Tibial Plateau Fracture Tibia Plateau Recovery

Wonderful update, Night Owl! Thanks for taking the time to share.
Love your positive attitude and grateful heart. May it only get better! :SUNsmile:
@Night Owl
 
I wanted to keep updating this thread in case it is useful for someone in future.

I am now 12 months post surgery and walking for an hour plus a day. Still have my cane as I am usually on my own but, I can usually walk unaided over most terrain. Still avoiding slippery surfaces and steep hills which feels sensible.

My ROM is at about 135 degrees (although I don't measure it routinely) and I am still seeing marginal gains which is brilliant.

Amazingly, the bone is still not quite healed yet which my surgeon said is perfectly normal given the extent of the injury. I also have a very minor step on the surface of my knee joint (tibia end) which is not optimal but, hopefully will heal further and not cause any immediate issues. Knee replacement still very much a possibility for the future but hoping to get a good few years before this.

Pain is so much better. I still have to be very conscious of not doing too much and have a degree of pain and stiffness each day. However, it is much more manageable and always improves through elevating and icing. Reality is I am adapting to my limitations and continuing to exercise with a focus on obtaining more function and recovery.

Next part of my recovery plan is waiting for all bone healing to complete and then on to removing some of the metal work. My surgeon is convinced that the majority of my remaining pain is from the vast amounts of metal irritating my leg. Hopefully this is the case.
 
Your updates really are appreciated!

Yes, ongoing improvement is possible and even likely well beyond the one year mark. It's great you're taking a sensible approach with prudence and incremental increases in activity.
 
We are all grateful to read those who have had their surgeries a long time ago. Reading of successes and concerns is helpful to everyone. Thanks for your update!
 
Thank you for taking the time to update your thread, Night Owl. It is challenging to deal with ongoing pain. Slow progress is still progress though! Sounds like you're taking each day as it comes and you're appreciative of the progress you've made. Long recoveries can be exhausting, your strength is admirable.
Take good care and know we're always here if you need us. :)
@Night Owl
 
Quick update in case this thread is useful for anyone in the future.

I had all the metal work barring one screw removed 4 days ago. First couple of days were uncomfortable but I am back up and walking and the pain is very manageable with paracetamol. Making sure I keep gently moving and elevated my leg when sitting down. After my previous surgery where I had horrible pain and was non weight bearing, I am so grateful that this recovery is so different. Really looking forward to getting back out walking and to the gym in due course.

Will update again as my recovery progresses but hopeful that this surgery will improve my function and reduce day to day pain levels.
 
Thanks for the update. It's really good to have longer-term updates- especially for rarer surgeries like yours.
It would be good to be updated on what exactly your current function is like and how it compares to pre- injury and surgery.
 
Thanks for the update. It's really good to have longer-term updates- especially for rarer surgeries like yours.
It would be good to be updated on what exactly your current function is like and how it compares to pre- injury and surgery.
Thank you!

Pre injury I had full function. Used to run regularly and weight train. I love exercise and not being able to run (especially outside) was a hard adjustment.

I had good function pre surgery. Could walk for long periods and had full extension and flexion at about 120°. Have never been able to get back to doing any proper weight training utilising my right knee so have just focused on what I can do to keep my body as strong as possible.

However, I have a lot of day to day pain both from the nerve damage and from the areas around the metal. The hope is that the pain around the metal work sites will reduce and I wont get as much swelling, pain and clicking towards the end of each day. It is very doubtful the nerve pain will dramatically improve and I expect the aching within my knee joint (which is worse in the cold and wet!) will remain.

Last reason for removal is that any future knee replacement will be relatively straightforward. If the metal work was left in situ, a knee replacement would have needed to be done in 2 stages with a very long recovery and a higher risk profile.

I hope this helps.
 
Hi Night Owl,
It is nice to hear from you. Thanks for taking the time to share an update as it may be useful for another searching here on the topic, or seeking reassurance after experiencing the same. I wish you comfort and a smooth recovery as you heal from the metal work removal. Will look forward to further updates. Take good care! :)
@Night Owl
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom