Guest viewing is limited

TKR Three years post TKR

I stepped off a curb into hole hidden in the grass Tuesday and took a spill.
I did the same thing a couple of weeks shy of my knee being a year old. It resulted in a broken foot and ankle. I fell directly on my new knee, too. It also swelled and ached for a week or so from the fall, but later on more for not being able to use it since I was non weight baring on my foot and ankle. Thank God your fall didn't result in any damage! Extra ice and elevation should help with that swelling and soreness. Please watch out for those holes! I constantly watch my steps outside now.
 
Wow, those are great numbers. I'm 0/105 at 16½ weeks out. The relatively slow flexion progress has not stopped me from hiking.

Glad to hear your fall was no biggie. I'm not surprised by the lack of damage. If the TKR is done right, the bone should be 90% stitched into the prosthesis by week 11. OTOH, the soft tissue takes quite a while to fully heal.
 
I haven't done more than a half mile hiking yet. If I get another pretty weekend day before it gets into winter, I plan to try a little more challenging hike. My favorite place gets really icy in winter, so once it snows it's off my list till spring.
 
the bone should be 90% stitched into the prosthesis by week 11. OTOH, the soft tissue takes quite a while to fully heal.
@DIYSteve If you're going to offer this kind of information, please get it right!

Bone does take about 10-12 weeks to bond with the device and soft tissue will only be fully healed within 6-8 weeks. But the impact of the surgery and any over-activity involved, that CAN take some months. See these charts.

[Bonesmart.org] Three years post TKR


[Bonesmart.org] Three years post TKR
 
soft tissue will only be fully healed within 6-8 weeks.
Now I'm confused. That chart seems to say 6-9 months for "complete healing" of soft tissue cut during surgery, which is kinda what I said, no? Help me out here.
 
What has kept you from doing a longer hike?
Swelling, mostly. After I walk for awhile, my knee blows up like a balloon. I've been walking to and from lunch and to and from local offices every day this week, and I've had to start icing again.
 
Me, too. It's pretty frustrating.

By the way, does anyone else experience their new knee "clanking" when you walk? It's not really a sound, but I can feel it. My OS says it the plastic o the back of my patella hitting against the metal of the joint and it will go away, but It's really aggravating.
 
My new knee clanked a bit at week 8-12 (est.) but quieted down after that. I have not noticed any clanking in the past month.
 
I now have more problems cropping up. My wife and I and our two daughters took a long-planned trip to a convention this weekend, and now I can hardly walk.

It was a six-hour drive there Friday and a six-drive back Sunday. I spent some time at the convention Saturday, but our oldest daughter was born in the city where it was held almost 21 years ago, and had not been back since she was old enough to remember. I spent a few hours touring museums with the girls and driving around, letting her see the city of her birth.

Today, my knee is extremely swollen and painful on both the lateral and medial sides. I'm using 800 mg ibuprofen and my ice machine, and elevating, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Sitting all day at work just made it feel worse.

Any other ideas?
 
Sorry to hear of your setback. I do not have any suggestions: You're doing what I'd do (other than naproxen sodium as my go to NSAID). Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving
 
My knees did something similar when I took a long trip at about six months after surgery. Both knees were in a good place going in, and the right knee hadn’t felt pain in three months. We drove for a few hours to visit my son and his family, and once there we spent the day on our feet visiting city sights and walking a lot, then I played with the grandkids. It was a lot more than what I usually did in a day.

That night my right knee (the best one!) blew up and hurt so much... and the left was also hurting. I foraged the hotel room for a couple of cushions and popped my legs up on those, and took some pain meds I’d brought “just in case.” The next day at my son’s house I got some ice in a ziplock to pop on the knees.

The knees settled down pretty quickly, within a day. That’s the best part of being in later stages of recovery. The knees settle down lots faster. But at six months, a TKR is still prone to acting up if given too much to do, or simply something it isn’t keen on doing. Long drives tend to be on that list, along with lots (and lots) of walking without a follow-up of pre-emptory elevating and icing. Which I did not do, and you likely didn’t either. The sitting at work is in the same category as a long drive, though not as restrictive, and doesn’t allow the swelling to settle as well as if your knee were elevated.

Is there a way you can elevate at work? Even if only for a half hour (an hour or two would be better). Can you ice at work? Elevate while you sleep? Whatever you can do to reduce the swelling will result in less pain.

On the plus side of all this... did you enjoy your outing? My trip was totally worth my knees acting up. I hope your trip was too. :good-bad:
 
You're right, I didn't ice or use ibuprofen while I was away. I had the ibuprofen set out to pack, and forgot it. I took my AirCast cooler but forgot the cuff at home. By the time we got to the hotel each night, I was too beat to look for the ice machine and a plastic bag.

And yes, the trip was great!
 
The knee is back to the way it was before the weekend of travel. I limp a little when I first stand up, but it goes away in a couple of steps. Very little pain, though I sometimes feel like it's being jabbed with a needle. I'm taking steps more and trying to walk to most of the places around downtown that I need to go for work.
 
Glad you are doing better. I agree with @SusieShoes - I had that happen a bunch during the first year. Since you are so active it may even be more than a year before that knee is totally feeling normal. One of the surgeons on the Joint Replacement Awareness Day webinars said that his really active clients can take up to two years to feel 100%. That is my experience with my knee #1 (which is 18.5 months old). Keep the ice and Tylenol handy . . and keep hiking!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom