Another long post...lots to think about & many hard decisions to make...input requested, please.
I did call Dr Maale's office, & he does accept Medicare! (thank you Pumpkin for saying not to rely on website list of accepted insurance). So Dr Maale needs my records from my TKR surgeon & Infectious Disease doctors, which I can request. Dr Maale can't see me until early January, though, because of Christmas holidays, which I totally understand. I don't know if it's going to be safe for me to wait until then, health-wise?
Dr Incavo's nurse called me this afternoon really pushing me to go to Houston TODAY; I told her I just can't because I can't get there; then she said come tomorrow. My appointment with him is Thursday morning at 8 am. I already told her I couldn't come until Thursday, so I kind of felt uncomfortable with her pushing me to come now. I told her I went to ER here & that I was given Vancomycin IV. She went over my medications & we got into a discussion about pain management after surgery. I told her it's a big concern for me to receive adequate pain management post operatively and she said "we can only give you a safe amount" & started educating me about developing a tolerance for strong pain meds, etc. I interrupted her & told her I'm well aware of that because I LIVE IT every day, and I've educated myself about chronic pain & pain medication & that I wouldn't go into this not having Dr Incavo on the same page as me regarding pain management.
It irritated me that she talked down to me about it when I'm living in pain every day, even taking medication for it. She didn't reply. Then she said Dr Incavo will probably put me in the hospital Friday for surgery to remove the implant. I asked if he wouldn't give me a few days of Vancomycin before removing implant, and she said no, he doesn't do it that way...that concerns me.
So I was feeling like maybe I don't want to go to Dr Incavo, then I saw Jamie's message that some of this groups members have had problems with him, so that really reinforced my feeling that he's not a good choice for me.
So if I don't see my original surgeon or Dr Incavo now and Dr Maale can't see me until January, am I OK to bide my time taking my Bactrim 800 mg twice daily? I'm afraid I need to get some more IV Vancomycin between now & whenever Dr Maale can see me in January?
Is it true Dr Maale does one step revisions? Does he not put in spacers for weeks/months & then do a new TKR? If that's true, it makes me feel a glimmer of hope in the inky blackness of this whole ordeal!!
After reading several posts on this forum of people's positive and life changing experiences as patients of Dr Maale, I feel very sure I need to find a way to get to his office, even if I have to ride the bus to get there! I absolutely feel he's my best chance for a positive & successful outcome!
My biggest concern now is if I'm going to do some kind of permanent damage to my body waiting until January to take any kind of action other than oral antibiotics?
Sorry this is so long; there was just a lot to say. I appreciate your reading my post.