Guest viewing is limited

TKR on left knee May 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quads are essential, but with 1 May next week anything you do now will be null and void.

I had a taller toilet already, I just added arms on the seat. You can get a toilet thrown also. If you don't have a walk-in shower , then you need a over in shower bench. I got two suction wall braces also.

Yes i had pain above and below because the bone on bone cased pain to radiate up and down.

I can tell you the first two weeks will not be fun. Take your pain meds religiously, ice and elevate like crazy. Take it slow and easy at your pace. If it hurts don't do it. Your going to have issues like constipation, loss of apatite and sleepless nights. All will pass, so be patient and work through it. Your recovery is totally yours, so it's at your pace, but work at it well.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I've actually been exercising all year -- a lot of hip, quad and hamstring strengthening exercises along with bike riding -- I've rarely had a day I missed. They've just started to hurt quite a bit lately so I think I'll just do the straight leg lifts so I don't lose any strength through this week prior to surgery. I do have a walk-in shower that actually has a bench in it as well and a taller toilet.

I'm going to go buy some colace and fiber to take to try to get things moving when I get home.

I have bone on bone too so that is undoubtedly causing my pain above and below the knee. @wberry do you live in Kansas? I live in Wichita but am having surgery done in Lenexa. Thanks for your advice.
 
Is it normal to have that pain behind, above and around my kneecap?
Sometimes I get the same kind of pain. I spoke to my OS about it last week and he said it is very normal with severe osteoarthritis.
I wish peace for you as your surgery date approaches. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
 
Good luck with your surgery this week! It's totally normal to get nervous and think "should I go through with this?", but from what you've written, I think you will feel a WHOLE lot better after you've healed from this surgery and you'll be in the "why didn't I do this sooner" club ;)
 
Good luck to you on Friday! Many here will agree that the anticipation is worse than the reality.
Just keep ahead of the pain and take your meds around the clock.
It sounds like your home is perfect for recovery.
Best Regards,
Karen
 
Thoughts and prayers for you on your BIG DAY this week!

When you are fully recovered, you will be truly amazed at how great you feel!
Is it normal to have that pain behind, above and around my kneecap?
My knees hurt everywhere---at times the arthritis pain seemed to migrate. I would also get horrible pains in the night when I would roll over in bed.

Now, "normal" is great---no pain, and my life and lifestyle are better now than they were three years priot=r to my BTKR.
 
Best wishes for your surgery. You'll have supporters here as you recover.
 
It sounds like you are having many of the same pains I'm having. Hope all goes well for you. I'll be having mine May 5th. I am having my left knee done first, and want to have the right one done later. God Bless.
 
Best wishes in your sugary and recovery..
Just follow all of the topic on the bone smart. Ask questions. It will help you a lot.


Angel1978
 
It sounds like you are having many of the same pains I'm having. Hope all goes well for you. I'll be having mine May 5th. I am having my left knee done first, and want to have the right one done later. God Bless.

I am almost certainly looking at having my right one done in the not to distance future too, @Bilbo . Good luck to you on the 5th and we shall be able to share recovery stories together!
 
I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Best wishes from TC15
 
Thoughts and prayers as you prepare for your big day. May all go well, and we'll be looking for you on the other side!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So I went to my pre-surgery assessment today at the Kansas City Orthopedic Institute and feel great about the facility and my os.

So sorry that I'm just now reading your posts!!! I could have told you LOTS about this facility as it's where I had both my knees replaced. Who is your surgeon? You will have wonderful treatment there. The Orthopedic Institute is actually in Leawood (not Lenexa).

But I guess at this point, all this is moot as you're probably on your way to surgery! Best of luck to you and let us know how you are doing when you are able to post.
 
Good luck tomorrow. I grew up in Wichita and still have family there. I had a TKR two years ago and am having the other one done in June. You will be just fine. It makes life so much better after all the healing is done. PT is hard but worth it.
 
@Jamie , his name is Dr. Wingerter -- an MD./PhD. My daughter is a physician and highly recommended him. He's very friendly and I feel great about him and the facility. Am there now waiting to be taken back to surgery prep. Good to know others have used and loved this facility.
 
Best of luck for your procedure, see you on the other side!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom