MUA TKR by robot

I think I did too much yesterday and am paying for it today. As my operation was assisted by Mako robot I have two extra holes in my leg. I find that my lower leg is more painful. I hope it’s because of the guide being attached. Still finding it a chore to find a comfortable position for my leg.
 
I think I did too much yesterday and am paying for it today. As my operation was assisted by Mako robot I have two extra holes in my leg. I find that my lower leg is more painful. I hope it’s because of the guide being attached. Still finding it a chore to find a comfortable position for my leg.
LOL.... define "comfortable position" and let me know because 15 minutes is still my comfortable limit on my mid June knee!
Seriousky, we all overdo it from time to time. Keep elevating and icing; dial back activity for a couple of days.
 
My goodness what a week. Monday 4th September woke up with terrible stomach cramps which had been getting worse for a week before. I came off the strong painkillers a week after my TKR which was on the 23rd August because I had convinced myself they were the reason for the cramps. At 5am I felt very strange and my heart was beating erratically. I knew it wasn’t a panic attack as I’d had those before. I took my blood pressure and it was 215/152 pulse 166. I phoned the emergency doctor and they sent an ambulance to our house. The first time ever. To cut a very long story short, it was hopefully a one time thing and I seem ok now. I had a bowel infection and that has now almost cleared. I was quite scared though.
I think I have done too much walking around the supermarket yesterday and today my knee is very sore and shooting spasms are going up my leg. Not the best of times.
 
I’m so sorry, what a scary ordeal! Rest, rest, rest now to recover from it all. :console2:
 
Oh my goodness, how frightening. I am so sorry you had to experience that. Hopefully you weren't alone.
I have heard some medications can affect heart rhythm...a possibility, maybe?
The important thing is you're taking it easy and feeling better. I hope you have a peaceful week!
@Cocopug
 
Oh my, how scary that was! I'm glad they found the infection and you're getting that cleared up. As Jockette said, rest!
 
Oh my goodness, how frightening. I am so sorry you had to experience that. Hopefully you weren't alone.
I have heard some medications can affect heart rhythm...a possibility, maybe?
The important thing is you're taking it easy and feeling better. I hope you have a peaceful week!
@Cocopug
Thank you for your kind words. It’s never plain sailing
 
Thank you to everyone. I am resting more and icing more. I am not out of the woods with the stomach pain as it is back today.
The knee is definitely less sore so that is good.
 
Thankfully your knee is less sore! Now for that pesky bacterial infection to clear. Hopefully you're taking in lots of fluids. I am sorry you are feeling pain again today. Wondering if probiotics will help? I know most medical docs don't suggest them, but normally if you ask they'll give you the green light.
Here is a link from our Nutritional Library -
Probiotics

Peppermint Tea may be soothing and relieve some inflammation, as well as water with lemon juice to detox and rid the area of bacteria causing infection. Chamomile Tea supposedly has anti inflammatory and soothing properties too. Just a few suggestions to take, or leave. Hate to see you struggling with pain or discomfort if any of the above can bring you a little relief. Recovery from joint replacement is enough of a challenge early on.
I hope you feel better soon! :console2:
@Cocopug
 
At least here in northern California with antibiotics most docs suggest yogurt or similar active lactobacillus cultures a couple of times daily, midway between two antibiotic doses.

I've used herbals for decades for both upper and lower tummy issues. For generalized bloating and gas, culinary sage seems to be the most effective (plus mint and ginger if handy).
For upper tract (gastric pain like heartburn, reflux) I look for blends that include slippery elm, licorice, marsh mallow - similar to throat soothing blends - avoid mint but sometimes add a little ginger.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for the advice. I went to the dr on Wednesday as I developed a high fever and felt very unwell. I ave been diagnosed with diverticulitis! Now, here’s what they said, there are several reasons I have all the signs. Number one was the use of Naproxen as a painkiller given after the TKR and being overweight and not moving as much because of the surgery. All I know is the pain is indescribable.
The knee itself after 3 weeks is doing ok. Still swollen, stiff and uncomfortable. Unfortunately because of the stomach pain I have not felt like exercising as much as I should do. I am only taking paracetamol and if I’m honest I could use something stronger. I went to the supermarket yesterday with my husband using crutches and had to cut it short and come home.
Feeling a bit fed up to be honest.
 
I went to the supermarket yesterday with my husband using crutches and had to cut it short and come home.
This is way too much to be doing at only 3 weeks out. No wonder you are swelling and in pain. I did my ADL and did well and recovered without a lot of extra pain and swelling. ADL
 
@Cocopug in addition to the excellent suggestion from @sistersinhim .... a close family member has had acute diverticulitis and it's NOT to be taken lightly even once antibiotics are started.
Please stay home and rest until the fever is gone and the lower abdomen isn't hurting. Follow recommendations for the special diet during an acute episode AND for the different diet adjustment for after it's resolved.
 
I seem to never learn, I always push myself too far. I do more harm than good probably.
I’m booked in for PT on Thursday and see how they plan to help me this time.
I’m going to rest more. The good news is my stomach has calmed down.
 
I’m going to rest more.
Rest, ice and elevate! You are still very early days in this long recovery, and you need as much of those three things as you can manage. You will have plenty of time for exercise once that poor knee feels better.

The good news is my stomach has calmed down.
Glad to read this! :flwrysmile:
 
Had a terrible night of pain in the new knee. Took paracetamol as it’s all I am taking because of stomach issues. It’s hardly touching the pain. Keeping icepacks on it.
Hoping to feel better later
 
Is there anything you can take for pain relief that is more effective? It is very difficult to heal when the knee is in agony. Adequate rest, nutrition, hydration and pain control is the key to recovery.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom