THR Thrilled now 2nd hip is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
inca1 Your surgeries and mine are very similar as far as how close they were together. I felt I wanted to get it over with and the pain, for me, was so bad and getting worse. I am doing the PT again this time. I go once a week. I don't know how much it's helping though. I think that my legs are getting better from just giving it time to heal. I need to get out and walk more, walking does make my legs sore so I need to go at it slowly but continue to go further every few days. I feel that I have been at a little bit of a stand still with my hips for the past week. They seem to be staying the same, maybe not as much pain though. I'm not taking anything for pain anymore. I just want my gait to get better, I still have a limp or sway when I walk. The PT says it's from my leg not being strong enough yet.
 
inside thigh is at R4 B and C
That looks like the area of the Iliopsoas. You should try applying some Acupressure massage, heat (or ice, what ever works for you) and taking some simple otc pain meds.
at the back R1 to R4 at area D
This area would appear to be the Hamstrings. The same approach applies as with the iliopsoas. Stretched as described in each article would also help.
I am taking on board Josephine's advice that walking is what hips really need as that is what I really enjoy
That's okay but just don't go on a 2 mile hike! Last thing you want with the the tendinitis you have.
 
Nylsor,I have just finished reading your thread and am so sorry to hear about the shocking way you were treated by your GP and the length of time to diagnose the OA.That must have been an awful experience and no surprise that you ended up feeling very down.However the eventual outcome sounds to have been a great success and you sound to be really enjoying your new hip.
I had both my ops. done privately using our BUPA insurance. In both instances I was absolutely delighted with the care I received - it was second to none. My consultant was recommended to me by a friend and I had the utmost confidence in him from the moment I met him - for me that was one of the most important things before I embarked on the surgey. I had a spinal for both ops. - this seems to be be the preferred choice of my OS and I feel that not having a GA has been a great benefit in recovery. I went into the op.theatre feeling wide awake, stayed awake throughout and came out after the op. chatting as though nothing had happened.No tiredness, nausea ,grogginess and of course the anti anxiety drug I was given meant that although I could hear everything going on I wasn't in the least bit bothered by any of it - it all just seemed very interesting! So, I would highly recommend it although I would have no idea whether having diabetes would mean it was unsuitable - I hope not.
I had my first short shopping trip out with my daughter yesterday - we were looking for shoes for her upcoming prom and had success in finding a gorgeous pair. Usually this would have taken several shopping trips to various destinations but she was so sweet and considerate and we found them in only the second shop! It is lovely to start doing normal things again albeit in short stints. I see we have a lovely few days forecast and I am going to make the most of the sunshine and get out in the garden.

We too love cruising and have had 2 cruises on Celebrity recently. We loved the ship - Equinox- and I am sure you will have a wonderful time - I would love to do an Alaskan cruise. I imagine the scenery will be spectacular.

How wonderful to feel you are returning to normal sleep patterns. This is the thing I have had most difficulty with although I have slept quite well for the last two nights. I am trying very hard not to give in to daytime naps as I feel this doesn't help with my night sleep.

I hope you enjoy a lovely sunny weekend perhaps at your allotment ? How lovely to grow your own veg - I gave it a go but we have a garden with too many rabbits and they got to them before me. Fiona
 
inca1 were you awake for both surgeries? Did time go fast? Do you remember a lot of the surgery? I like the fact that I'm out and it feels like seconds you're awake and done. I think I have the hamstring muscle acting up also. Muscle pain for me is up high in the back of my right leg when I walk or bend over and then stand straight again. I will do the stretches and hope that does the trick.
 
Hello inca1 - Fiona - many thanks for replying to my questions. I too had great confidence in my OS - he has a wonderful reputation in this area and has operated on me before when I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists. I can't imagine undergoing major surgery with an OS in whom you have little confidence. I too was very satisfied with my care apart from my diabetes care which was a bit hit and miss but that was related to the nursing staff and not to the OS. I realised that I was being given a drip that contained glucose :yikes: and had to ask to have it taken down and I was going to be given a large dose of syrup of figs ( thought that went out with the dodo) until I pointed out that it is a syrup and sugar based. I'm sure that in the future I'll have to have my left hip replaced and if /when I do, I'll certainly ask about a spinal ( no reason diabetics can't have one) and many other aspects of my surgery and aftercare that I didn't have a clue about until I found this forum. We had a lovely day yesterday and I got out into the garden and today we went to pick up our daughter and SIL from Luton airport. They have been touring the Eastern Scottish Islands for a week and have had beautiful weather until yesterday. They live near Berkhamsted and we had a lovely lunch with them. I still get odd aches and pains if I do too much but seem to be progressing well. Yesterday I had a lot of aches because I knew I had done too much all week, so I rested up a bit and then today I had hardly any pains at all. I'm now in week 15 and my progress is much more difficult to assess as I am already doing most of the major things, ie. dressing from head to toe, driving, putting on shoes, etc and I can walk considerable distances as long as I take short breaks and sit for a little while. I've found that walking is the best exercise. I do hope that you continue to progress and that you have less aches soon! You're a veteran! No more hips to do! Well done and take care, Ros:flwrysmile:
 
sandybeach,because I had a longer period between my two surgeries I felt that my first leg was fully recovered before my 2nd op. I did a lot of walking every day and really concentrated on my gait and taking a long stride. I think I must have been quite a sight at times striding around my local park but it paid off and I lost my limp around 7/8 weeks after feeling I would never be able to shake it off. When I had op.2 I felt I was walking really well and on occasions walked 6 miles ( with Nordic poles) although my daily walk was 4 miles from about 12 weeks post op. I have a dog and she was a great discipline for me to do the walking.She has been in season since I had this op.which has been very good timing as I have kept her in the garden but she is now pining for her walks again.
Yes, I was awake for both and this seems to be the way my OS prefers to operate although I think some people do have a sedative with the spinal so that they sleep through. Yes, time went quickly and although you can hear all sorts of noises they all seem somewhat disconnected to your op. as there is no feeling associated with them.I had watched a THR on YouTube ( that was a mistake!) and imagined I knew exactly what was happening with each new noise. Of course you can't see any of it as there is a paper shroud around your upper body. I too am also feeling all sorts of muscular aches and pains but it is early days yet and hopefully they will soon ease. We have a beautiful week forecast after months of really awful weather so I am hoping to relax on my sun lounger and make the most of it. I hope you had a good weekend and that you continue to make good progress. :SUNsmile:
 
inca1 Wow you take some really long walks. I have never been a walker but I need to start. We have had such a horrible spring and summer seems to not be willing to show her face either that it's been hard to get motivated. My husband told me to do exactly what you said you did with the long strides. Did you get pains in your legs when went walking? Today after my busy weekend I feel less pain in my new hip/leg. The first one I had done seems to be doing quite well although I still need to work on the ROM but that's coming along. So you stayed awake both times....:yikes: I don't know if I could have done that. It probably would take the fear that some people have of being put under sedation. I had a spinal and then light sedation so if I was awake at all, I don't remember any of it. The surgery was the breeze not it's getting all the muscles working again after so long of not using them. I watched the surgery also before I had mine. I liked knowing what was involved in the surgery although some parts looked gruesome.
 
inca1 I think I will explore the spinal option for my next surgery. I just was so ill from the anaesthetic!! I also watched a THR on you tube. The things we do.....
 
Well, I feel that I made a big leap forward this week!
I woke up on Wednesday and my hip/ leg felt like mine again. I can now walk up and down stairs normally although I use the bannister going up to help. I can walk unaided but do limp when I get tired and use my cane then and on longer walks. The leg length difference I was sure I had post op. has dissappeared and I now feel pretty even - that has surprised me as I really felt quite uneven initially. I have been cleared to drive again and have been out a couple of times which felt good.
I am just taking 2 paracetamol at bedtime as I am sleeping badly - not sure why just very restless. I am seeing my OS in the morning for my first check-up - So far,so good!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Thrilled now 2nd hip is done
inca1, very nice update for less than a month post op with hip #2. That sleepless thing is a bear---probably be another month or so before it resolves. So just accentuate the positive and try not to dwell to much on the negative and the next thing you know you won't be thinking of hips at all!
 
inca1 you are doing great. I had that sleep problem for a few weeks. It comes out of nowhere. I was sleeping a couple hours and then up for a few hours then I would go back to bed and sleep until 10:00 in the morning. I felt like I was getting my days and nights mixed up. I finely had to make myself get up earlier and go to bed later and soon it straightened out. When I was having problems on here was suggested lavender scent on your pillow.
 
Our body clocks do get somewhat disrupted post surgery... Sleep when you can and nap when you can, it all counts :)
 
sandybeach, I will go out and look for a lavender pillow today and try it - thanks for the suggestion It is 5.30am here and I have decided to give up trying to sleep and start the day. I have had sleep problems for the last 10 years or so but never quite as bad as this! I have a very early appointment with my OS this morning so no chance of being late at least!

How did you get on with your return to work this week - I hope you felt ready for it and it wasn't too much of a drain on your energy. I expect you are glad the weekend is here - hope you find time to have plenty of rest and relaxation. Fiona
 
inca1 - good luck at your appointment! I have had pain behind my knee as you described and I think it is activity related and just things adjusting/healing. I have also had problems sleeping for years now but I am enjoying quite a bit of slumber since my operation. I am sure it will come and go during recovery.
 
inca1 I don't know if you will find a lavender pillow but if you can find the lavender scent in drops that would work. I know how horrible the no sleep pattern is and I hope that levels out for you as well. Have you tried melatonin?
My first week back to work went pretty good. I only worked 4 hours and day and next week I will work 6 hour days, if all goes well then I will be back to full time:shocked:. It's an adjustment from having all this time off. But when I had time off it was winter, cold and nasty and now it's summer so it's a good time to get out and start my life up again.
I hope everything went well with your check up.
 
Had my 3 week check-up yesterday. My OS was very pleased with my progress and that's it - I don't need to see him again unless I have any problems! He said that physio was unnecessary and just to keep on walking but not to overdo things before the 6 week mark. My scar has healed nicely and I am working on my limp which comes and goes.
sandybeach, That sounds like a nice gentle transition back to work although I'm sure you must have felt pretty tired at the end of the week. It must be lovely to be back in the company of people and spend time outside the home. I am enjoying driving again and being out and about - I was starting to feel a bit cooped up spending so much time at home.
We are going to Oxford today to meet our son and his girlfriend for Sunday lunch. Will have a wander with them as it is such a gorgeous town. Then home to look at my hive of bees - I have neglected them of late so hope they have been behaving and not swarmed in this lovely weather. Hope everyone is enjoying a good weekend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom