Guest viewing is limited

TKR TKR with Fibro and Raynauds and RA, anyone else?

Not sure if it is widely available in the US but if you can get it and like it- then black pudding is the absolute best source of haem iron. Better even than liver.
Another point to consider is that antacids can impair iron absorption.
 
Hi @EalingGran I’m in the Uk :)
Husband’s out on an iron shopping quest today and black pudding is in his basket only had it once and don’t remember if I liked it but anything’s better than feeling as I am.
Yes think @mendogal mentioned the antacids.
Thanks for the info.
 
@beralc ohhhhh I love black pudding. However, I don't eat meat or dairy ( I am not vegan) I do eat chicken breast and occasionally an egg. At the moment have had a few eggs as my hubby is trying g to make sure I get enough food in me. Cholesterol is a problem in my family and as soon as I stopped certain foods, has been better. Anyway, how are you feeling today, any improvement. My levels increased after taking the iron but are checked regularly. Hope your knee isn't giving you problems, you just don't need added grief. Enjoy your ginger biscuits, feet up, film or good book. Let me know how you get on x
 
@Andypandy beautiful day here today which does help even if I’m not out in it. I’m sleeping for England at present. Definitely my biggest challenge is staying awake. Feeling completely wiped out. I’m having 7/8 hours sleep overnight then an hour or two later sleep for another couple of hours. Still I’m not moaning knowing how healing and precious sleep is for us all.

My knee pain is not any worse now than pre surgery or worse than the Fibro pain I get, so for me is much more manageable and I’m dropping meds each day. So once I get the anaemia sorted I can really see things moving forward, at present I can’t really do much walking etc cos of the symptoms.
I’ve not heard anything from the physio dept. I was told I’d be seen 3 weeks after discharge. Tbh I’m not in a rush to chase it up cos I wouldn’t be up to doing anything at the moment anyway.
So how are you doing? Have you managed any more sleep at all. Suppose it’s a bit early to have seen any improvement in knee flexion just yet? Hopefully managing to keep your spirits up ❤
 
@beralc hopefully you will start to gain some strength in a couple of days. Before I knew my ferritin levels were too low, I was very tired, dizzy and my hair was falling out, nothing horrendous but a worry. Much improved but s:loll:till not taking the iron whilst taking codeine. Catch 22 again. I have felt better for getting sleep, last 2 nights and starting to do a bit more. Not too much, make the bed, some washing/drying up, just gradually trying. As for the knee, doing the bend exercises he suggested and I also find gentle rocking helps. Walking consciously heel toe and make sure the bend is there. At the end of the day what will be will be, as long as I know I am trying to do everything I can I won't beat myself up. Just been to my Osteopath for back treatment and he commented on an improvement since last week. He's too kind. My PT started 2nd week, albeit did basically nothing as swelling was too much. Just carried on at home but have had 3 so far. Isn't this weather fabulous, at least it's good to look out to sunshine. Take it easy, let me know how you are. If you are sleeping like that you need it xx
 
@Andypandy with regards to iron and codeine. I thought iron just lessened the efficacy of codeine. Is there any other contradiction?

Hoping to get my daughter’s rocking chair here this weekend to add to the Flexion just gently. Yes I do the heel toe thing and even when I’m going up and downstairs I simulate a bend to my knee. Pleased to hear about your sleep it’s so vital isn’t it.

Yeah think I’ll just carry on at home with PT and once I start feeling more human again I’ll ring them.
 
@TeriseD
From the NIH
NIH
Iron Fact Sheet for Health Professionals

For people who are not anemic and don't need supplements, the recommended daily amount to eat is 18 mg.

With that in mind, in a given serving here's the amount of iron:

Top of the list is fortified to 100% dry cereal with 18 mg.

Next up are oysters or canned white beans, at 8 mg per serving each and beef liver at 5 mg.

Lentils and tofu come in with 3 mg; so does spinach but it's in a notoriously hard to absorb state, Popeye notwithstanding!

Lean beef, dark chocolate, kidney beans, garbanzos, sardines, and cashews offer 2 mg each. Yay chocolate!

Chicken, turkey, eggs, rice, bread, and broccoli have 1 mg per serving.

By my reckoning, for purposes of restoring health in anemia, chicken and eggs, much as I love cooking and eating them, are pretty low on the list.

I noticed this list didn't include chicken liver. I looked it up, extrapolated it from 100 grams to a 3 oz serving, same size as on the NIH site. It's a champion at 9 mg!!!
 
Last edited:
Yes, you're correct about the research inasmuch as those of us who do engage in regular strength training (I'm leg pressing 220# these days, probably increasing in a week; not bad for a septuagenarian with two newish knees) definitely need the extra protein.

However in my experience the average American is getting ample protein given that most aren't doing the work to need more.
 
@TeriseD
From the NIH
NIH
Iron Fact Sheet for Health Professionals

For people who are not anemic and don't need supplements, the recommended daily amount to eat is 18 mg.

With that in mind, in a given serving here's the amount of iron:

Top of the list is fortified to 100% DVA dry cereal with 18 mg.

Next up are oysters or canned white beans, at 8 mg per serving each and beef liver at 5 mg.

Lentils and tofu come in with 3 mg; so does spinach but it's in a notoriously hard to absorb state, Popeye notwithstanding!

Lean beef, dark chocolate, kidney beans, garbanzos, sardines, and cashews offer 2 mg each. Yay chocolate!

Chicken, turkey, eggs, rice, bread, and broccoli have 1 mg per serving.

By my reckoning, for purposes of restoring health in anemia, chicken and eggs, much as I love cooking and eating them, are pretty low on the list.

I noticed this list didn't include chicken liver. I extrapolated it from 100 grams to a 3 oz serving, same size as on the NIH site. It's a champion at 9 mg!!!
Although it’s important to look at the bioavailability of these non haem foods. Certain foods enhance bioavailability and others don’t, as is discussed in the NIH link you’ve supplied . Some foods actually have the opposite effect as stated in the link:
In addition to ascorbic acid, meat, poultry, and seafood can enhance nonheme iron absorption, whereas phytate (present in grains and beans) and certain polyphenols in some nonanimal foods (such as cereals and legumes) have the opposite effect [4].

So from what I understand a food may have higher iron content but it doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily absorb that, if the bioavailability is low.
 
Yes, you're correct about the research inasmuch as those of us who do engage in regular strength training (I'm leg pressing 220# these days, probably increasing in a week; not bad for a septuagenarian with two newish knees) definitely need the extra protein.

However in my experience the average American is getting ample protein given that most aren't doing the work to need more.
220!! What an achievement!!

Added to this is the aging factor and it’s affect on protein synthesis, which becomes less efficient as we age. Exercise actually enhances protein synthesis and helps maintain muscle mass. So you could argue not only that we need more protein with aging, but particularly those who aren’t exercising regularly like you.
 
Well I had a phone call from the Physio Department they were expecting me this morning but the hospital failed to give me an appt. I mentioned the anaemia and we’ve left it for me to ring them when I’m feeling ready.

She asked me what I’d been doing in terms of exercise and physio so I explained and I also mentioned my Flexion wasn’t much more than 45-50 degrees.
At the end of the phone call she said “try and work on the Flexion because there’s only a time and then that’s it”. I haven’t even been to Physio yet and I’m already being made to feel the urgency of pushing beyond what feels uncomfortable,but not painful!!
 
@beralc that's what I was told from my 1st visit, 2 weeks after surgery, 10 minute walk to get to them as pedestrianised, 10 minute standing wait as only chairs were in Cafe and low. Swelling was awful by the time she saw me and said I would be having an mua if I didn't improve my flexion of 25 degrees. Well, still some swelling on and off but slowly improving. So many have commented how flexion couldn't be improved until swelling eventually settled and went into months! My consultant told me to book in extra pt sessions to get some "intense" work done before I see him 28th February. No I am not, nobody is forcing my knee, unless of course I have to have a mua. Are you feeling any better, maybe more ginger cookies needed x
 
Could I please have some guidance. So my deadline is 28th February to have a good bend or I will be added to the list for MUA. Problem has been swelling but definitely better than was, I can't take anti inflammatories so maybe that doesn't help. Also my pain meds have been on and off due to stomach problems , back on 15mg codeine, fingers crossed. Took 2 paracetamol in the night, ate 2 digestive biscuits beforehand, sat upright for 30 minutes, 20 minutes later horrendous stomach pain, gaviscon, biscuit and hot water bottle, stomach settled 1 hour later. It seems night time meds always attack me. Anyway my question/query is: I am doing the bend exercises he suggested , told me to leave the strengthening exercises for now as happy what I am doing. Swelling then starts, ice, elevate, have a break couple more sessions, back to square 1. Question: when I stand the knee is very painful, is this normal.
Question: walking heel toe can feel a bend but feels full. So, is there anything I am doing wrong, should I be doing more, 4 sessions a day, slight rocking movement whenever I am sitting to keep it moving. I am just so confused with the swelling as it's a circle, and I hear people have swelling way past my 8 WEEKS which I will be on Monday. He advised my to fit in extra intense pt sessions to help. NO!!!! I have not. Appreciate help, guidance, and anything else beneficial x
You might get a better response if you add this to your own @Andypandy thread and tag several moderators in. I do empathise. Although I’m not going to force things I know that since the physio said that about Flexion I’ve got that in my mind now where I was happy about where I was before.
 
Last edited:
@beralc that's what I was told from my 1st visit, 2 weeks after surgery, 10 minute walk to get to them as pedestrianised, 10 minute standing wait as only chairs were in Cafe and low. Swelling was awful by the time she saw me and said I would be having an mua if I didn't improve my flexion of 25 degrees. Well, still some swelling on and off but slowly improving. So many have commented how flexion couldn't be improved until swelling eventually settled and went into months! My consultant told me to book in extra pt sessions to get some "intense" work done before I see him 28th February. No I am not, nobody is forcing my knee, unless of course I have to have a mua. Are you feeling any better, maybe more ginger cookies needed x
Just the thought of intense anything makes you wince doesn’t it. I’ve noticed about a 15 degree difference in flexion when the knee is swollen and when it’s not, so it definitely has a bearing. Hoping you get some clarity. I’m sure you’ll feel happier once the mods offer their guidance.❤️

Yes a better day today. I’m still sleeping really well thankfully and am able to elevate overnight and most of the day. Totally wiped out still, but so nauseous but I’m continuing with the ginger biccies anyway:ok: Pain well controlled and little breakthrough pain now. Looking forward to being able to push on a bit. The anaemia brought me some time thankfully! :heehee:
 
Flexion is very variable and some people continue to gain it over many months, particularly if they are prone to prolonged swelling- which definitely impairs movement.
Your ROM before surgery also has an impact- as if it was poor, and your tissues had become tight and contracted, then this will slow you up.
Flexion wasn't my problem as I was borderline hypermobile- but even I continued to gain 10-20 degrees over many months. I think I even gained a few final degrees in my second year.
I found a rocking stool wonderful for gentle movement. For me it was mainly for pain relief when sitting- but I think it would definitely help Flexion. I had one left over from my daughter nursing my grandson- but you could probably pick one up cheaply on Ebay.
 
My daughter’s been unwell but as soon as she’s ok my husband will collect her rocking/nursing chair. I’m also trying to bend my knee in whatever situation I can, not necessarily pushing to the point of discomfort but I feel any bending will help?
 
@mendogal @Jockette@layla I’ve been having problems clicking and reading some of the documents that appear as links, it states “you don’t have permission to be here”, is that because of the upcoming changes to the members status ie. Basic and Insider levels? Thanks.
 
Good Afternoon, beralc!
I hope you're having a good day so far. Yes, gentle bending of your knee, without pain, is beneficial. It will help improve your flexibility, prevent stiffness and assist in circulation which aids in healing.

In regard to your question above my post here -
Yes, the message you received has to do with the changes taking place. We'd like to encourage members to take their experience here to the next level. We appreciate and value your support as part of this community. Joining the Insiders Club allows special perks above the basics, making the most of what BoneSmart has to offer. If you're interested, we'd love to have you join us! :)

May this weekend be a good one!
@beralc
 
@Layla. Thanks. Yes pretty good. Hope you’re having a good weekend.
I’m beginning to tolerate the occasional ice wrap now, if I let it thaw to cool rather than freezing and move it around regularly. Also been able to drop some meds today. Still having great sleep and leg is therefore elevated a good 6-7 hours, toes well above nose and if I’m not exercising,walking or pottering, my leg is elevated all day too. My problem is staying awake!!
Still symptomatic with the anaemia and have orthostatic (postural ) hypotension now so that’s having an impact too,so having to take time when standing, to allow it to improve.

I will definitely want to join the Insiders Club. I have subscribed now

One other question. I know it’s good not to get too hung up on ROM, but that physio planted the seed, anyway I noticed a thread where the poster mentions the degrees they achieved warm and cold. Does that mean they’re doing some sort of exercising prior to doing their flexion. Can you explain that for me please. Thanks.
 
I will definitely want to join the Insiders Club. I have subscribed now
Thank You!
Your support means a lot and I hope you enjoy the special perks that come along with being an Insider!

Good to hear you've found a way to make the icing tolerable. Nice progress when you're able to drop some meds!
Oh yes, please be careful standing with the symptoms you described. I hope this all regulates for you soon.

I understand that it is difficult to ignore the often unattainable goals and unrealistic timelines from the medical professionals you're dealing with. The best defense in ignoring some of it is found through the testimonies here of those that have "been there, done that". Do you recall which thread the question you posed on achieving "warm and cold" was posted on, so we have a better understanding and can hopefully give you an answer?
 
Back
Top Bottom