Guest viewing is limited

TKR Time2heal in recovery

I wonder if this is just the way it’s going to feel now or if that’s the part of recovery that takes a whole year?
The tightness can last for quite a while. At less than 3 months into a year long recovery, where you are now is not where you’ll end up. And, just so you know, I continued to improve well into my second year.

Another reason for Stiffness/Tightness is that it’s a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed and is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
How is April going for you so far? Hopefully things are looking up and you're feeling stronger with each passing month. We'd love to hear about your progress if you have the time to share an update. Hope to hear from you soon!
@Time2heal
 
Just figured I should post an update to give hope to those earlier in the process. I’m back to most all my normal activities which includes 2-3 mile walks and weight training at the gym. The knee still doesn’t feel “normal” but it isn’t painful. The most difficult situations tend to be when I have to stand in one spot for extended periods of time. The first month was absolutely brutal and the hardest experience of my life. I experienced depression and cried often. Month two I could tell I was starting to improve but it was so much slower than I ever anticipated. Month three I pushed hard with trying to get back to normal activities and now I’m finally doing things without first thinking of my knee. Still a ways to go for sure but it does get better!
 
Thanks for the update @Time2heal ! Sounds like you are doing well!

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Nice update! Thanks for sharing. Sorry you had a rough first month, but things are certainly looking up and will continue to get better. Happy Four Month Anniversary! :)
@Time2heal
 
I’m approaching 6 mi tha post op and doing pretty well. I’m back to hiking and lifting weights at the gym. I achieved full extension about 3-4 months out but flexion still isn’t back to where it was pre surgery. It’s good, my Dr is happy with it; he says what’s working against me is that I’m thin and very flexible. I’m frustrated because I can’t get my heel to my butt, can’t sit cross on floor or cushions for meditation purposes. Anyone here ever continue to gain flexion past the 6 month mark?
 
@Time2heal At 6 months out you are only half way through a process that takes one year or longer. You are doing great!

Many of our members report increase in ROM one year out or even longer. You will regain all your flexibility. Just give it time and patience.

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom