Guest viewing is limited

TKR Threw my therapist out of my house today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though....just using common sense, aggressive PT is counter productive. Couple extra degrees of flexion one day and you are so swollen the next that you lose and probably retract any gains you made the previous day.

More swelling equals less flexion.

Not sure why PT and Doctors still use these methods.
 
Not all PT are bad, I am fortunate to have a very experienced PT that believes in the slow and gradual approach. Giving time for things to heal, and avoiding things that hurt until they heal. I guess not everyone is as lucky.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I did use PT---and they were great. AT the PT center that I went to, I noticed that there were two sets of PT's---one group worked on joint replacement patients, and the other group worked on what I would term as "athletic recoveries." The two groups of PT's never seemed to cross over to other patients.

I had gait issues and I needed certain PT exercises to get back onto the baseball field to call balls and strikes, and the ones that I had never believed in "no pain, no gain"---and, at times, they reigned me in.

They were very careful to not take anything past the point of discomfort, and I was never pushed beyond that.

In looking back, I did not realize how lucky I was to have this group of people.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not all PT are bad, I am fortunate to have a very experienced PT that believes in the slow and gradual approach. Giving time for things to heal, and avoiding things that hurt until they heal. I guess not everyone is as lucky.
If you have a PT like that, treasure her/him. PTs like that are gems.
 
I started out PT at a Sports Medicine office. Everything was text book to these people, I had a young woman who was very athletic and I suppose thought I should be to. She wouldn't listen to me and one day about 4 weeks out I ran into a gentleman who told me about a wonderful lady he had after TKR. I called her and she did more for me in 4 visits with a gentle approach and making my knee happy then 12 visits with the aggressive PT . Ready to get my TRKR on Nov. 3 and looking forward to seeing the difference from the beginning .



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I went to pt once and the therapist told me I was a phoney! That it didn't hurt!...never went back
 
Once he did that I yelled at him and said to get out of my house and I don't want you to come back again.
:yes!:Good for you! I remember someone on here once telling how, when a PT hurt her, she kicked her with her good leg whereupon the PT said "ouch you hurt me" to which she replied "Well you hurt me"! That's the kind of approach I would have had.
P.s. I'm impressed that you can lay prone after only two weeks.
So am I! I couldn't lay prone until 2 months !
 
@Brian17 I have merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

Plus it prevent us from making duplications - you will now note that you have two sets of the recovery articles as clearly Pumkln didn't realise she had already given them to you in your first thread.
 
Half of them don't no anything that might help you. This site taught me that. They will bend, twist , pull, and measure you. They will talk about lunch and other stuff while you lift you legs , one , two, three, . Sounds like you found a good one. Bravo to you. You escaped torture.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I hate the bad ones. Just my luck I get the idiots......I'm the poster child of things that could go wrong with TKR.
I pay money to someone to make me stay in bed for days.? To hurt me.. I only had them stand over me and count.
Glad you didn't fall for it you are a stud
Slap him one for me. I never had any love to my knee. It's an ungodly lot. You would think they would teach them right. Money mill fakers. bully for you


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I did use PT---and they were great. AT the PT center that I went to, I noticed that there were two sets of PT's---one group worked on joint replacement patients, and the other group worked on what I would term as "athletic recoveries." The two groups of PT's never seemed to cross over to other patients.

I had gait issues and I needed certain PT exercises to get back onto the baseball field to call balls and strikes, and the ones that I had never believed in "no pain, no gain"---and, at times, they reigned me in.

They were very careful to not take anything past the point of discomfort, and I was never pushed beyond that.

In looking back, I did not realize how lucky I was to have this group of people.


My tibial plateau actually occurred on the Football field....for some reason a 300 pound offensive lineman thought my leg was the quarterback. I knew it was going to be bad the second it happened....to this day I swear my knee touched the ground before the rest of my body did and he hit me from the side.

I truly miss it....wish I could get back out there.
 
Question on measuring range of motion:

What is the best position to measure range of motion? So, in some positions I get more flexion and others I obviously get less. I have a pickup truck and I was able to hang my leg and let gravity take control and was able to get to 88-90 degrees without really pushing.

Now when doing my heel slides either in bed or sitting I probably only get 70-75 degrees. Prone is a whole other story:).

Does one mean more than the other? Do you take an average of a couple of measurements?

Thank you
 
Brian17,
The best way to measure ROM is to measure it in the same position each time. The best way to gauge your ROM is by what you can do, getting in and out of your truck, going up and down stairs, pedaling around on an exercycle, tying your shoes, all things you need to do in the real world.
You are still less than a month out from your TKR, 90 degrees you have dangling from your truck is Great!!!.
Give your knee time to heal, your ROM will increase as it heals and your swelling goes down.
 
@Brian17 I love your style!! Sorry the therapist hurt you but your comeback and throwing him out was awesome. Can't believe he didn't warm you up with gentle stretches or something. I used to have a PT that was so good, she would watch my face and has soon as I grimaced or winced she stopped.
I start home PT this week, hope I get a good therapist!!
 
Brian, I had a TPF3 and fibula fracture of right leg in April 2013, plate and eight screws. Hardware removal June 2014 and TKR in September 2014. I found the entire TKR experience worse than the TPF. I had problems with adhesions and had an MUA in January 2015. Had one month in-home PT and seven months PT (3x week) at the VA before giving up. Have poor flexion, extension and chronic pain. OS dismissed me at yearly checkup and was referred to pain clinic for treatment. Revision was strongly discouraged. I cannot walk without crutches, but at least I can still drive. That being said, everyone's recovery differs and there is no reason to believe your experience will mimic mine. I was at 120/0 six months after the TPF, so that was never a factor in the failure of my TKR. I plan to see a revision specialist in Dallas in the future. Right now I am going through an extremely toxic divorce and need esophageal surgery for acid reflux and motility issues, so the knee will have to wait. Your youth and fitness level will definitely help you recover from your TKR. This is a great site with knowledgeable, helpful members who will help guide and motivate you. Best wishes for a full recovery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
So very sorry about your experience with the therapist, but thank you for taking time to share your experience. I'm 10 days out from a BTKR and I appreciate the reminder that it's ok to "just say NO!"
 
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all of your replies....figured I would post an update as to where I am at, coming up on 4 weeks this Thursday.

I actually went back to work last, I am a salesman but have made arrangements to work in the office and not make any sales calls for the next few weeks. It actually wasn't too bad as I was able to perform my work duties and mentally I think it helped a lot. Aside from getting up to loosen up and walk around the office a bit I was sitting with my leg up on a chair and icing 85% of the day.

Still having trouble with Flexion I believe.....went to outpatient PT twice last week and they were able to get me to 85 degrees. I know that is not terrible but it really is a "hard" stop at the 85 mark.....literally can't get another degree. Seems very very tight and stiff.

Walking is getting better, haven't ditched the crutches yet because I do feel like I still need them but I don't foresee needing them within the next few weeks.

Anyone else have a hard stop at a certain degree? I just feel like the flexion has not progressed much over the past 2 weeks and I'm starting to get a bit concerned.

Thank you in advance for your responses.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom