Guest viewing is limited

TKR Time2heal in recovery

I had my tkr on Jan 19. I was told I’m behind with my knee extension and have been doing daily exercises to move that along. Two days ago the PT mobilized my knee, pressing down on it really hard a few times. It was excruciating but I’m willing to do what I need to. Today I woke up and my knee feels less steady, more painful and I’m walking with more effort. It buckled so badly while putting away groceries that I thought I was going to fall. Has anyone else experienced knee buckling? Is this normal?
 
That physio sounds like it was too much for your baby knee. Don't let anyone hurt you.
 
I was told I’m behind with my knee extension
You can't be behind because there is no single timeline. Every recovery is different, because every knee is different.

What's more, at only three weeks out your knee is still inflamed from the trauma of the surgery. A swollen knee can NOT bend or straighten fully. Your PT clearly was not trained to deal with knee replacement patients -- what he did was totally unacceptable. No wonder you are in pain. If it was me, I would fire him immediately.

Painful PT is absolutely NOT necessary for this recovery. In fact, PT isn't necessary. Many of our members recovery fully just doing ADLs (activities of daily living.

Please go back and read through the following articles before you allow anyone to cause you more pain:

the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
I was told I’m behind with my knee extension
At only 3 weeks post op there is no such thing as behind, in any part of this recovery. Your PT has an unrealistic cookie cutter plan for you. We are individuals and don’t fit into cookie cutter, or one size fits all recoveries and rehab. Your PT also has an unrealistic theory about when you “should” be able to do things.
It was excruciating but I’m willing to do what I need to

Reread this:

Has anyone else experienced knee buckling? Is this normal?
Yes, many of us have had our new knee buckle, mostly because we are doing too much for our knee’s stage of healing. Yours buckled because the PT pushed on it. Please don’t let them do that again. If they insist, ask for a different PT who is more up to date rehabbing a knee replacement, or find another office who will give you reasonable advice.
 
By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
I’m at three weeks and two days. Im
Sleeping better and the pain is becoming manageable. My knee still feels extremely tight snd I’m walking with a cane. I can’t imagine I’ll be walking with no limp by six weeks but that seems to be what is expected? Does anyone know if that is a realistic expectation?
 
What are the best and safest movements/exercises to promote knee extension; I’m told I’m “behind” with getting it where my surges thinks it should be. I’m at three weeks and two days.
 
I just read my thread from my first tkr. Its great to be able to see where I was at this point.
My new knee is exactly where first tkr was 4 yrs ago. And I had a good recovery first time.
The same tightness, stiffness, pain level were all there at 4 1/2 weeks post op with first tkr.

3 weeks is still very early. I've seen some improvements at 4 1/2 weeks, but still slow going.
The best thing you can do now is ice, elevate, take pain meds. ADLs will bring about ROM.
And have patience. Patience is the hard part.
Keep in mind this is a year long recovery, but you will slowly see improvements in the next few weeks.
 
You are not behind. 3 weeks is so early in recovery. For me, extension took longer than flex first tkr. But, it happened. After I stopped PT at 8 weeks ADLs took care of getting the knee flat.
Please try not worry. You still have a lot of healing to do.
 
Agree with @beachy - it is very early days and too early to worry.
The exercise I was taught by the inpatient physio for extension was this:
Sitting on the bed with your operated leg out in front of you on the bed and the good leg bent in front of you with its foot flat on the bed.
Roll a thin towel up and put it under your ankle on the operated leg . Put your hands under your knee and try to push your knee as straight as you can into your hands. Your foot is flexed. Don't force anything and don't let anyone else push or force it. Do that a few times 2 or 3 times a day.
Hope this is a clear account.
 
My knee still feels extremely tight snd I’m walking with a cane. I can’t imagine I’ll be walking with no limp by six weeks but that seems to be what is expected? Does anyone know if that is a realistic expectation?
I think it is incredibly variable and depends a lot on all sorts of factors like your previous mobility/ age/ previous fitness/ degree of damage to knee, ligaments etc pre-op. One of the things I have learnt here is not to compare myself to others.
I am walking now without any limp ( 14 weeks post PKR). I was probably walking with little or no limp at 6- 8 weeks. I still carry a foldable walking stick. I mostly just carry it but I used it today to get on and off a train and I leant on it a bit when I got tired standing in a gallery. I don't think it affects my walking or makes me imbalanced if I only use it minimally.
 
@Time2heal
I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
As the others have said, and you are very early in this recovery which takes an average of a year to complete.

Please don’t let your PT cause you stress over your extension. It will come as you heal and your swelling goes down. You might want to consider switching to a different PT with a more reasonable rehab advice for you.

I’m at three weeks and two days. Im
Sleeping better and the pain is becoming manageable
This right here is proof that you are recovering well. ROM numbers are not the only proof of recovery.
 
I’m at three weeks and two days. Im
Sleeping better and the pain is becoming manageable. My knee still feels extremely tight snd I’m walking with a cane. I can’t imagine I’ll be walking with no limp by six weeks but that seems to be what is expected? Does anyone know if that is a realistic expectation?
I'm nine weeks in and my knee is still tight. I was very swollen after surgery and still have quite a bit of swelling. At six week I didn't really have a limp, but I had to (and still do) have to concentrate on my steps and gait making sure I'm putting my heal down first.

Today I had a bit of an ah-ha moment when I put my compression socks back on. After impatiently waiting to get out of them three weeks after surgery I put them on today and they take almost all the tightness away from my knee. Maybe if you've done away from your compression socks you might give them another try.
 
Happy one month anKNEEversary, @Time2heal ! Let us know how are you feeling when you have a chance.
 
I am at four weeks and three days. I’m feeling much better but nowhere near where I thought I would be. This whole journey has been an eye opener to me. I hadn’t realized how much I pegged my hopes on best case scenarios. I had not realized that being relatively young (56) and in good shape ( I was at the gym daily snd walking two to three miles three to four times a week) would afford me no guarantee of a speedy recovery.
My knee is still dreadfully tight feeling and I’m very unsure on my feet. I’m making decent progress with flexi on but my extension is stalled out at 5 degrees and is very very uncomfortable when I try to relax it and just let it drop.
We had planned a trip to Hawaii for spring break, so beginning on March 19. I’m wondering if that was wishful thinking in my part? Does anyone have any input about where I might hope to be by then? It will be the two month mark, I think I need to change my plans!
 
would afford me no guarantee of a speedy recovery.
Few of us had a speedy recovery, no matter our age or fitness level. This recovery generally takes an average of a full year.
My knee is still dreadfully tight feeling
Stiffness/Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue has been disturbed and is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.
I’m making decent progress with flexi on but my extension is stalled out at 5 degrees and is very very uncomfortable when I try to relax it and just let it drop.
5 degrees at 4 weeks is pretty good, it‘s almost straight, so don’t even worry about that. Your extension will come along fine as you continue to heal. What do you mean by relaxing and let it drop?
We had planned a trip to Hawaii for spring break, so beginning on March 19. I’m wondering if that was wishful thinking in my part? Does anyone have any input about where I might hope to be by then? It will be the two month mark, I think I need to change my plans!
If you decide to go, plan on lots of rest and elevation. You may not be able to do a lot of walking. 2 months post op is still pretty early in recovery.
 
Thank you! Letting it drop means sitting on a flat surface and putt king my leg out straight in front of me. Then, just trying to relax and let it settle down. That’s very uncomfortable but something PT says I should be trying to tolerate? At least for a few minutes at a time?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom