TKR Three years post TKR

@kmak81230 I'm not that active right now. I feel like a couch potato, but I am trying to walk to lunch a few days a week and walk rather than drive when it's practical. I'm going to start going to the rec center here now so I can use the walking track when it's icy.
 
That's a great idea walking at the rec center.
 
I think walking is a great form of recovery therapy. I walked two laps at my fitness center this morning - whew! Now icing and elevating.
 
I feel your pain. My local trails are icy. I took some unnecessary risks descending on slippery terrain last weekend. I hit the gym today. Ugh, I'd rather be outside. OTOH, I plan to test the new knee with a mellow flattish XC ski tomorrow or Thursday.
 
Here, we have four inches of snow on the ground, and single digit temps in the mornings. Not enough to ski on yet, but I'm not ready to try that yet. It is really icy walking around my cabin, which is making me nervous.
 
My knee was right about the snow, but we lucked out and missed the freezing rain. When the snow stopped falling, my knee stopped hurting. I'm looking forward to the walking track.
 
I'm going to test this weather knee theory. The official forecast is calling for 4-8 inches of snow tonight. My knee says it'll be surprised if we get even a dusting. Any bets which one is right?
 
Not everyone finds that their knee is affected by the weather.

My TKRs never felt any different with weather changes, but my mother's did.
 
No snow this morning. The local TV station is still forecasting 100 percent chance today, but I'm still not feeling it. My wife is reading the NWS forecast now, and it says a wintry mix with rising temperatures.
 
Sometimes my knee doesn’t act up until after the weather event, it becomes a reporter, rather than a predictor. :rotfl: And it doesn’t react every time. :shrug:
 
I missed it. We got the winter mix, but the other side of the county got 6-8 inches of snow.
 
On Dec. 11, I was 19 weeks post op. My knee feels much better in the past two weeks, I can walk as far as my out-of-shape, overweight body will allow.
The only concern now is I have a persistent spot of swelling about 2 inches in diameter on the lateral side of my knee, just below the knee cap.
Has anyone else noticed anything like this this long after surgery?
 
I have an issue on the lateral side and down just a bit further than the kneecap. It has always been very uncomfortable at that spot. There is some swelling. I am 21 months post op and losing hope that mine will get better. I have described it as feeling like someone jabbed a hunk of wood into that spot and left it there. It is most annoying.

Mine was a partial, a Patellofemoral. I don’t consider it to be a success.

I also had a lateral release done during my replacement surgery and I suspect that it was in this uncomfortable area. I would think it would be healed by now.
 
@MtnSearcher, not sure if what you are describing is similar to a similar situation I had or not. As you might recall, I had a partial knee replacement on the lateral side of my left knee. For the longest time, I had an area just to the left (lateral) side and slightly below my knee cap that appeared a bit swollen. It was especially noticeable when I would bend my knee. It never hurt, was actually located just below the area of the numb patch from surgery. During a discussion with my OS at my last follow up at 12 weeks (I’m now at 8 months), I asked about it. He said it was most likely the “fat pad” in that area still being inflamed. I googled information about them and had to agree with him about this (couldn’t find any info here on BoneSmart, but that doesn’t mean it’s not here). Over time, it gradually reduced in size / appearance.

If the area is not causing you any pain or other discomfort, I wouldn’t worry about it.
 
@NavyGunns It sort of aches and feels tight in that one area, but it's not bad enough for pain meds. I just finished seven days of Naproxin for another problem unrelated to my knee, and the rest of the swelling in my knee went away. This didn't. Curious more than anything. It doesn't really interfere with my daily routine.
 
@MtnSearcher Is the area just below the kneecap, but to the side of the patellar tendon? Like where there is sort of a hollow spot on a healthy knee? Or is it an inch further down, over the bone (top edge of tibia)?
 
@MtnSearcher, yep, what you describe is similar to what I experienced. That tightness is definitely common and is associated with the healing process. If you haven’t already done so, read the following:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/tight-band-feeling-across-the-front-of-my-knee.11734/

I still have the same feeling at times, especially when I do a lot of exercise with that knee (which I’m doing more of these days now that I’m at 8 months). No pain, just feels tight at times. Sometimes it’s achy, but not such that I need any pain meds.
 
@rustic It's in the hollow just above the tibia, below the patella. It doesn't really hurt, so if our 40 days and 40 nights of rain, snow and ice ever stop, I'm going to tackle a mountain trail.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom