TKR Three years post TKR

I will try to take it easy tomorrow. I've used ibuprofen, ice, rest, massage and topical menthol pain relief today, and the shin splints are much better. Thanks, all.
 
I have not yet experienced post-op shin splints (a term used to describe any of several things) but I have experienced some temporary tendon and ligament irrigation. My theory: As the swelling gradually abates, the mechanics of the knee changes and places stresses on ligaments and tendons that haven't been used for awhile.

+1 re skipping a PT session or 2 or 3 to concentrate on recovery. My PT and I agreed to stop PT sessions as of last week (except for one more visit end of this month for ROM measurement per OS request). My PT said my walking gait looks good and opined that my PT sessions have become merely pro forma because my activities (e.g., lots of walking, bicycle on the trainer) plus stretching at home are de facto PT.

I would think an active guy like you is close to getting to the same place. Best of luck.
 
Last edited:
Sorry about your club visit and gutted to hear about your shin splints...got them one towards the end of a 4 week walk in spain several years ago....tape helps.....but rest and ice even better. Hope you are up:walking: and back at it soom..
 
I skipped PT Friday to let my leg rest, but I had an event last night that had been planned for months. I took it as easy as possible, but still had quite a bit of time standing. I had to take hydrocodone at bedtime for the first time in weeks. It's 2:30 a.m. now and I still can't sleep. I have a two-hour drive tomorrow to get to my brother's house so I can drive him to and from eye surgery early Monday. Hopefully, laying off PT until Wednesday will help. Chalk this up to a lesson learned -- just because I feel better doesn't mean I'm 100 percent. I might not even be 50 percent. I don't like this overdoneit club. Can I resign now?
 
I’m sorry you’re so uncomfortable. Our knees can throw such a tantrum sometimes.
 
I’m right there with you. I think naturally that the better we feel the more we want to do. I did that on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and I spent the rest of the week like I did post-op week 1 and 2, on the couch with ice. Just starting to feel a little better after my visit to the club. Still tender and not exactly where it was before I over did it. Hang in there and know you are not alone!!
 
@MtnSearcher, as you can see, we’ve all done the same. Take it easy the next few days. One nice thing is that the farther along you get the quicker you recover. Don’t worry about having done harm to your knee, it’s all soft tissue which will be fine in a few days.
 
I am much better tonight, even though the drive caused my knee to stiffen up some. Once I walked around a little it was better. Nothing but ibuprofen and an ice pack tonight. Thanks , everyone, for the encouragement.
 
I'm at 10 weeks and 2 days post op. Still have good days and not so good, but the not so good days are getting farther and farther apart. I have three more PT visits -- Friday, Monday, and Wednesday, then back to my OS a week later. I figure he'll say I'm at MMI then and send me back to work.
 
  • Like
Reactions: pdx
I'm going back to work Monday with restrictions on lifting, running, and stooping. Tuesday was 12 weeks post op, and my OS appointment was Wednesday. No physical therapy since the Wednesday before, and my knee is continuing to improve. I'm walking every day, climbing stairs, etc. Feels great to be able to do those things!
 
Good luck on your first week back to work. It sounds like you are doing quite well!
 
I stepped off a curb into hole hidden in the grass Tuesday and took a spill. It was painful, but I got up off the ground without help, and kept functioning as operations chief on a search (from the drivers seat of my Jeep) until 2:30 Wednesday morning. My knee is a little sore and a little swollen still today, but not enough to impede walking or working.
 
Ist it amazing how sturdy our new knees are? About 11 or 12 weeks out from surgery I walked up my front steps, tripped and landed on both knees on the concrete. My first thought was I've ruined my knee and have to start all over. Nope. Slight soreness but fine by the next day. Im 16 months out now and took a really hard fall about 10 days ago. Split my lip, sprained the opposite ankle and twisted my new knee hard. Lots of bruises. I was down on the couch for three days. But im nearly back to normal now. Im sure you will be fine. These knees are much tougher than we imagine.
 
It really is amazing. I was afraid I had done damage, but I got my feet under me and got up. Search and rescue is volunteer, and my regular job is driving a desk since my other knee was injured. I think sitting at my computer causes as much as or more pain than walking around.
 
I think sitting at my computer causes as much as or more pain than walking around.
It can. Sitting with the knee bent puts pressure through the knee that causes pain until you heal more.

People think going back to work at a desk job will be a piece of cake. We try to tell them there will still be issues until further healing.

I’m sorry you fell, I think that’s the biggest fear for all of us.
 
@MtnSearcher, my first reaction to your post was “Ouch”! Luckily for me, I’ve not yet experienced that feeling. Glad to hear you faired well and are pretty much back to normal.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom