THR THR progress update 24 days post-surgery

Getting back to hiking will come. Just my guess but by going back to work early your body is having it's healing energy used so you get tired fast and slow the healing process down. Everyone talks about the 3 mos., one year timeline. That's just a general time frame but the healing and strengthening seems to keep going on past then at least for me. Some of the stiffness comes and goes but it's still there for me.
 
I’m not sure I’ll ever to back to my old hiking regimen, esp uphill, rugged terrain, which is a bummer but I like to avoid pain and also don’t want to do anything to make the good hip need to be replaced.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised @Starmarie. I find that uphill and rough terrain doesn't even slow me down with both TKR and THR. I'm doing hikes that would have left me in tears 10 year's ago, and had left hiking completely behind before my replacements. Hiking, while it can be strenuous doesn't put any undo pressure on your new joint, hiking shouldn't cause you to wear out the new joint.
Thank you for your reply. It is so great to hear this. I hope, in time, to try some hiking, baby steps.
 
Hello @Starmarie Thanks for taking the time to update!
When you think about how long you’ll most likely be sportin‘ your new hip, eleven weeks is very early into the healing process. You have many months of healing and improvements to look forward to.

You did return to work a bit earlier than we recommend, but it’s understandable that twelve weeks with a phased return is not an option for everyone, nor their choice. I do think your return may be contributing to the energy drain you’re experiencing. Hopefully once home from work you’re able to rest and not do much else until you’re feeling stronger. All of your energy is going toward healing right now, not leaving a lot for anything else. Thankfully it’s only temporary.

Wondering if it’s your goal to get in 10,000+ steps daily…It is rather ambitious at this point, especially while you’re dealing with Energy Drain. Consider scaling back then slowly increasing your steps as your energy increases.

Still have numbness/pain on outer thigh near the incision and the quad muscles still get very tender. This has got to get better in time, (so my OS tells me).
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

I do think you’ll get back to the hiking you love, but it will take time. Complete recovery can take a full year, even longer for some, I think you have good things to look forward to. Hang in there, you’re doing well.
Enjoy the rest of the week! :)

Thank you Layla. I wished I could stay off work longer, but actually I was soooooo bored. I’m just taking it easy most days and not overdoing it.
 
Update: 13 weeks post op and I feel a lot of improvement in my hip. I had anterior THR , still have the numbness/nerve pain on outer thigh/hip next to the incision and if I do put more weight on my surgical side, I do get quad pain. But it feels a lot better, less pain and discomfort when walking. I am experiencing lower back strain from the surgery trauma, change in sleeping positions since surgery and from not having strength in my thighs when trying to do household things and bend over.

My energy level though, is low. I go to work, I don’t have a physical job, and I find I can’t stay sitting up all day. Thankfully, I have a private office and I am able to lay down on the floor and rest. I also have a boring job, with a lot of free time and don’t want to do anything productive to fill my free time. I also feel drained, lacking in motivation, not excited to do anything. I would say this is depression, but not really feeling sad. Wondering if there is some chemical thing going on at this stage of healing and if it is taking every inch of life out of me. I feel this way at home too. Basically I just want to lay down and rest all the time. I do get out and walk during the day to get some movement.
I sleep through the night, take melatonin, which helps, no painkillers, just Advil.

Any recommendations for energy? Please, I need it.
 
@Starmarie It's the dreaded Energy Drain! The good news is this will pass with time. But don't try and fight it. Rest when you can. Your body is putting all its energy toward healing.
 
Thanks @Jaycey. This energy drain thing is no fun. I’m really struggling. It’s even affecting my mood. But t least I know the cause.
 
Sounds like Energy Drain with a little Post Op Blues mixed in. It seems one can feed the other. Feeling tired all the time is a bit depressing and depression is draining. Good news is many experience both and it’s only temporary. Your body is using energy for healing first, not leaving a lot for the rest of the activities of daily living. Rest when you’re able and maybe push yourself a bit to engage in something with someone who’s company you enjoy. Recovery is a process that takes time, patience and some days everything you’ve got. Hang in there. Wishing you brighter days soon! :SUNsmile:
@Starmarie
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a good week and that you enjoy this special day along the way on your healing journey.:walking:
Have a good one!
@Starmarie
 
I'm just impressed that you can get down on the floor! I can't even imagine trying it.
I worked this morning and I'm absolutely wiped out. It's not a hard job but a bit of walking about and a lot of talking which involved concentrating quite hard.
My hip feels fine but my whole body just feels so heavy since I got back home today. Oh well. Tomorrow is another day.
 
@Spex10 I am glad you mention being tired, not because you are tired, but because it makes what I’m feeling a little bit more normal. I am so exhausted some days that I literally just start crying. I can sleep all night and be so tired, even coffee isn’t helping. I work 4 days a week and I don’t do anything physically taxing at work except walking to the coffee shop. I’ve limited my steps and I lay down a lot to rest. My husband keeps asking what’s wrong with me. I haven’t even gone to the grocery store in weeks. I asked myself if I was depressed, but its really just being so tired.
It‘s hard to imagine (believe) anyone resuming regular activities 3 months afternoon a THR.
I just cope by resting more. It also doesn’t help that I’m going through menopause or peri menopause. It’s been a rollercoaster.
 
Sympathies. Sounds like menopause collision with THR is behind this. Well don't forget the mantra, ' This too shall pass'. You really won't always feel like this. Sleep, eat and stay hydrated (with water!) and take one day at a time. Good luck.
 
Going through menopause as you’re healing from major surgery could be contributing to your lack of energy. You are only three months into a recovery that can take a full year and even longer for some.

Good nutrition is essential as your body is healing. Eating well-balanced meals and snacks will aid in your recovery and hopefully help you feel your best. What you eat affects your well-being and you have hinted at depression as a possibility more than once. I hope you’re taking the time to eat—even if you do not feel hungry.

Through a quick online search I found some dietary info you may find beneficial and helpful with the healing process.
  • Protein – soy, dairy, beans, eggs, cottage cheese, poultry, fish, meat, and nuts are all excellent sources of protein. Make sure you incorporate some into each meal to allow your bones and muscles to rebuild and help your immune system stay strong enough to fight off infection.
  • Vitamin C – vitamin C helps your body make collagen. When your body is recovering, it needs healthy connective tissue and collagen is what those ligaments and tendons are made of. Citrus fruits, vegetables, berries, and potatoes can help ensure you get enough vitamin C.
  • Calcium – this mineral is not made in the body and our bones are continually losing small amounts of it, so we need to consume calcium to maintain strong bones. Dairy like milk, cheese, and yogurt are often the sources we think of first, but chew on this: spinach, kale, and chia seeds are loaded with even more calcium.
  • Vitamin D – this nutrient makes sure we can absorb calcium from the food we eat and can be found in orange juice, almond milk, and many of the same foods that contain protein and calcium.
Avoid caffeine, alcohol, excessive sugar, and salt as they can all slow bone healing by depleting your body of nutrients.

Since you may be dealing with multiple issues causing the energy drain, if it continues, you may want to check in with your Primary Care Physician for further advice.

I hope you get some restorative rest this weekend. :fingersx::sleep:
@Starmarie
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re feeling better than you were a month ago, gaining strength and enjoying progress in your recovery. We’d love to read an update if you have the time to leave one.
Wishing you a very happy holiday season and a wonderful 2022!
@Starmarie
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom