THR THR Posterior - Slowly Healing

@Layla -wow & thank you!!! This group has really gotten me through so rough days & nights. I am so thankful I stumbled across it on one of my many sleepless nights in the beginning. I hope I can be a blessing of positive hope for others going through this-because it really does help to have others to talk to!!

I am happy to say today has been a great day❤️‍. Feeling very little uncomfortableness throughout the day. I almost “forgot” I had a bad hip-lol. Took it easy today & really just enjoyed my day. And that I am thankful for. Tomorrow, I’ll go back to gym for light weights, I’ll see how my body reacts. Thanks @mendogal for your reminder. Getting back is half the battle for me right now. I’m making sure I keep at least a day of rest right now in between sessions.
 
msart,
This group is amazing & I don't care how many well meaning friends & relatives you are surrounded by, unless you have had this surgery & faced a longer recovery than you expected, there is no way any of them can understand what you are experiencing & what recovery is like.
And those others that tell you "their friend" was running marathons 3 weeks after surgery! No way!!!! Is this supposed to help any of us that are struggling with recovery & getting back to our independent lives??? I think not!
 
@myglasshalffull -isnt that the TRUTH!! I’ve heard so many people say, oh hip surgery-no big deal. WHAT!! Matter of fact I went to a store about 6 weeks out with a friend (me struggling) and she told the cashier I had just had hip surgery, the cashier said how many weeks, I said 6, she dead looked at me-and said oh you are fine. I went home and cried-bc I was not fine! So upsetting!! That is why I was very specific about me going back to the gym. I am nowhere, NOWHERE, near where I was pre-surgery. I wanted to make that so clear to those reading my post. Of course, I did have posterior, but still this is a hard hard surgery to get over. I am still struggling-and that is the truth.
 
Hang in there!!! You'll get this ultraslow marathon completed. ((hug))
 
I also had a "friend" that asked me at 8 weeks why I was still using a walker. Said that should be over. Well it wasn't. Didn't bother to explain that I still had a small fracture after surgery that I was trying to let heal on its own, the thought of more surgery was terrifying. I'm not afraid of surgery but just didn't want to start the process all over.
 
This is so true!
Just before my surgery I had so many people tell me that so and so had hip surgery and they did so well and I'll be right in no time at all.
Truth is it takes a long time.
I'm 5 weeks tomorrow and I still pop opioids now and then and take voltaren tablets nearly daily to get me through.
It is a long recovery.
 
Last edited:
@myglasshalffull i certainly do not want to repeat this process ever if I can help it!! This was hardly what I had envisioned in my mind. I’m sure we can all agree on that. @Morgan Le Fay -you have to do what you have to do to get past the painful days & nights. You hang in there-I know it is a snails crawl pace-but eventually good days do come.

I had a good day today myself. I am not too sore from Friday gym-so that’s good. The ease of getting up & down from machines was not that bad, although I’m still slow & taking my time. Will see how I feel tomorrow-but so far so good. I even went with my daughter & 2yr old granddaughter to see Santa today. It was raining here (AGAIN) today and I thought to myself-my grandbaby is probably the only person I’d have gotten out of house for-tee hee. I am still very unsure of others but thankfully I guess bc of rain Santa was not that busy. I think I have a big fear of falling again, I suppose it will take some time to get past that. Monday I’ll go for my 3 month xray-hoping that will have good results. I am still trying to cross my surgery leg over to good leg-my surgeon says keep practicing. I really would like to be able to do the hip flexor stretch-but surgery leg is not up for that yet.

@mendogal ULTRASLOW INDEED!!! I know when I read 6 months to 2yr recovery, I could not comprehend that. But now I see how it really is true!!

Sorry for the book tonight-a bit restless I suppose. Hope everyone has a good, restful & pain free night!! ❤️‍
 
msart: RE: falling
My biggest & worst fear after falling & getting hurt. And my OS kept saying "just don't fall." Who the heck wants to fall! But that fear will pass. Last year on my 2 year anniversary I hiked 2 days in a row over rugged rock scrambles & nice walking paths as well. I had my partner to help me down some of the rock scrambles which was awesome. I felt such a feeling of accomplishment once I had completed the hike. At the end we jumped into the turquoise blue Caribbean waters to cool down.
Sounds like a nice day with your daughter & grand baby. We had my partner's family here yesterday to celebrate "Christmas." That way everyone can do their own thing on Christmas Day. He has 2 sons that are married & a daughter, his daughter has 2 boys 8 & 3 & they had so much fun. My house looked like a bomb went off when they left but it cleaned up quick.
 
@myglasshalffull -“Christmas” sounds so lovely!!♥️♥️ I am actually having mine Saturday with my sister & her husband (from Dallas), my daughter & boyfriend & granddaughter & my parents. It’s just easier since divorce on my daughter bc she has so many places to go now. And I think it’s easier on my sister too. So it’s a win-win here. This is my first year in MY new home to celebrate, I’m actually excited. Could do w/o this hip thing though-lol. But I can’t change is so I’m just accepting it. I really can’t wait to have everyone over this year.

The hike sounds amazing!! I can not wait to have a story to tell after I’m healed up!! Right now-I’m still trying to make it upstairs and down without having any swelling afterwards. Hiking maybe a while yet for me!!!
 
This is my first year in MY new home to celebrate, I’m actually excited.
I really can’t wait to have everyone over this year.
I'm happy for you, msart! I hope you have a wonderful time creating memories with those you love. Enjoy! :santa-dance::merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
 
You will get there msart, do not worry about that! There were days when I wondered if I'd ever be "normal" again. And I did get there, took me a little longer than I wanted but it all worked out!
Enjoy your new home & "Christmas" celebration with your family!
 
Thank you both for the kind words-@Layla & @myglasshalffull ♥️. Hoping everyone stays well & for a lovely early “first Christmas” here this weekend.

I feel like I’ve pushed myself the past 2 days, so tomorrow I’m staying home & resting, bc I am tired. I got very overwhelmed at the grocery store today-this is the 2nd time that has happened there. I think it is just busier than usual out there this time of year & I am still unsure of myself. I got most of what I went for, did not let it upset me & carried on with my day. I had my 3 month xray done this afternoon, so I’m hoping to hear back on that. The only issue I am having other than over doing it, is not being able to cross my surgery leg over. I can cross at my feet, but I can not at my knee cap-like in a 4 position for a hip flexor stretch. Idk why I can’t make my leg cross over-I am frustrated with that bc that is one of my very favorite stretches. I still practice-but it’s not budging. Hopefully all is healing up good inside. The healing inside should be about done I think. But overall I am MUCH better than I was-so I’m trying to remember to be very thankful for that. Hope everyone had a good day.
 
Heard from my surgeon-3 month X-rays look good, so far so good. Did not over do today-feeling pretty good tonight. My only complaint today is my surgery side shoulder has been hurting. It has been hurting for some time now, but now that my legs & hip aren’t bothering me, the pain is more profound, I think. I don’t think I’ve been using it to much, due to hip improving. I will see my RA dr in January, so if it is still bothering me-I’ll have it looked at. Hopefully nothing but my body resetting itself as I continue to heal up.
 
Good Evening msart,
Thankfully all looks good on your x-ray and you're feeling better this evening.
Could the achy shoulder be from weaning off a prescription pain med, or strain from using an assistive device?
Whatever, the origin, I hope it eases for you and you're able to have a pain free weekend and Christmas. :console2:
Sleep well tonight!
@msart
 
Happy to hear your X-Ray looks good, such a relief to know everything is where it's supposed to be. As Layla mentioned your shoulder pain could be from assistive device or just pushing yourself up from a chair.
When I broke my ankle 5 years ago I did a number on my shoulders by using them to go backwards up the stairs cause I'm too klutzy to use crutches! I'd sit and use my arms & shoulders to get me upstairs, then I had rolling office chair to get around the house! Then using walker after hip surgery some of that pain returned.
Hope you get relief from that shoulder pain, seems one area feels better & onto next area that hurts!
 
@Layla & @myglasshalffull -I’ve been off pain meds for a couple months-do take Tylenol & ibuprofen every now and then so maybe delayed reaction to using my upper body so much. Your right on one body part relief & on to the next . Hopefully a good massage will get this shoulder pain gone!! Hip is sore this am-but it’s raining. Guess it’s her time to let me know-I’m still here. Happy Wednesday!!
 
When I started regaining my stamina & strength I'd make this "loose" plan of what I wanted to accomplish around the house that day. Before the surgery I could clean my entire upstairs area in 2-3 hours & that was big cleaning like washing floors, changing sheets, laundry etc.
Then after maybe a couple of the projects I planned "Miss Hip" would decide she needed a rest. She always got her way! I have a very Type A personality that when I set out to do something it must get done that day! But I had to learn to listen so "Miss Hip" & I would go lay on couch downstairs & rest for awhile. So instead of getting everything done right away some of it had to wait.
Maybe it was the universes way of telling me to slow down, that it would all be there later or next day.
In any case I learned patience, a quality I never possessed prior.
 
This is so true!
Just before my surgery I had so many people tell me that so and so had hip surgery and they did so well and I'll be right in no time at all.
Truth is it takes a long time.
I'm 5 weeks tomorrow and I still pop opioids now and then and take voltaren tablets nearly daily to get me through.
It is a long recovery.
Thank you thank you thank you for this post! This is exactly my experience including the occasional opioid which I resisted thinking "I shouldn't need." No wonder I had too much pain to sleep! If only I could remember that each of us is unique!
 
Back
Top Bottom