TKR on left knee May 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts and prayers for you on your big day!!!

We are looking forward to reading of how things went and how you are doing---when you feel up to it.
 
How was the ride home? I think I am as worried about that as I am my surgery.
 
@TC15 , the ride home was not a problem at all. I sat in the backseat of the car and slid in backwards, elevating my bad knee on pillows on the seat and sitting my other leg on more pillows on the floor. We stopped approximately every hour and I got out and just made a couple laps around the car with no problem. The other thing I did that really helped involved an Iceman icing machine. We have a 110 outlet in our car and just plugged it in to the outlet and ran it all the way home. That helped a lot. However, my husband said most cars do not have a 110 volt outlet so you'd have to find a converter that would work to plug it into your cigarette lighter. Maybe a Best Buy could help with that. If that's not a possibility for you, I would have multiple ice packs frozen and in a cooler to change out on the way home. You'll make it home just fine.
 
@Jamie , his name is Dr. Wingerter -- an MD./PhD. My daughter is a physician and highly recommended him. He's very friendly and I feel great about him and the facility.

Ahhh....looked him up and he appears to be a fine young surgeon. Dickson Diveley is a very good practice. My surgeon was also from there, but he's been around a bit longer than yours. Sounds like you made a very good choice.
 
How was the ride home? I think I am as worried about that as I am my surgery.

We have a 110 outlet in our car and just plugged it in to the outlet and ran it all the way home. That helped a lot. However, my husband said most cars do not have a 110 volt outlet so you'd have to find a converter that would work to plug it into your cigarette lighter. Maybe a Best Buy could help with that.
Great advice!:thumb::thumb:
 
@Jamie , I think we were both in very good hands with Dickson Diveley. My main reasons for going with Wingerter were just that my daughter knew -- and trusted -- him implicitly. Plus, he was certified in doing the Biomet knee preserving surgery which was supposed to preserve my own acl and pcl, thus increasing stability, range of movement, etc. However, when he got in there, he wasn't able to do the acl preserving surgery after all -- it apparently requires that a certain bone be intact to connect the ligaments to and my bone was covered with bone spurs and essentially. crumbled. For that reason, he ended up doing a traditional knee replacement. No problem -- I'm still recovering just fine and expect great results. Glad to hear from someone else who's used Dickson Diveley and had great results too!
 
@Kansas Teacher Hi, this is a while since I replied, I have had a UTI and 3 lots of antibiotics see GP again tomorrow. Your Mothers numb leg is just like mine, down to ankle and part way round back. Like your mother I am hoping it will go eventually. My other knee was fine, no problems with leg at all. I don't know what can have happened this time. I hope she feels better that she is not the only one, I certainly do.
 
@Majic , I know my Mom finds it quite annoying to have it be numb all the way down her leg and I can't say I blame her. She says it makes her feel somewhat unsteady and she still uses a cane when she's outside the house which I think is probably a good idea -- much better than taking a chance on falling.

I hope things improve for her as well as you.

Roxie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom