or ruptured my quad and put me in an immobilizer. Follow-up with surgeon on Tuesday and in the meantime rest, ice, elevate. Sadly PT will be negatively impacted for the knee. I am crushed but will stay positive after I have a good cry.
 
Oh no, I'm so sorry to read this!

Please don't assume the worst. It could be something less severe. I will share something that happened to me two weeks after my hip surgery, since it might give you a bit of hope: I lost my balance -- as I started to fall I could feel and hear a popping/tearing sound in my quad. The pain was awful, but it turned out to be muscle strain that resolved after a few weeks.

Follow the rest, ice, elevate protocol and hope for the best. We'll be sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.

Let us know what the surgeon says when you see him.
 
Oh my….I’m so sorry. Deb is right. Don’t assume the worst. Muscle strains can be incredibly painful. But please stay on the safe side and really baby your leg until you know for sure what happened.
 
Oh no, I am praying that it's nothing serious and that it will resolve itself quickly. Please continue to let us know how you are doing.
 
So very sorry to read the news, TKR1022 :console2:
I hope you're resting easily after slowing down, icing, elevating…and having a good cry, which is understandable given the pain and uncertainty.
Wishing you lots of comfort and some good news at your appointment with the OS on Tuesday. Please keep us posted. We're here for you!
@TKR1022
 
And so it goes! 36 days post surgery.

All was going very well, but h wee we are; So much for my perfect recovery.

I’m in the ER now getting checked out for a quad injury. Got up to pee last night and on the way back from the bathroom and I felt, heard something happen to my quad and had extreme pain. Now I am unable to lift my operative leg up without acute pain. The quad muscle is not engaging at all. I can stand, walk, bend the knee so hoping that will work in my favor. ER Dr is pretty confident that I have torn or ruptured my quad and put me in an immobilizer. Follow-up with surgeon on Tuesday and in the meantime rest, ice, elevate. Sadly PT will be negatively impacted for the knee. I am crushed but will stay positive after I have a good cry.
So, it turns out that I do have a partial tendon tear and am now in a knee brace/immobilizer until 4/3 follow-up. So unfortunately no knee Pt for awhile which is so disappointing. But it looks like I won’t need surgery which is good news.
Any suggestions for sleeping will be appreciated.
 
@TKR1022 … Guidance for sleeping issues depends on what is causing you problems. Do you have trouble going to sleep or staying asleep? Is pain a problem and, if so, what and where is the pain? Are you having restless legs or other movement keeping you awake? Are you feeling anxious? We’d need more details about your sleep problems to help.
 
40 days post TKR (revision) and almost a week since the quad tear (diagnosed 2 days ago, happened a week ago).
I was having quite a bit of sleep problems due to nerves refiring on the scar line and normal post to TKR pain, plus having restless leg syndrome flare up. My RLS gets more active when I am overtired or if my legs are restrained (like sleeping in a sleeping bag, or sleeping in a bed with my tall husband , sitting in an airplane, and at night in a car, theater or such.
A 24/7 immobilizer is going to cause some extra difficulty because RLS requires movement for relief. I am currently sleeping 3-5 hours per night.
Thanks for any suggestions.
 
I'm sorry you have to deal with the quad tear. Sleep issues post op are common. Consider Magnesium, it may help with sleep and RLS.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)

Magnesium Glycinate is highly absorbable and unlikely to cause digestive discomfort as opposed to other forms of Magnesium.

An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Wishing you some restorative rest soon!
@TKR1022
 
When my kneecaps were removed, my patella tendons had to be shortened so I was put into an immobolizer for 6 weeks on each leg. I found laying on my sides helped with sleeping.

Don't worry about your bend, both of my knees came back just fine.
 
I experienced restless legs as well with my knee recoveries. I was helped by taking 1000mg of Tylenol (acetaminophen) at bedtime and sleeping with a heating pad at the base of my spine. Sometimes I would just need to get up and walk around for a few laps in the house for relief. Also, doing about 5 minutes on my exercise bike would help and I could go back to sleep.

Be sure you are getting sleep whenever and wherever you can. Naps are good. It’s okay to sleep in a recliner or on the couch if that’s comfortable. Sleep doesn’t have to be all at once at night or in bed to be beneficial.
 
Good Morning TKR1022,
I hope your sleep has improved over the past couple of weeks since we last heard from you.
Stopping by to check in on your progress and to wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wishing you a blessed Sunday!
@TKR1022
 
Thank you Layla. My sleep is moderately better but because I’m a side sleeper the brace is tough to deal with.
I’m using the immobilizer 24/7 and my next visit with the Dr is this coming Thursday.
Hoping for some good news and am committed to getting back to rehab and
Getting my life back.
Appreciate your staying in touch.

Batb
 
Nice to hear from you! Thankfully sleep is a little better.
I wish you luck with your appointment on Thursday. If you feel like sharing, let us know how it goes. Fingers crossed you hear some good news! :fingersx:
I hope you sleep well tonight.
@TKR1022
 
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
I can see that RLS could be especially hard if you can't move to alleviate it. Are you on any medication for RLS or insomnia? It might be worth explaining your specific issues to your doctors and seeing if they can prescribe some sedative medication you can take if needed. I agree with @sistersinhim
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom