Tibial Plateau Fracture Tibia Plateau Recovery

Night Owl

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all

I have found this forum so useful over the last few weeks so thank you so much.

Currently 8 weeks post surgery following a grade 6 tibia plateau fracture. Surgeon has really pushed range of movement which had resulted in a very painful knee and less movement than I had before.

Would love to hear from those of you that have resolved pain after aggressive PT. How did you resolve this? Also, is it normal to still be experiencing pain 8 weeks out?

Thanks for your help.

@Night Owl Welcome to BoneSmart! What surgery did you have and what was the exact date/which knee? I'll put the information in your signature for you.

Unfortunately we see many members here suffering from aggressive PT. For some it works. For most - especially someone like you suffering from injury - it is not productive.

If you read around this board you will see that we recommend the slow and steady approach to recovery. There is no need to push for range of motion. It will improve as you recover from all the trauma.

At only 8 weeks out, yes pain is normal. Are you icing and elevating regularly? Ice is a natural pain killer. It will help ease the swelling that is limiting your ROM.

Hello. Thank you so much for replying!

I had an open surgery on my right leg on 5th October 2023 with 2 plates and 15 plus screws. 12 weeks non weight bearing and have only been on paracetamol and ibuprofen for the last 3 weeks.

Attachments

• Tibia Plateau Recovery
    Screenshot_20231127_172942_Gallery.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 48
I am elevating and icing a lot. It sounds weird but so glad that pain is normal at this stage.

This can be a very lonely journey so very grateful for everything I have found on this here.

I will keep this thread updated and all help is gratefully received.

I don’t think there is a magic bullet for aggressive PT other than rest, ice, elevated, and most importantly don’t let them hurt you again! And if you’re like me and have trouble sleeping, reading these forums passes the time and provides encouragement - I think there are quite a few of us that read and post in the wee hours.

I don’t think there is a magic bullet for aggressive PT other than rest, ice, elevated, and most importantly don’t let them hurt you again! And if you’re like me and have trouble sleeping, reading these forums passes the time and provides encouragement - I think there are quite a few of us that read and post in the wee hours.
I am on here at night as well. I am definitely not going to allow anything to hurt at all again with the physio. I hope you are healing well.

Hi @Night Owl

So sorry that you have a TPFX. It sounds like a doosey!

In 2012 I broke my TP with displacement & have one plate and seven screws. 13 weeks non-weightbearing. A nice brace that I could open and remove for showering at a certain point.
I still remember my comfort zone; leg elevated, brace open, and ice packs all over it. :ice:

The beginning exercises were slow heel slides & leg lifts. We took ROM really slowly.

I exercised my other three limbs a lot. For any pain I took over the counter meds like you are taking.

Proper icing is very important for now and will pay off in the future.

All the best!

@Night Owl Wow - that is some major reconstruction. No wonder you are having pain. Tons of trauma. Do keep us updated! We are here for you!

This can be a very lonely journey so very grateful for everything I have found on this here.

I will keep this thread updated and all help is gratefully received
Aww, don't be lonely. We're always here for company.
We're glad you're here and thank you for sharing your healing journey with us.
It is two months to date since your surgery. I wish you lots of comfort and a very happy holiday season!

Hello everyone

Quick update. My new physio is brilliant. Really gentle and has helped me focus on building strength in the rest of my body. He is happy with the ROM in my knee and has said it will improve as my injury heals and not to do anything that hurts. Focus is on getting mobile and as back to normal as I can.

Pain is still there which is expected. My doctor has told me to take some codeine as required. He was very clear that I am still recovering and being in pain is not helpful. This has really helped both physically and with my mental health.

This thread gave me the confidence to change physio and seek more help so thank you!

Next hospital appointment is just after new year so will update then.

What a wonderful update! It sounds like you found a gem in your PT. I'm happy for you as it likely takes a lot of pressure off knowing you're a good match and on the same page with the physio. I am glad you found the confidence to switch things up that simply weren't working for you.
We will look forward to your next post. A great week to you, Night Owl!
@Night Owl

:yes!:Finding the right physio is a huge blessing! I'm so glad you found one that is just that.

Hi everyone

Back from a very positive hospital appointment. The injury is still healing but all is looking good (and everything is still in the right place!) so I have been signed off for partial weight bearing progressing to full weight bearing. Excited and slightly terrified after 3 months of hopping around on crutches. I no longer have to wear the ROM brace either which is very strange as my leg is very used to support. Am going to speak to my physio but does anyone have any recommendations as regards a leg support whilst I build up my leg strength please?

All being well my surgeon thinks I should be walking relatively normally within about 8 weeks. He is happy with my range of movement (currently at 95-100 degrees depending on how comfortable my leg is) and said it will improve as I use the leg and the inflammation continues to reduce. Same applies to the areas where I still don't have any feeling as hopefully most of these should resolve. Scars look great and I am beginning to feel quite proud of them now

Still have lots of healing to do and will have some pain for the foreseeable but absolutely the best result I could have asked for.

By way of a further update, the day to day pain is manageable with paracetamol at the moment with no need for anything further. I am not painfree by any measure but it is better week by week and giveb the amount of metal in my leg, pain at this stage seems normal. This means I still elevate the leg a lot and carefully listen to my body as regards PT and exercise more generally. I do not push through pain and am perfectly willing to accept recovery will take as long as it takes. Thank you for much for teaching me that very valuable lesson.

Will continue to update as my recovery continues and always happy to share what I can as regards recovery from this injury.

Oh what a great update and way to start your year!!!

Most over the counter braces and support provide warmth and mild compression. Many people find them comfortable, reassuring, and a handy reminder to be more slow and careful. I bet your physio will have some good suggestions.

Great news and wonderful update! Losing the brace and progressing to full weight bearing had to make your day.
Thanks for sharing your recovery and for the promise to update. I look forward to following your journey.
Wishing you a fabulous 2024!
@Night Owl

Hi all

Quick update as I am 4 months post surgery today.

My physio continues to be brilliant and we are making good progress. Walking unaided in the house now and can manage about 20 minutes walking which gets me to my favourite coffee shop. Very happy with this. The leg is still weak but I can go up and down stairs with increasing ease so the strength is definitely improving. I enjoy my exercise routine in the morning and am continuing to push myself to build strength without pushing to the point of ongoing pain.

I am very proud of my weird looking leg and have mostly got used to the metal work I can see and feel.

Pain is still very much a part of my day but now manageable with paracetamol and icing (the best thing ever invented). Still have a long way to go but very grateful for the progress so far. Recovery from this injury is not linear. Some days are better and some are worse but week by week I am getting better and it is brilliant.

Happy to see your update!

(I also used my favorite coffee shop as a target destination; as it is further it took my considerably longer to get there... but what a sweet reward for good rehab!!!)

Hang in there. It will continue to improve!

Hi again

Just back from hospital and now a week past five months post surgery. Very happy report all is going well.

Still very much recovery but the xray looks good and shows the bone is healing very well. The leg strength is increasing and flexion is now at about 120 degrees which I am over the moon about. I haven't pushed flexion at all but just kept moving and allowed the joint to heal. Was definitely the best advice for me. Arthritis and a potential knee replacement may be in my future but hopefully not for a number or years as the joint is looking good.

Still on the paracetamol and soreness and stiffness remain a part of my day but the pain is manageable and reducing week by week. Physio really helps manage this and I will be continuing to work on building strength and increasing my stamina with walking more.

No more appointments at hospital for a number of months but hoping to have to have a plan in place to remove some of the metalwork late this year or next year. I am so grateful!

Still a long way to go on this recovery journey and will be continuing to ice and elevate for the foreseeable. However, I am feeling really positive about the future and grateful for the support and advice I have received.

Great report. Glad to hear it!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom